Fantasmic vs. American Idol Debate: The decline of Hollywood Studios

TakeMeThere81

I hope they start to bring it back more often. I love that show!!! We were there purposely on Sat, Jan 17th, and went to see it...there was a sort of paper posted over the showing times saying it was canceled or something. We were so bummed! This was on a night when RnR broke down and Indy was taken over by a dance competition, Backlot tour was getting refurbished and the Hat was being painted.

We had a great time...but I was disappointed (which takes a lot, I TRY not be a WDW Whiner)

drew81

So Fantasmic is packed during the 2 shows a week now.

How busy would it be if it were offered nightly? 1/2, 3/4 full?

I don't think it would be packed.

It would be full. I've seen Fantasmic at many different times through the years and it always has been full.

drew81

Just this one?? :p

Probably too many to count.

I would like for her to have to work Studios Guest Relations one night. Then she could hear from all the guests that got turned away and from dining package guests that showed up in plenty of time but still had no seating because other guests took over that seating area. But that probably wouldn't even make her realize what a stupid decision she made.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Errin Wallace.... the woman who thought she was celebrating Epcots 25th on the same stage as used in 1982. Good to knows she know her parks.

nemofinder22

Its usually Mon and Thurs. this week it looks like 2 shows on Mon and Fri at 7pm and 8:15pm

196.jpg

262.jpg

261.jpg

jakeman

So I am assuming that the OP let Guest Relations know, both at the time of the visit and with a written follow up letter?

Regardless of the reasons, there are probably not many that feel this was a good decision. The only way to change Disney's mind is with numerous complaints and more importantly the pocketbook.

Ranting on a fan website is going to accomplish very little, except perhaps make you feel better.

WDWSEARCHER

I love Fantasmic, but I"m sorry, I'm just not gonna sit on those metal bleachers for 2 hours prior. If that's what it takes to see it, I'll just have to pass. Too bad.

Kobe!!

Newbie here....

I am going to Disney in March. I was just reading a few of the posts in this thread, and do I litterly have to wait 2 hours ahead of time for this show? :cool:

I was thinking about an hour, but two? Is this for real??:mad:

sarabi

Fantasmic could be a show I would watch more than once every 10 years if they didn't have a theater that reached capacity. Getting there and having to sit on uncomfortable bleachers and wait for upwards of 2 hours is ridiculous, and then you can't just come and go as you please. So, I have to preface my response by saying I don't love Fantasmic.

That said, I'm really sorry you planned your day around seeing it and then were dissappointed that the theater reached capacity.

On the other hand, what did you expect the cast member you spoke with to do? The ideal response, I suppose, would be "you're right, American Idol is stupid and shouldn't affect Fantasmic, which is awesome, like it will, so I will cancel American Idol". But the cast member really is not empowered to do that. Nor are they empowered to ignore capacity. Capacity is not subjective, unfortunately. I suppose she could've said "I'll bring your complaint to management" and probably should've said that, but let's be honest... I dont' think that would change the outcome of the situation.

Not that I'm a fan of AI, but it does have everything to do with Disney in that it's owned by Disney. I think it's kinda unfair to lash out at AI because you didn't make it into your show on time, and it's unfair to lash out at the cast member whose job it was to do crowd control because she couldn't make an exception for you.

My advice is (and I only say this because it's the only way to make yourself happy)... show up early. Really early. And turn a blind eye to AI if it's not your thing. Maybe write a letter suggesting an alternative which would allow more showings of fantasmic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Newbie here....

I am going to Disney in March. I was just reading a few of the posts in this thread, and do I litterly have to wait 2 hours ahead of time for this show? :cool:

I was thinking about an hour, but two? Is this for real??:mad:
Keep an eye around here for more showings per week. If it remains at two or three I`d recommend asking the greeter at the Hollywood Hills entrance how it`s looking 2 hours before show time - or if there is a long line on Sunset be prepared to join it when it moves.

BTW - welcome :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Here is the "story" for Illuminations.

The fireworks go.
The fireworks stop.
They play lame music.
There is a big ball TV that you can't see.
More lame music.
Fireworks start again.
They don't play the "Bad News Bears" song anymore?
Lights come back up.

Not really a story.
WELCOME TO WDWMAGIC!:D:wave:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Reflections-of-Earth.htm

Here's some reading for you.
Errin Wallace.... the woman who thought she was celebrating Epcots 25th on the same stage as used in 1982. Good to knows she know her parks.
My favorite..."In front of the Spaceship Earth and the American Pavilion.:dazzle::lol:

epcotWSC

I love Fantasmic, but I"m sorry, I'm just not gonna sit on those metal bleachers for 2 hours prior. If that's what it takes to see it, I'll just have to pass. Too bad.

Have to agree. 2 hours is a lot of time to just sit around on a bleacher doing nothing. Could be riding RnR, ToT or going on TSM in that extra hour that you have to wait.

the-reason14

If you haven't ever seen it, how do you know?

I've never seen it either but I know that waiting 2 HOURS before a show starts and then the 30 or however long the show is, is wasting near 3 hours of time at mgm where I could be riding ToT or the coaster with no line. Maybe even TSM. I do regret not seeing it though, I've seen vids but thats nothing. I told myself I would watch it a few years ago, and never got around to it. And honestly, with this effed up schedule they got going, Im gonna be doing what I always do and thats hitting the rides.

Vernonpush

Have to agree. 2 hours is a lot of time to just sit around on a bleacher doing nothing. Could be riding RnR, ToT or going on TSM in that extra hour that you have to wait.
Not if all those other people are being turned away from Fantasmic! are in line too.

262.jpg

[/quote]

I know this is random but really random!
Did that thing say:
Sounds Dangerous---Closed temporally operates seasonally!_____Show stinks and anyone knows why this operates seasonally???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom