Family of 5 in a minivan

sbkline

We have a third baby coming in August and I am really trying to plan a trip for late May/early June of next year. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan with stow and go seating and previously, we would fold down the back seats and pile all the luggage back there. But now our oldest will be sitting in the smaller of the back seats, with the baby and middle child in the middle seats. I'm not sure whether all of our stuff will fit in the remaining space and I am trying to think of the best way to store our stuff on top of the van using the luggage rack.

My first thought was to get a set of ratchet straps and a tarp and just put some of the stuff (like the two big suitcases and the stroller perhaps) directly on top of the van between the luggage rack bars, put a tarp over it in case it rains, then strap it all down using the ratchet straps. Possible problems with that is that if it rains, I'm sure the tarp will help, but some water would probably still leak under, as well as the question of whether it would be good for the van to just put stuff directly on top of the van. The wife is also afraid of our stuff being vandalized when we stop overnight at a hotel on the way, so we may have to take it down, take it into the hotel and then put it all back in the morning, which sounds like a hassle.

At Walmart, they sell other things that we could use, but they are more expensive, but I don't want to lose our stuff, damage our van or having it get soaked in the rain (although we are staying in a condo, so we could just do laundry when we get there if necessary).

Just wondering if anyone else has travelled in the way I described above and how it worked. If not, what was your solution for how to load it up on top?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have a number of years worth of experience with the family of 5 thing in a minivan. I have used both the clam shells and the canvas/vinyl and I would give the edge to the clam shells. About the only down side the clam shells have is you have to store them somewhere when not in use.

Since you have time I would keep an eye on Craig's List for one. Many people decide to get rid of theirs once the kids get older and no longer travel with the family. I see them for under $100 all the time.

Upvote 0
We have one of the large generic black vinyl roof bags that we use with our factory roof rack and cross bars. If you have a roof rack and need crossbars I can recommend a great inexpensive manufacturer that is pretty similar to thule. The bag is pretty big, it can fit a 2 large suitcase side by side and still have room in behind it and more to be stacked on top of the cases. It's pretty waterproof, we have driven with it through rainstorms during a 13 hour road trip. Just make sure that the hinged, folded side, the side without the zipper goes in front.

Our car is a subaru forrester and I travel with my wife, daughter, and dog and we are able to fit everything comfortably and safely for our trips.

I don't trust using just the provided straps though, so I also use two ratcheted web strapping/tie-down straps together with our roof rack which helps a lot to compress the bags and gives me the peace of mind that the entire bag is not going to rip off the roof of the car.

My father-in-law has a thule roof bag and it's vinyl and woven webbing material and it seems like a pretty good quality but the size is a lot smaller than our bag and more money as well. he's used it for at least four trips and no complaints yet.

A tip to keep scratching up the roof of your car from luggage and etc.. place a yoga mat underneath the bag. it's thin enough and has enough grip to keep things in place but enough cushion to keep the luggage or other objects from dinging or scratching the paint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

popcenturylover

In 09' we went to WDW in our Dodge Grand Caravan with our 2 teenagers & 8 month old. We didn't use the luggage rack but, utilized every square inch of that van, especially the floor stow aways.

Upvote 0

Wildflower

I've used carry on suitcases for the kids and slid them between the seats and under their feet, my husband's and mine in the far back ('trunk") standing vertically. You have plenty of time to play around with configurations to see what does/doesn't fit! And @Nemo14 made some great points on the weather / what you need as well as buying diapers, etc.... That being said I've mentally used the space I used for diapers en route as a niche for souvenirs on the way home!

Upvote 0

DisneyFreak23

We drive down from Maryland as a family of 7 (5 kids) in our Honda Odyssey and do fine. We put an Excargo (affectionately known as "the snail") on top for kids suitcases and other light bulky items and put our heavier bags in the trunk with any strollers and food, etc... We usually drive down through the night when there's no traffic and the kids watch Disney DVDs before falling asleep.
We've gone through 3 hurricanes in our last 2 trips in August (now switching to May) and the ExCargo roof storage held up great. If you are worried about leaking then place large trash bags over the stuff inside as extra protection.

Upvote 0

Mrsdonaldduck

@sbkline we have a mini van and I was able to get a soft carrier by Rain x at target for $79.99. It was such a great investment. We drove through awful rain and everything stayed dry. We didn't put anything of great value up there just incase but it worked out fine. We drive to Disney with our 3 little ones so I understand :) good luck!

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

Man, we have an '11 Sienna had 3 adults and 2 young kids. Fit everything just fine, and didn't need the roof rack. Maybe we're just light packers. I also had two wardrobes, one for business and one for the parks.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just wondering if anyone else has travelled in the way I described above and how it worked. If not, what was your solution for how to load it up on top?

Best suggestion?? Pack lighter. We too are a family of 5, and had a minivan for years. Even when we goto the beach, meaning taking all our chairs, bodyboards, etc we fit it in. You're going to Disney, it should only be clothes, baby care, and what the kids need to sleep.

Going on a cruise is worse because we have all the formal wear, which doesn't pack as nicely and requires lots of duplicates (shoes, belts, etc). That pushes us to our limit.

You could get a luggage carrier.. or if you have a tow hitch you can get one of the cargo carriers that hooks into it like this - http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...0-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

But I would honestly look at what you are packing to fill up a minivan. Stack that sucker to the ceiling and use the other portion of the backseat.. should be plenty.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom