Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Thousands Stolen From Family's Safe At Disney Resort

POSTED: 11:29 am EDT May 10, 2004

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A family from India says its visit to the happiest place on earth has been miserable. The family says someone broke into their Disney hotel suite and cleaned out their safe, stealing thousands of dollars.

The family says, instead of helping, the resort staff added insult to their injury.

Kaajal Anand says the plan was to end their trip to Disney World with a visit to one of the theme parks, but she says that plan drastically changed when she walked over to the safe in her suite to grab some cash.

"When I reached the safe, there was a second key in the safe and the safe was open and everything was gone," she explains.

Her passport, airline tickets, $3,000 in cash, $10,000 in travelers checks, Anand says the thief packed it all in her $3,000 Louis Vuitton travel bag and walked away.

But, Anand says, what is more shocking is how she believes the thief got into her room. She says hotel managers practically invited them in.

Anand says desk clerks at the Wilderness Lodge told her someone called from the room claiming to have lost their safe key.

"So, they actually sent an engineer up who made a second key for this person," she explains.

Anand says she could not believe this, since she was so thoroughly screened when she checked into the resort.

"It was such a procedure for me to get checked into my room. How come it was so easy for somebody to get a key to the safe without ID?" she wonders.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is investigating the burglary.

A Disney representative told Channel 9, they are cooperating with the sheriff's office and conducting their own investigation as well.

As for Anand, she says she is borrowing money from friends in hopes she can fly to New York on Monday and get another passport to get home to India.

"I'm stranded. I don't have money, I don't have credit cards and I don't have my ticket, and the airline won't allow me out of here without photo ID," she says.

The sheriff's office says, since this is a property crime and not a violent crime, it could take several days before a detective is assigned to the case and they get to the bottom of this.

PhotoDave219

Hmmm..... How'd someone get in their room to call the front desk in the first place?

There's something fishy here, and its not Bay Lake.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Yes, I too thought that was odd myself. How could they have called from inside the room? And then again, I thought the safes needed a number combination, and not keys. Definitely should keep our eyes on this one.

We've stayed in the WL twice and both times the safe has been a keyed safe. With the kind of money they had in there I wouldn't be surprised if they were on the concierge level. I can't vouch for what their safes are like.

If they were on the concierge, then how did they get up there? That is a keycarded area.

My thoughts are either:

1) someone in the party lost/had stolen their room key and it was a professional job.

2) someone that works in the resort was a party to the crime.

or

3) there are no validity to the claims and this is fraud on the part of the victim.

I have no validity to assess to any of the three situations above.

StevenT

Very interesting article. This is why you always carry at least some of you money, and credit cards on you. I'd say split it up, carry some money on you and leave some in the safe. That way if someone cracks the safe you still have the money you are carrying, and if you get mugged, there is still money in the safe.

Almost serves her right for leaving $13,000 and a $3,000 designer bag in her room. Someone probably saw her carry that expensive bag up and thought that they could make a quick dollar.

civileng68

Account Suspended
hmmmm

Something else that doesnt make sense is that she says she has no money, yet as a former banker, I can tell you those $10,000.00 in travelers cheques are fully replaceable immediately at another bank.

That's the whole purpose in haveing travelers cheques

StevenT

Why didn't I think of that! You are absolutley right! If you couldn't replace traveler's checks then it would just make sense to carry money!

I am thinking that this is just a case of fraud.

BRER STITCH

:lookaroun

Too many "red flags" here......

Can't wait to hear the "real" story after the investigation!

A thief would not normally steal a plane ticket and a passport unless they planned on using them. Seems pretty simple to show up at the airport for the scheduled flight and catch them!

:lol:

And...why would she have all that money left on her LAST day of vacation??? Also, not much mention of her family outside of the first line of the story. She was in a suite. Probably lots of family members around. Did the thief only steal HER stuff??

Oh well....I'll be watching for more info....

Disney2002

Yeah, they only lost $3000 in actuality. Homeowners issurance might even cover the bag.

It does sound way too much like a scheme to me.

StevenT

$13,000 in cash and travelers checks is quite a large amount to have left by the end of your vacation. Usually you try to only bring with you what you think you are going to spend. Then again it does mention a $3,000 bag, so if she is rich enough to blow a few grand on a bag, maybe she brought a couple hundred thousand on her trip.

civileng68

Account Suspended

Sort of sounds like this could be a case of overspending on a vacation and getting in financial trouble and then bringing this out.

About stealing plane tickets, honestly, when someone breaks in and steals stuff, sometimes they just take whatever's there, and then dump the stuff they don't want later.

However, this is WAY too fishy. No explanation of how the person got in there in the first place................then I am still baffled by the traveler's cheques. If you really did have 10,000 in traveler's cheques, all you have to do is go get more, BUT, YOU CAN'T IF YOU SPENT THEM! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yo ho.

barnum42

Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by civileng68
Something else that doesnt make sense is that she says she has no money, yet as a former banker, I can tell you those $10,000.00 in travelers cheques are fully replaceable immediately at another bank.

That's the whole purpose in haveing travelers cheques
I'm no banker, but that's what I was going to say!

civileng68

Account Suspended
i dont know

Originally posted by StevenT
So are you saying that you think they spent them and are claiming the checks were stolen? Interesting...:lookaroun

I dont want to out right accuse anyone, but, I can say that I sold large amounts of travelers cheques and the whole point of having them is if they get stolen they are fully replaceable.

You keep track of what you spend on a stub and the cheques are also linked to your name in a book when you buy them at the bank. when they are spent they are recorded. So it's so easy to replace them, you just go to the bank, they pull up the cheques records by your name or SS# and however many cheques you bought but did not spend are replaceable and the lost one's are made void.

It's as easy as going to a local bank and replacing them. I used to replace them all of the time. It's a 10 minute process. It wouldn't surprise me if there's MUCH more to this story.

swimmom

I'm wondering if the travelers checks ever existed?!?!? Since they are replaceable, there shouldn't be any problem with them. Is she trying to get a free vacation, since she has no way of paying at check-out?!?!

SpongeScott

well, most everyone has smelled the same thing I've smelled--a big rat (and it ain't Mickey). Civileng is right on all counts here.

StevenT

Originally posted by swimmom
Is she trying to get a free vacation, since she has no way of paying at check-out?!?!

That is a possibility. Figure she was staying at a Wilderness Lodge SUITE, not a very cheap room. She was from India so that is quite a long journey from there to WDW therefore she probably stayed at least a week. That hotel bill would add up. Maybe she realized that WDW is the most expensive place on earth and needed a quick way out.

beattyfamily

This person is from India. Maybe it's not that easy to replace those Travellers checks if her receipts are at home?

Maybe it takes a bit longer when you're in a foreign country?

Maybe they do not have a credit card so cash/travellers checks was the only way to go?

Regardless of whether we agree with how this person brought their vacation money to Disney, the fact remains that Disney admits to making a safe key for someone other than the person in the room! Disney is a fault for not asking for ID for that person! Disney should help this person get their new IDs (in NY) and give them a place to stay till it is resolved.

It very easy for someone to get into a room at Disney. Stolen key, mousekeeping leaving the door open etc...

I can't believe someone said they 'almost' deserve this happening to them.:(

I think they were being watched, or its someone they knew, or an inside job.

I feel so sorry for them. I couldn't even imagine this happening to me in another country.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom