Fantasmic! 2.0 Rumors, Speculation, Announcments

Nland316

Original Poster
Fantasmic! has been dark for almost the past year and a half, but is rumored to return with new scenes and tech enhancements later this summer. I felt that it was about time to start a thread on this beloved return as we approach the supposed reopening of the show. As for what updates may be in store, lips have been sealed pretty tight, but rumors suggest a new Pirates of the Caribbean scene- replacing Peter Pan on the Colombia, as well as a Tangled scene- presumably with glowing lanterns. Recently I saw a tweet of a screenshot from the DPB that basically confirm show enhancements. Let's hope that the quirkiness and charm of the show is still kept intact and the updates do the show some good! https://twitter.com/woc91elefante/status/833843859041849344

Figments Friend

I'm looking forward to the new edition.
Interested to see what is added and how they decide to stage it.

I'm hoping for some stellar 'magical' moments that will make viewers gasp in wonder.

I'm hoping for a exciting and tastefully done 'Disney nighttime staged spectacular'

I'm hoping for a lush, symphonic musical journey and NOT yet another 'Disney video clip show'.

I'm hoping for 'Murphy' to be in excellent condition and ready to roar for another twenty years.

I'm also hoping it is not saturated with 'Pixar' , 'Marvel', and 'Star Wars' references.

Fingers, arms, and legs crossed.
Don't let us down, DLR Entertainment!

-

D

Deleted member 107043

I mean, 2009 was really Fantasmic 1.5 - the content didn't change at all. This is the first time the show's content will really be shaken up.

And it's not a moment too soon. Loved the old show but after seeing the ginormous mist screens and soaring fountains in WoC the Fantasmic production seemed a little lacking. It was still good, but a refresh definitely wouldn't hurt.

SuddenStorm

And it's not a moment too soon. Loved the old show but after seeing the ginormous mist screens and soaring fountains in WoC the Fantasmic production seemed a little lacking. It was still good, but a refresh definitely wouldn't hurt.

I don't think the mist screens or fountains will be much bigger for this iteration unless Disney really dumps some money into it. In 2014, they added new fountains that were similar to WoC but they kept breaking so they went back to being static.

The Woc vs. Fantasmic debate will go on till the end of time- I think that Woc has fountain and screen effects better than F!, but F! has better music, clips, and other effects. Actual performers is a real plus as well.

SuddenStorm

What worries me is the potential loss of original animation and renditions of classic Disney songs. They might just take a WoC and play the clips from the movies- with the same audio, over the fountains with actors dancing on stage etc. which I think might be a huge loss.

A few months ago on Reddit, a guy claiming to be a Cast Member (which I always take with a grain of salt, since that could be some guy working the churro cart) shared this

"We are hoping to change fastpass up(not solid news), Peter Pan is out and replaced with pirates of the Caribbean with some awesome effects, Pinocchio is also out(he didn't work near the end) and replaced with some unknown scene, bigger/more princess barges, new lights and effects overall and some new finale that I'm unsure of as of now!"

This lines up with what we've heard, and makes sense. Not really any new news, just thought I'd share.

I also predict that most of the Fantasia bits will go, and the Pink Elephants segment.

SuddenStorm

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion- but what if Disney just scrapped the whole show, and developed a new soundtrack, and new uses for the island, Columbia, and Twain? By altering the current show, they limit their creative abilities (in the same vein as overlaying an attraction).

This would also prevent it from having to compete with 25 years of nostalgia. Disney could likely do some pretty amazing stuff.

Nland316

Original Poster
Snippets I've gathered from @DLThings on Twitter, and just general online sources:
-New projections on Colombia and TSI
-Tangled is in (i'm hoping for drone lanterns)
-No Marvel, Star Wars, or Frozen
-Aladdin is replacing Pinocchio
-POTC is replacing Peter Pan
-June 16th is the target date, but of course things shift and is most definitely not confirmed

And I'm sure there are others, but I really hope that these changes don't butcher the show. They are already quite extensive but I am remaining cautiously optimistic.

brb1006

I'm looking forward to the new edition.
Interested to see what is added and how they decide to stage it.

I'm hoping for some stellar 'magical' moments that will make viewers gasp in wonder.

I'm hoping for a exciting and tastefully done 'Disney nighttime staged spectacular'

I'm hoping for a lush, symphonic musical journey and NOT yet another 'Disney video clip show'.

I'm hoping for 'Murphy' to be in excellent condition and ready to roar for another twenty years.

I'm also hoping it is not saturated with 'Pixar' , 'Marvel', and 'Star Wars' references.

Fingers, arms, and legs crossed.
Don't let us down, DLR Entertainment!

-
New animation for the water screens is welcome.

brb1006

What worries me is the potential loss of original animation and renditions of classic Disney songs. They might just take a WoC and play the clips from the movies- with the same audio, over the fountains with actors dancing on stage etc. which I think might be a huge loss.

A few months ago on Reddit, a guy claiming to be a Cast Member (which I always take with a grain of salt, since that could be some guy working the churro cart) shared this

"We are hoping to change fastpass up(not solid news), Peter Pan is out and replaced with pirates of the Caribbean with some awesome effects, Pinocchio is also out(he didn't work near the end) and replaced with some unknown scene, bigger/more princess barges, new lights and effects overall and some new finale that I'm unsure of as of now!"

This lines up with what we've heard, and makes sense. Not really any new news, just thought I'd share.

I also predict that most of the Fantasia bits will go, and the Pink Elephants segment.
But the Fantasia bits sorta served as an unofficial symbol for the show.

TP2000

I had a moments panic that this was at wdw and fantasmic wouldn't be happening during my trip - this is only disneyland currently, correct?
Yes. WDW has never changed their show, nor even closed it for a good long rehab.

Disneyland's Fantasmic has had three long rehabs in the last 15 years, and it has been closed for 14 months and will reopen as a new show with new tech and scenes and characters this summer.

GiveMeTheMusic

Yes. WDW has never changed their show, nor even closed it for a good long rehab.

Disneyland's Fantasmic has had three long rehabs in the last 15 years, and it has been closed for 14 months and will reopen as a new show with new tech and scenes and characters this summer.

A Fantasmic redo at WDW is on the table, but TDO has not committed the budget. And they may not ever, because WDW fans love circa 1998 Fantasmic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom