Fantasmic! 2.0 Rumors, Speculation, Announcments

SuddenStorm

I wonder if there will be any segments of the show that will stay exactly the same as they were. The only scene that I think would be completely safe is the finale with the Mark Twain and Sorceror Mickey.

Or maybe the lady's intro "welcome to fantasmic da da da"

TP2000

Davison created the TDS Fantasmic, so it would make sense that there would be some shared elements here.

I've seen the Tokyo Fantasmic! twice, from both sides of the lagoon, and I'm afraid that it's kind of a messy mess. The music is great, the visuals are stunning at times, but overall it just looks and feels like an Everything And The Kitchen Sink! kind of production. My Japanese has gotten better, so I can actually make out a few of the words of dialogue, but it's just such a frenetic orgy of visuals that it overwhelms without much heart or charm.

It also feels so different because so much of the viewing you are perched high above the lagoon looking down on it, instead of at Disneyland where it towers above you or is at eye level.

Sometimes I think Davison, who is very talented, gets too much of a pass when his shows get a bit messy. But that's just me.

Figments Friend

I've been hearing from a few folks who have seen some of the testing and rehearsals.

They are raving about the new lighting upgrades, particularly the new laser spectrum lighting effects.
Maleficent also delivers in a big way.

Probably the two words I've been hearing from them the most is 'impressive' and 'amazing'.

Sounds promising.....fingers crossed it's more then just the cool looking technology that is being described.

-

D

Deleted member 107043

I've been hearing from a few folks who have seen some of the testing and rehearsals.

They are raving about the new lighting upgrades, particularly the new laser spectrum lighting effects.

Probably the two words I've been hearing from them the most is 'impressive' and 'amazing'.

Sounds promising.....fingers crossed it's more then just the cool looking technology that is being described.

-

Not surprising really. Most of the tech in the show was probably from 1992 when it first opened. It's about time.

PiratesoftheHM

-

Sounds exciting. I'm open to some change but I hope that the music and vibe traditional Disney magic and less pop. Save that for Paint the Night (which is great, and has its place, but it doesn't all need to be that way). I still remember probably almost a year ago now @WDW1974 saying that F! 2.0 would make the classic F! fanbois drool. Hoping that proves to be the case.

Disney Analyst

There was a pipe layed at the edge of island right by water a couple weeks back. It looks like there are nozzles every few inches. Hoping for a fire or water effect.

jrhwdw

Original score > TDS Fantasmic score.
Oh, I agree there, except for when Mickey slays the dragon in TDS: Very impressive to see!

I'm just saying the was enough of the F! main instrumental theme in the finale, I didn't really miss it at the beginning since I love TDS's Imagination theme. I do miss "See it in your Mind" in the finale since I grew up with it on both coasts. I do wonder if they can link the 2 themes together some how, The're both very good.

nevol

I love the narration in the beginning of Disneyland's, and how the show explodes into action as the rest of the park fades to darkness. Those horns and the bright spotlights KILL ME. The show is actually really psychedelic and I love that its a linear journey through mickey's dream. Even some of the weirder parts like the elephants and the pinochio puppets work because of the contrast/variety to the imagination and soundscape they provide. I really don't want them to kill that intro... if we must take Tokyo's score with our hands tied behind our backs, can they throw it into the middle before the evil witch/things start to go south?

jmuboy

I love the narration in the beginning of Disneyland's, and how the show explodes into action as the rest of the park fades to darkness. Those horns and the bright spotlights KILL ME. The show is actually really psychedelic and I love that its a linear journey through mickey's dream. Even some of the weirder parts like the elephants and the pinochio puppets work because of the contrast/variety to the imagination and soundscape they provide. I really don't want them to kill that intro... if we must take Tokyo's score with our hands tied behind our backs, can they throw it into the middle before the evil witch/things start to go south?

I'm ok with some of these changes. Never really loved the Kaa/Jungle scene. And if pan must be Pirates (its weird to have live action in Mickey's head) I can be ok with it. I'd rather have this stuff be plug and play. Meaning the show is the same with tech enhancements and a few minutes/movies swapped for others.

Time will tell.

drizgirl

I'm ok with some of these changes. Never really loved the Kaa/Jungle scene. And if pan must be Pirates (its weird to have live action in Mickey's head) I can be ok with it. I'd rather have this stuff be plug and play. Meaning the show is the same with tech enhancements and a few minutes/movies swapped for others.

Time will tell.
I also think it's odd that most of Mickey's dream will be animated, but the Pirates section won't. Not sure how they do that without it feeling out of place.

I haven't kept up. Do we have any idea if the puppets and dancing monkeys will still be there?

Nland316

Original Poster
I haven't kept up. Do we have any idea if the puppets and dancing monkeys will still be there?
I have heard that the monkeys are returning, with a new look/costumes. They're supposedly not fluorescent or fuzzy. I've also heard that we are getting an updated Kaa puppet, and that the Pink Elephant puppets are gone in favor of projection.

drizgirl

I have heard that the monkeys are returning, with a new look/costumes. They're supposedly not fluorescent or fuzzy. I've also heard that we are getting an updated Kaa puppet, and that the Pink Elephant puppets are gone in favor of projection.
Interesting. Thanks!

Not fuzzy or fluorescent? Not sure if it will be the same. But it will be interesting to see.

SuddenStorm

I'm surprised that the Pink Elephant Section is rumored to still be around- it's very unique and I thought it'd for sure be gone.

But, I love it- so I'm alright if it stays around in some form.

MTBaymax

The one thing I'll give TDS's version credit for - it actually melds the Sorcerers Apprentice theme into a larger part of the music score, not just with Mickey playing sorcerer. It would be nice if that were the case with the upgrades.

nevol

The one thing I'll give TDS's version credit for - it actually melds the Sorcerers Apprentice theme into a larger part of the music score, not just with Mickey playing sorcerer. It would be nice if that were the case with the upgrades.

That's cool but I still love the way the Disneyland show begins. Maybe at the part where they bring in the projection screens for the Sorcerer's apprentice part of the openig they could blend to Tokyo's score. But I love the original score too much to want to see it go. I know tokyo kept it also for their finale which is odd. I really don't think their opening is an improvement so I'm curious how that decision was made to create a new opening, new score, and then end with the original score's finale. I don't know. They give more time to the sorcerer's apprentice score but it doesn't even seem to be blended with the other track. And having the screaming contemporary show tune lyrics over the instrumentals completely masks them, and I feel like it's distracting. It is really heavy handed, honestly. I like to describe splash mountain as being very tonal. The colors and soundtrack shift in each scene and the story might not be one everybody can put into words but its clear as day the emotional progression, and Fantasmic! was/is like that as well. It also makes the show more feminine. There is the lyrical animated classic scene mid-show, but otherwise it is fairly instrumental and gender-neutral. Something about the Tokyo score renders the entire show's mood the way the animated romance scene does in Disneyland's original. Let the music be tonal and emotional on its own, and leave the heavy-handed Disney-trying-to-be-cool-and-contemporary show-tune screaming at me about how I should feel out of it. This is more important to me than perhaps anything in the new show. All the other changes I can definitely happily live with but the horns bursting to action and the original score (which has already been rumored to be changing) is honestly the most important thing to me. I do NOT trust Disney creative entertainment's instincts at all these days. Look no further than Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever's scores. I can live with paint the night as a show, but Disneyland Forever in particular proves to me that Disney Entertainment has zero idea what works and what doesn't in the park. Perhaps it was contemporary in opposition of R...DCT (which I'm so happy is back), and because they wanted to cement that the park is still fresh at 60, but they completely went for annoying at the expense of the emotion and nostalgia that is present in Remember. It seems like they are more interested in seeming hip/cool, which is meaningless and fleeting, and which they don't do well at all.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom