Family of 5 in a minivan

sbkline

We have a third baby coming in August and I am really trying to plan a trip for late May/early June of next year. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan with stow and go seating and previously, we would fold down the back seats and pile all the luggage back there. But now our oldest will be sitting in the smaller of the back seats, with the baby and middle child in the middle seats. I'm not sure whether all of our stuff will fit in the remaining space and I am trying to think of the best way to store our stuff on top of the van using the luggage rack.

My first thought was to get a set of ratchet straps and a tarp and just put some of the stuff (like the two big suitcases and the stroller perhaps) directly on top of the van between the luggage rack bars, put a tarp over it in case it rains, then strap it all down using the ratchet straps. Possible problems with that is that if it rains, I'm sure the tarp will help, but some water would probably still leak under, as well as the question of whether it would be good for the van to just put stuff directly on top of the van. The wife is also afraid of our stuff being vandalized when we stop overnight at a hotel on the way, so we may have to take it down, take it into the hotel and then put it all back in the morning, which sounds like a hassle.

At Walmart, they sell other things that we could use, but they are more expensive, but I don't want to lose our stuff, damage our van or having it get soaked in the rain (although we are staying in a condo, so we could just do laundry when we get there if necessary).

Just wondering if anyone else has travelled in the way I described above and how it worked. If not, what was your solution for how to load it up on top?

You can get a clamshell thing. It locks. They run 100-200 depending on the material and lock.
Ask around with friends and family as well. You may be able to borrow one. I heard some places rent them.

If you buy, You have to store it, so that may be a problem if you don't have the space.
I think many need you to have the luggage rack bars on the can. Not sure about all of them.
If you are stopping overnight I wouldn't do anything with a lock.

Upvote 0

smk

We have a third baby coming in August and I am really trying to plan a trip for late May/early June of next year. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan with stow and go seating and previously, we would fold down the back seats and pile all the luggage back there. But now our oldest will be sitting in the smaller of the back seats, with the baby and middle child in the middle seats. I'm not sure whether all of our stuff will fit in the remaining space and I am trying to think of the best way to store our stuff on top of the van using the luggage rack.

My first thought was to get a set of ratchet straps and a tarp and just put some of the stuff (like the two big suitcases and the stroller perhaps) directly on top of the van between the luggage rack bars, put a tarp over it in case it rains, then strap it all down using the ratchet straps. Possible problems with that is that if it rains, I'm sure the tarp will help, but some water would probably still leak under, as well as the question of whether it would be good for the van to just put stuff directly on top of the van. The wife is also afraid of our stuff being vandalized when we stop overnight at a hotel on the way, so we may have to take it down, take it into the hotel and then put it all back in the morning, which sounds like a hassle.

At Walmart, they sell other things that we could use, but they are more expensive, but I don't want to lose our stuff, damage our van or having it get soaked in the rain (although we are staying in a condo, so we could just do laundry when we get there if necessary).

Just wondering if anyone else has travelled in the way I described above and how it worked. If not, what was your solution for how to load it up on top?
Two round trips to California/Oregon with 5 in a Dodge Grand Caravan from Indiana with coolers, food, luggage and all never had a problem with the luggage on the roof with a tarp. It did worry me, not going to lie, but we did it and it was not that much of a hassle. We kept one overnight bag in the car and just took that in each night to wherever we stopped. The covers do sound interesting, if you can find one in your price range it would be a good purchase, in my opinion. Sounds like you could make good use of it now and in the future!

Upvote 0

rt06

I had an XCargo strapped to the roof of my minivan for a cross country road trip. It was a much older model where you had to provide your own lock. You just can't worry about theft. A tarp is more cumbersome because it needs constant readjustment if you keep adding/removing items. That thing's gotta be on tight. You're also faced with the dreaded bungee cord whip. At least with an XCargo, you strap it and forget it. Much easier access.

I should add that if you don't plan on touching anything between point A and point B, then a tarp will suffice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I don't know if you have a hitch on your minivan, but if you don't see yourself needing to open up the back a lot you could also consider both a luggage carrier for the roof as well as a hitch carrier.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/48-Basket...itch-Carrier-with-a-500-lb.-Capacity/29389663

I know a number of people who like having both since they can get into the roof carrier once they reach their intended destination, but can access the things in the hitch carrier for stops along the way.

I also don't know how the storage area compares, but they sell soft versions of the roof carriers now that are also waterproof.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rightline-Gear-Sport-3-Car-Top-Carrier-100S30/16540006

Of course, something like this might be more secure...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SportRack-Skyline-XL-Roof-Mount-Cargo-Box/23578501

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

I bought (the best way I can describe it) is a black metal carrier for the back of my van that goes in a trailer hitch. I see them all the time driving down to Disney especially on SUVs. I got mine at Walmart it was about 60-70 I think. It would fit 4 roughneck Rubbermaid containers perfectly. And I used ratchet tie downs. I put lots of stuff like extra diapers, etc that I didn't need until we were settled at Disney. Nothing ever got wet inside and it poured. At night traveling, I just simply put them in the van. Once I got to Disney, I stacked up the containers in the back of the van. Only thing I didn't like was driving around with this on the van once we were there, but to me it was better than the roof idea.
Edit HouCuseChickie first link is what I had

Upvote 0

jesemeca

We have taken 7 people in a Dodge Caravan before. Two adults, two 14 year olds, a 6 year old and two 10 month olds. We packed shoes and small bags in the stow and go. Also things were put underneath the back seat. We never needed to pack anything on the roof or use a trailer.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Thanks for all the ideas folks. Obviously, I have a long time to figure it out, but I'm wondering if I could squeeze everything in back where the double seat would fold down and not have to mess with anything on top. Instead of using several small suitcases like we did the past few times, last year we got a big suitcase for $5 at a yard sale so maybe we could condense everything into 2 big suitcases, plus a smaller suitcase to put a change of clothes for the overnight stop along the way. Maybe we could do those 3 suitcases in the spot where the seat folds down, next to where our son would be sitting in the back, and then put the stroller on top of it, and put a few smaller things behind my son's seat. We may be able to work it out, but if not, I may try the hard clamshell container that someone mentioned.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

We have five and have taken driving vacations before, and we have not used the roof rack. We've always managed to "tetris" it so that everything fits in the van. To make it work, we've had to actually remove seats from the van, rather than just folding them down.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Just going to throw this out there...at some point with the little ones you might want some space for movement. Might want some space to have things handy. We broke down and bought the xcargo plastic luggage carrier at Sears for about $200.

We have five in the minivan from Illinois...near STL. We don't stop anymore so we don't need to keep an overnight bag. But when we did stop we kept drinks, snacks and the over night bag in the back.

Upvote 0

SMS55

My neighbor has one of these. They are six and when they travel they need all the room they can get. They use one of these and it suits there needs. One other thing is to try and pack as light as you can to maximize space. You're going in May/June. It's going to be hot so leave the pants and jeans at home unless you're planning a nice meal. With small kids they are never a good idea anyways. Since your baby will be 9-10 months, I recommend getting a small stroller. Don't bring the big industrial limo stroller that a lot people have. Bring a small one, you'll be able to navigate around the parks easier. Since you are driving you can buy things like formula and other stuff at Target or Wal Mart and help lighten the load. Don't bring a pack n play (assuming you're staying on site) and make the request on your reservation and just bring sheets for it. The 10 month old will be fine. S/he will stick to their routine for the most part. They'll eat when they normally do and take naps when they usually do. When they are a little older you'll have to leave the parks because they get over stimulated and the combination of the heat will make them cranky. At 10 months they won't notice it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nemo14

You've had some good suggestions here, but I'll add one other. I don't really think you'll need a roof carrier at all. Your kids clothes won't take up a lot of room especially if you pack them in duffels rather than suitcases. As others have said, the weather will be warm, so you won't need heavy clothes at all - perhaps a jacket for nights, but I doubt that you'll even need that. And with access to the washer and dryer at the condo you really won't need to bring too many outfits. The place where you're staying is literally less than 5 minutes from WalMart, so no need to bring a week's worth of diapers or other supplies with you.since check-in isn't until 4, time your drive so that you can do a supply run before you check in, and you'll be all set. Have fun!

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

You can use the water resistant luggage roof bags. Seen them for around $50.

If your van has a 2" receiver, get a rear luggage rack. Much more convenient.

Personally I'd just stuff all I could in the car. You could always play around with the bags and straps you were thinking of putting on the roof to make sure it works securely.

I would NOT advise a tarp. You will likely hit rain and their noisy and really drag mpg.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom