Family claims white rabbit refused to touch kids (Disneyland)

HatboxGhost

I'm not sure what's more absurd- this comment or the one where someone was able to identify with racism when their kid had bruises in a hospital.

Edit- Or perhaps the one where someone was able to understand the pain of racism because they were a white "minority" in a class "full of Asians."
Before you start calling other peoples posts "absurd" why dont you explain WHY you think it is that way? Can you tell me in all honesty that it is NOT a racist comment on the part of the parents of the children when they automatically assume that it is an act of racism?

Ignohippo

The thing that really kills any credibility they may have for me is the fact that they are suing. I'm sorry, but that in itself makes their claims incredibly suspect.

Complain about it, go to the media if you feel that's the best way to try to make the point, but when you sue for something this minor (and yes, I do believe racism is a horrible thing but it wasn't as if they were refused service or entry) then it screens "cash grab" to me.

Besides, is it not possible the CM in the costume didn't see that the kid was going in for a hug? Is it not possible that the kid tugged on the costume in a way that made the CM leery? The kid looks awfully happy in that picture and the CM is clearly posing with them.

HatboxGhost

E

Exactly. That's like the comic I've seen. A white stick figure and a black figure. The black one asks "why cause I am black" and the white one says "are you asking me that cause I am white?" They both stare at eachother as the comic ends.
It amazes me that the family jumped right to conclusion that it was a racist issue. Also, what about the cm being "in character". Alot of us are going to the Villains party in Sept and the cms....as villains...will be "in character" and maybe kind of grumpy or a little bit mean. That is what I would expect. Maybe the cm as the White Rabbit was "in character". Ok, so now I am officially confused. Lol.

HatboxGhost

Besides, is it not possible the CM in the costume didn't see that the kid was going in for a hug? Is it not possible that the kid tugged on the costume in a way that made the CM leery? The kid looks awfully happy in that picture and the CM is clearly posing with them.
Exactly. There are so many reasons why the cm would act that way.

The Empress Lilly

It makes me a little uncomfortable seeing such immediate dismissal of the claim by so many people. None of us know any more than what the article states. It's likely nothing, but certainly could be something. Racism does exist, after all.

I love disney as much as the rest of you, but it's not immune to disappointing employees.
For me, it is not about loving Disney - a Fortune 100 company.

No, I have a problem with guests sueing to get a poorly paid worker fired 'for racism' (that'll look swell on his/her resumé!). That is one of their main demands, to get the hourly paid employee fired - somebody with kids to feed, with a study to finance, with hospital bills. With enough bad publicity generated, Disney will inevitably decide that the fate of one worker is inconsequential to the fate of TWDC.

A career ruined because of a few self-entitled brats with issues.

That's what is at stake for me here, not a $100 billion dollar company, nor some spoiled brats who didn't get the exact amount of face time with some plush character in an amusement park. Bah, last time I stood in line for a princess, I decided to just have a quick snapshot so the people behind me had some extra time for their daughter in cute princess dress. They were of different race than me too! Too many crybabies in this world, not enough courtesy and sense of reality and perspective.

bubbles1812

The thing that really kills any credibility they may have for me is the fact that they are suing. I'm sorry, but that in itself makes their claims incredibly suspect.

Complain about it, go to the media if you feel that's the best way to try to make the point, but when you sue for something this minor (and yes, I do believe racism is a horrible thing but it wasn't as if they were refused service or entry) then it screens "cash grab" to me.

Agreed. Just seems like they weren't satisfied with what Disney was offering and saw the big $$$$ possibilities. Their court costs will cost way more than what they are going to end up getting and for what, to essentially just get an overworked college kid fired. I'm sorry. Whether they have a legit claim or not, suing is such a dumb pointless thing. And it also makes their claim fairly suspect in my book.

The Empress Lilly

Before you go and say something ignorant like this again, you should know many people, mainly minorities are targeted, have experienced racism and have been pre-judged before. Treatment like this is unfair and if people want to speak up about it, let them. I'm black and I remember one day going to the mall with my two friends, one was black, the other white. My white friend stole something from every single store we went to. Shirts, pants, jewelry, you name it. In the last shop we went to, she had stolen a cell phone accessory. As we were walking out, with bags mind you, an employee stopped me and my black friend and asked us to open our bags and show her our receipts, while she let our other friend, the one who was actually stealing, walk out the door. I was in middle school, and I was scared to say something. Now, I wish I would have said something and I still regret it to this day. Crap like this happens everyday.
This is true. I have seen it happen and I know it exists. I must say that if I were a young Black male I would be very angry with the world.

wedway71

Anyone remember when Tigger slapped that kid at WDW a few years back???? Maybe he got transferred to Disneyland and was pulling Rabbit duty????

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If the WHITE rabbit was really being racist ...wouldn't he do it to EVERY non-white guest?

Why would he/she pick out this ONE child to ignore? There must have been a reason...and I don't think that skin color had anything to do with it.

Too often, people will not take responsibility for their own actions.

smw

Before you start calling other peoples posts "absurd" why dont you explain WHY you think it is that way?
With all due respect, this is just not a thread where we're going to have a healthy debate. Hardly anything is known about this claim yet everyone is ready to stone this family. It's 100% possible a racist employee snubbed some kid. Also possible try honestly misread it or made it all up. Bottom line is WE don't know.

And as far as the absurd comments, if I have to explain why a kid having bruises or being in a classroom with a bunch if Asians giving someone insight into actual racism is absurd or belittling to people who've experienced actual racism, my explanation will fall on deaf ears.

aw14

This is true. I have seen it happen and I know it exists. I must say that if I were a young Black male I would be very angry with the world.
While I do understand your perspective, I also am bothered by it. Racism goes on both ways. As a white male, I have been through several instances where I am discriminated against for the same reason you state for African Americans. It is a shame that anyone thinks this might be remotely one sided.

Regarding this case, we do not know enough to make assumptions either way. However, if this was racist, why was it only this 1 kid?

StarWarsGirl

While I do understand your perspective, I also am bothered by it. Racism goes on both ways. As a white male, I have been through several instances where I am discriminated against for the same reason you state for African Americans. It is a shame that anyone thinks this might be remotely one sided.
As a young white female, I can say the same thing. It does go both ways, which is sad. You would think those that have been mistreated in that manner would not mistreat anyone else in the same way.

wedway71

You also realize that Tigger was within his rights for defending himself against a spoiled brat that was trying to f... with Tigger's costume.

That part did not make national news.

Yes..I do. Actually I supported Tigger 100%.. :)... As far as the Rabbit case, I have to wonder about the claim being legitimate. Not to say there is not racism in the world, which there is-going both ways. My questions lie with the fact that I have been to Disneyland and all over Southern California-My Dad currently lives in LA. Being said, there is a large variety of people that frequent DL-including Asians, Hispanics, African Americans, and what I like to call (European Americans)White.

I am willing to bet this was NOT the first interaction between this character actor and one of the above listed ethnicity. Why was this one family a racial target???? Not to be blunt but with people being so quick to claim racism, I would think that there would be a plethora of complaints against this person already if he clearly is acting in a way that is racist, and if so, would Disney allow this person to keep their job???

As far as why would Disney be so quick to hush this up with $500???? I do not think this represents guilt but rather a PR move to stop BAD PRESS.... I mean do a Google search for this case, and there is like 15 news articles about it. No one knows what happened BUT it has spread to various national magazines further spreading this around. And of course the media will take every step to victimize this family against the Big Bad Corporate giant called Disneyland...

Nicole220

If the WHITE rabbit was really being racist ...wouldn't he do it to EVERY non-white guest?

Why would he/she pick out this ONE child to ignore? There must have been a reason...and I don't think that skin color had anything to do with it.

Too often, people will not take responsibility for their own actions.
This is my thought on the subject. Those characters see so much diversity every day, something must've happened with this particular guest. But since we don't have a video of the interaction, we're just left with pure speculation on what happened exactly.

The Empress Lilly

Racism does not mean the Rabbit's friend snubs all people of different colour all of the time. It would be more common that (s)he is slightly less tolerant of impatient kids, of slightly misbehaving kids, of one etnicity over another.

What one ought to do, is to time the amount of time a character spends with a great many kids of many backgrounds, and then see if a pattern emerges. For example, twentyfive seconds average with Asian kids, fortyfive seconds with Black kids. And even then, this may not be owing to any racism, but to differences in the guests -perhaps the Asian families are slightly more reserved, more likely to just snap a quick picture than engage in a lenghty conversation.

The Empress Lilly

As somebody who nearly married a South African, and who has seen Rhodesia descend into the Zim madhouse, you're preaching to the choir!

There are more evil forces in this world, more violent, more sinister, than the first world problem of the exact amount of seconds of picture time with a fur character in a theme park. (But by all means, don't let that deter anyone from letting some hourly paid worker lose his livelihood over their petty issues!)

The Empress Lilly

With all due respect, this is just not a thread where we're going to have a healthy debate. Hardly anything is known about this claim yet everyone is ready to stone this family. It's 100% possible a racist employee snubbed some kid. Also possible try honestly misread it or made it all up. Bottom line is WE don't know.
It is true that it can not be established whether any racist treatment was involved - but 'we' are not the ones making that bold claim nonetheless - the Blacks (family) are. They and their crafty lawyer are. Me, I think one should think twice before accussing somebody of racism when all you have is a twenty second interaction, in body language alone(!), with somebody in a giant fur suit who has fitty kids running around pulling and vying for his/her attention.

Aulani_Princess

To clarify, the bruising example was about the ability to project ones emotions onto a situation in order to understand it (both consciously and subconsciously) and how that could lead to an misinterpretation. Meaning, to the family it really was racism even if others don't see it that way.

aw14 - I know what you're saying about it going both ways. I love where I live. Hawaii is gorgeous. But when we first got the island we were introduced to a new word: haole. (Which can be used both negatively and neutrally). Here was even an article about it a couple months later, where they were talking about it leading to bullying in schools and the kids calling the last day of classes "kill a haole day". (Although the media still refers to it, I haven't heard of anything other than fights between natives and residents, but I haven't heard those involved say it. They just keep using this term from years ago) The definition of haole, according the another article I found explains it fairly well: "If you are white [who was born here], locals will still call you a “haole”, a derogatory term that is Hawaii's equivalent of using the "N-word"." It originally just meant "foreigner" but has taken on a racial tone at time and is always used to reference someone who is Caucasian. Is it as bad as other forms of racism? I can't answer that. If you respect the culture here, they are normally more than willing to accept you on some level and 99% of people here are amazing and sweet. But the fact there is a special word for it here was something to adjust to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom