Fairy Tale Engagement and Birthday Celebration!

Hello everybody! I hope you enjoy my trip report for my 30th Birthday celebration week September 19th – 25th, 2010. It was another successful Walt Disney World vacation filled with magic and a surprise engagement! It was everything I could have ever hoped for and I can’t wait for my Disney Fairy Tale Wedding!!!

Here are some of my previous trip reports:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=419842 – Contemporary, 2009

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=602397 – 2010 Pre Trip Report

I used many different iPhone apps on this trip. I will have an analysis at the end but here’s the list:

TripIt (Free)
WDW Maps ($2.99)
WDW Hours (Free)
WDW Waits (Free)
WDW Dining (Free)
What 2 Ride (Free)
WDW Lines (need to be a member at touring plans, app is free)
Undercover Tourist ($3.99)
GateGuru (Free)
iTripBook ($0.99)

I really liked iTripBook. I kept a journal the entire trip and it will make it SO much easier to write my TR. I mean it, I really wrote down every last detail!
Now let’s get started!

Day 1 – September 19th, 2010

I had gone to bed at 6:30PM the night before because we had an early flight. I ended up waking up at 1AM (2 hours early) because I was so excited that I couldn’t sleep! Gotta love “I Love Lucy” reruns in the middle of the night. The car came to pick us up around 5AM and we were at BWI by 5:30AM where we indulged in McDonald’s breakfast:

002.jpg

Then it was off to Orlando!

006.jpg

We arrived in Orlando around 8:50AM and got in line for the Magical Express to Animal Kingdom Lodge.

DSCN0024.jpg

Can you tell how excited I am?? I was a little bit disappointed (and confused) when we were lead to a Mears shuttle bus instead of a Disney Magical Express bus. The movie also did not have the characters say “Welcome Home” when we drove under the WDW sign. Oh well, nothing ruins my magic. I still got misty when I was finally on Disney soil. We got to Animal Kingdom Lodge promptly. I love how they greet you there. They say “Jambo” and “Welcome Home”. We took some pictures of the lobby and then went to online check in. Our folder was ready but our room was not.

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

Our first stop is always EPCOT. I know most people go to the Magic Kingdom but we really love EPCOT. Our first stop was at Gateway Gifts so I could get my Happy Birthday button since it was not included in our online check in folder. I never got tired of Cast Members saying Happy Birthday to me! It was truly magical.

After that, we went straight to the Land and had lunch at Sunshine Seasons. I’m not sure if they changed things around but it doesn’t seem like you can select your side dishes anymore at the Grill. I ordered the ½ chicken and Jason ordered the salmon.

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg

Then we got Fast Passes for Soarin’ and rode Living With The Land. We found a Hidden Mickey!

DSCN0045.jpg

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Wooohoooo... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your engagement story! I'm a huge fan of solitaire's and your ring is just gorgeous. I'm also having a DFTW... have you and Jason settled on a date or location yet?

And color me jealous that you got to meet Dr. Facilier!

Thank you! I love my ring so much. Simple and elegant, just what I wanted! We muddled around with other wedding venues in the Downtown Disney area but we settled on DFTW and we're planning an escape wedding. I haven't called yet, I'll probably do that this weekend. We are planning to come back down to WDW in June 2011 to plan everything and sign contracts so we're looking at November - December 2011. We're also kicking around the idea of buying a DVC resale at the Boardwalk. Prices are good right now and we are planning to go twice next year - once for the planning trip and again for the wedding/honeymoon. I think it just makes sense for us but I am unsure of the impact it will have on the wedding package since you have to stay a minimum 4 nights right? I think if we end up buying DVC at the Boardwalk, I want my wedding at Sea Breeze Point. And I really want Mickey & Minnie there to cut the cake with us!

Have you chosen a date and location yet? Maybe you could get Dr. Facilier to cut the cake with you :ROFLOL:

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Congrats!
I can envision the proposal now over the London nighttime scene......perfect!

Thank you! He told me he wanted to propose before it got to the part with Captain Hook and Mr. Smee. He didn't want it to go like this: "Fire Mr. Smee!...Will you marry me?" LOL

I still have 4 more days of my TR to post. The CMs were really sweet asking about the engagement. Belle even told Jason to tell the Beast where he bought the ring because she didn't have one! It was truly magical. Being engaged in WDW was better than I ever imagined it :)

WishIWasAtWDW

yay! :sohappy: how exciting!! i love disney engagement stories! and i LOVE peter pan! how awesome that he proposed on that ride?! LOVE IT! and your ring is gorgeous! amazing! can't wait to read the rest of your trip report.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
yay! :sohappy: how exciting!! i love disney engagement stories! and i LOVE peter pan! how awesome that he proposed on that ride?! LOVE IT! and your ring is gorgeous! amazing! can't wait to read the rest of your trip report.

Thanks for reading! I am a lucky girl indeed. It might be a few days till I get back to the last 4 days of my TR. I have a horrible sinus and ear infection which only got worse during my plane ride home plus we had to transfer in Atlanta :( Now Jason is sick too! Oh well, it was worth it :D

Great TR so far! He did a great job with the ring! Simple and elegant is my style as well-very classy! I also LOVE the towels made into birthday cakes, I've not seen that done before and it's adorable! Hope you feel better soon, I want to read the rest!

diddy_mouse

What a sweet engagement story! And welcome to the "Engaged At WDW Club" :D

The walk through the International Gateway is one of my favorite things. I love the Epcot resorts and hope to stay at the Beach Club one day.

Look forward to reading the rest of your report!

Soaringirl

Congratulations!!:sohappy:What a great idea - your favorite ride, I love it!
Very much enjoying your trip report. Can't wait for more..

Rach&Eric

We caught the drum show while we were there:

DSCN0260.jpg

OMG, I thought I read "DUM SHOW"....hehehehehehe...anyway, Congrats, you two make a beautiful couple!

Rach

Fyrecat

Congrats on your engagement!

It must have been wonderful! My husband and I are married 2 years now, and we hope to have a future anniversary at Disney! Your ring is lovely, and that was such a cool place to propose!:animwink:

Disneykidder

Congrats!! What a sweet but cool proposal. It is a great day, too. On your 30th....how nice. BTW, 9/21 is also my bday but I just turned 35...eeek.

Congrats and great TR.

HollyBelle

Thank you! I love my ring so much. Simple and elegant, just what I wanted! We muddled around with other wedding venues in the Downtown Disney area but we settled on DFTW and we're planning an escape wedding. I haven't called yet, I'll probably do that this weekend. We are planning to come back down to WDW in June 2011 to plan everything and sign contracts so we're looking at November - December 2011. We're also kicking around the idea of buying a DVC resale at the Boardwalk. Prices are good right now and we are planning to go twice next year - once for the planning trip and again for the wedding/honeymoon. I think it just makes sense for us but I am unsure of the impact it will have on the wedding package since you have to stay a minimum 4 nights right? I think if we end up buying DVC at the Boardwalk, I want my wedding at Sea Breeze Point. And I really want Mickey & Minnie there to cut the cake with us!

Have you chosen a date and location yet? Maybe you could get Dr. Facilier to cut the cake with you :ROFLOL:

Buying into DVC is a great idea!! We aren't going to do it before the wedding, but I have a feeling it's something we'll do not long after. As for the 4 night minimum... we are doing an escape package and our planner was somewhat lenient with that one. We're staying three nights, followed by a Disney cruise and then three more nights after the cruise. She didn't have a problem with us not doing 4 consecutive nights, and she didn't even ask us for our reservation number for the last three nights so it's definitely worth asking about.

We've already signed our Letter of Agreement for March 18, 2011 at Sunset Pointe! Woohoooo... it's a bit crazy that we're doing all the planning in 6 months time, but we've already been together 6 1/2 years so we didn't see a need to wait any longer. I'm totally with you on wanting characters to cut the cake with us.... so expensive, but so worth it! :lol:

I look forward to hearing how your plans come along.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Great TR so far! He did a great job with the ring! Simple and elegant is my style as well-very classy! I also LOVE the towels made into birthday cakes, I've not seen that done before and it's adorable! Hope you feel better soon, I want to read the rest!

Thank you very much! I doubt I was allowed to but I brought the towels-made-into-cakes home with me because they were so cute!

What a sweet engagement story! And welcome to the "Engaged At WDW Club" :D

The walk through the International Gateway is one of my favorite things. I love the Epcot resorts and hope to stay at the Beach Club one day.

Look forward to reading the rest of your report!

I'm so excited to be in the "Engaged At WDW Club"! Next up...the "Married by DFTW club" :sohappy:

Aww how wonderful! Congratulations!!! And very nice TR so far!

Congratulations!!:sohappy:What a great idea - your favorite ride, I love it!
Very much enjoying your trip report. Can't wait for more..

Thanks for reading! I'm feeling better today (finally) and I'm gearing up to write the rest!

OMG, I thought I read "DUM SHOW"....hehehehehehe...anyway, Congrats, you two make a beautiful couple!

LOL! We took some video of this and a few other shows including The British Invasion. I need to get organized so I can post them on YouTube :)

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful story!:sohappy:

It must have been wonderful! My husband and I are married 2 years now, and we hope to have a future anniversary at Disney! Your ring is lovely, and that was such a cool place to propose!:animwink:

Thank you so much! It was truly the most magical vacation I've ever had. I've only been dreaming of being proposed to in Disney World since I was a little girl...no pressure!

Congrats!! What a sweet but cool proposal. It is a great day, too. On your 30th....how nice. BTW, 9/21 is also my bday but I just turned 35...eeek.

Congrats and great TR.

Happy belated birthday to you! I highly suggest a bday trip to WDW at least once. I'm so glad that I did it. I felt like a princess the entire time :)

Buying into DVC is a great idea!! We aren't going to do it before the wedding, but I have a feeling it's something we'll do not long after. As for the 4 night minimum... we are doing an escape package and our planner was somewhat lenient with that one. We're staying three nights, followed by a Disney cruise and then three more nights after the cruise. She didn't have a problem with us not doing 4 consecutive nights, and she didn't even ask us for our reservation number for the last three nights so it's definitely worth asking about.

We've already signed our Letter of Agreement for March 18, 2011 at Sunset Pointe! Woohoooo... it's a bit crazy that we're doing all the planning in 6 months time, but we've already been together 6 1/2 years so we didn't see a need to wait any longer. I'm totally with you on wanting characters to cut the cake with us.... so expensive, but so worth it! :lol:

I look forward to hearing how your plans come along.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I hope to see a TR afterwards :) I've been slacking on the planning. I am going to try to call tomorrow to get the ball rolling and see what my options are! My family would definitely want to go when it's a bit cooler so it looks like we'll have to wait until next fall or winter. Otherwise, I would totally just plan everything for June during Star Wars Weekends. How perfect would it be for 2 computer nerds to have their honeymoon during a Star Wars Weekend?? I might have to see what I can do.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Day 4 – September 22th, 2010

The next morning I woke up at 9AM and sat out on the gorgeous balcony. I called the rest of my family to tell them about the engagement and they were so excited! It was a perfect start to the first full day of our engagement! We went over to the Mara again and had the same breakfast…again. I just LOVE their croissant sandwich.

Then we headed straight to Hollywood Studios. On our last trip we did not spend enough time there and I was too scared to ride the Tower of Terror. Then I noticed a picture where everyone was strapped in with a seatbelt. I’m not sure when it changed but what I hated about that ride was the lapbar! I hated how I always came up off the seat and I like it much better now that I feel more secure. We had to stop at the Antiques & Curios shop first though. We love that shop and hope to someday afford something in there! The crowds were so low that day at Hollywood Studios that we walked right on to the Tower of Terror in mid morning. I don’t even think the wait was 10 minutes. I actually wish it were longer so we could have taken pictures of the artifacts in the lobby like the glasses from the famous episode of The Twilight Zone, “Time Enough At Last.” I thoroughly enjoyed all of the changes to the ride and I’m not afraid to ride it anymore!

After that we got some Fast Passes for Rockin’ RollerCoaster and caught a show of Beauty and the Beast. This is a must see for me every single time and I have not missed even one trip. I love it so much! It makes me cry every single time. Rockin’ RollerCoaster was interesting. We were in line for about 15 minutes when the ride broke down and we were ushered out of the building. Apparently there were people on the ride as well and we saw a lot of hurried looking CMs. I seriously hope no one got stuck upside down! They were nice enough to give us super Fast Passes that did not expire until Sept. 30th.

Jason needed a snack **TURKEY LEG WARNING**

DSCN0305.jpg

Overall we had a pretty relaxing day at Hollywood Studios because the crowds were so low. We did the Great Movie Ride with no wait and we got to sit right up front.

DSCN0306.jpg

We checked on Toy Story Mania but of course the wait was an hour and the Fast Passes were gone for the day. We decided to go on a mission to get to Hollywood Studios first thing the next morning and get to ride Toy Story Mania! We were not going to miss it again. We didn’t ride it last year because the Fast Passes were always gone by noon.

Ah Star Tours. We missed it so much. We are planning our next trip in June 2011 for Star Wars Weekends so we can see the new version right when it opens. I can’t wait!

DSCN0307.jpg

I wish the umbrellas weren’t in the way

DSCN0308.jpg

Some Roger Rabbit love:

DSCN0309.jpg

Bobo Jason:

DSCN0311.jpg

I wanted to sing in the rain but I guess this will have to do…

DSCN0312.jpg

Fashionista007

Original Poster
We really liked the little museum the ride ended in:

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

Then we caught up with our pal Sully:

DSCN0334.jpg

I had to stop by the Writers’ Stop to try the infamous Carrot Cake Cookie. It was absolutely everything I had heard and more. The cake was so perfectly moist and delicious and the icing was like heaven!

DSCN0335.jpg

On our way back to the entrance to ride Rockin’ RollerCoaster 3 CMs at the American Idol Experience saw our Just Engaged buttons and waved us over to tell the story. It was so sweet how excited they all were for us and how genuinely interested they were in our story. It’s the little things like that make your vacation that much more magical!

We made our way to Rockin’ RollerCoaster and rode it without a hitch. I love that ride so much! Our picture was pretty funny because I was trying to keep my eyes open so it looked like they were bugging out of my head! Too bad they cost $20.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
We made our way to EPCOT for Illuminations. We like to stand somewhere in Italy. It seems the crowds are lighter and the view is spectacular. We had some time to kill so we did the Grand Fiesta Tour and Maelstrom. Then we stopped in Japan for some Yakitori House:

DSCN0336.jpg

We waited for Illuminations and chatted up the nice couple next to us who were celebrating their anniversary. We really saw a lot of childless couples of all ages on this trip, not many kids at all (except for the Magic Kingdom of course). There was a private party going on right next to where we were standing and they said they thought those were for Fairytale Weddings and that we should get one. I am certainly going to look into it!

DSCN0337.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

Afterwards we did what we normally do and let the park thin out while we shop. We got to bed pretty early that night so we were up for our quest the next day…Toy Story Mania!

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Day 5 – September 23rd, 2010

Today is the day. Toy Story Mania or bust! We got up at 7AM and got out the door. Our bus was PACKED! We got there just after the opening show. We could not catch a break on this trip! We really wanted to see the rope drop at every park and we didn’t even end up seeing one. We of course made a beeline for Toy Story Mania just like everyone else. The wait for the ride was only 30 minutes so I got in that line while Jason went and got us Fast Passes. I ended up chatting up the really nice couple in front of me from Louisiana. They were also just engaged and staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We really enjoyed the queue (and seeing it from both sides later on!):

DSCN0348.jpg

Heh…”They make it so you have to buy the guide! It’s extortion!” – Rex

DSCN0349.jpg

DSCN0350.jpg

We commented on how the cells in the viewmaster cards were perfect down to the last detail:

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0354.jpg

My score was 128,000 and Jason got 179,000. Not too bad for our first try I guess. Our Fast Passes were for 12:40 and by the time we got out of the ride they were already up to 7PM! That ride is crazy popular.

We were pretty hungry by then and I wanted to try the famous Butterfinger Cupcake so we went over to Starring Roles Café. They were out of the cupcake so the lady went in the back to get it. I don’t think this was the Butterfinger Cupcake but it was so crowded in there that I didn’t want to ask. Whatever it was, it was delicious!

DSCN0356.jpg

Jason got the cinnamon bun:

DSCN0357.jpg

Then we met up with our pal Lotso!

DSCN0358.jpg

And we caught a show of The Jedi Training Academy. It was hilarious!

DSCN0360.jpg

There was a little squirrel who was almost as entertaining as the show. At one point he touched our backpack!

DSCN0362.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom