Fade_to_Blah's Trip Report (Nov 9th - 16th)

So Im finally getting around to writing one of these for our trip…Nov 9th to the 16th. Im on business travel for a few days…and seeing as how im bored out of my mind at night and don’t have anything to do…its given me the motivitaion to start writing this trip report.

Quick notes on this trip:

The travelers were myself and my girlfriend. We had been same time last year…for only 4 short days. We have been looking forward to this approximately the second we left Orlando last year. We both had a great time, and are looking forward to the next one. We met my mother and aunt who had already been down there a few days earlier. They would only be there for 3 days of our trip.

We also got Free Dining with the Disney visa card! This was great for us and saved so much money. We would never have so much table service if we didn’t get the free dining. Honestly, it was almost too much food but we loved seeing the different restaurants.

I want to apologize a bit in advance, we didn’t take as many pictures as we did a year ago. Sorry, ill post what I can though. There’s still a lot and hopefully enough to get me through this.

Anyways….onto day 1 of the trip!

Day 1: November 9th (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Magic Kingdom)

Travel day….sorta. I have been looking forward to this vacation since I left Disney about this time last year. Now my mother and aunt, when they say “travel day” they really mean it. As in, they get to the hotel (this year was Animal Kingdom Lodge for them) and they stay put. Get some dinner and that’s it. No parks that day. Now, there is just no way I am going to make this purely a travel day like that. We had plans:) We were departing from Logan in Boston…and managed to get a cheap direct flight on JetBlue at I think 8:30 or so in the morning. Originally, we were going to be flying into TPA as the flight was far cheaper that way. However, that got cancelled…and suddenly we were on a terrible connecting flight. Like I said, I had plans that day for Disney and there’s no way I was going to waste all day sitting on a plane or in an airport. So I complained until they gave me a direct flight to MCO. Flight wasnt eventfull, spent most the time just listening to music or looking out the window. We landed, and we had that wonderful familiar first ride of the vacation in the tram thingys at MCO. We finally made it to the rental car pickup and left the airport. As a side note, this is the first year that we had a rental car and we loved having it. It gave us quite a bit of flexibility in going to parks and not having to wait for buses. Sometimes we still used the monorail, sometimes not. It was nice to have the choice though. FINALLY, we see this beautiful sight:

img1744hq7.jpg

Shortly after that we arrived at our hotel, POP Century:

img1745tc8.jpg

Quick review on POP for the trip: I thought it was fine. Now, I stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge last year in a Savannah view room…so I think anything short of that would be somewhat disappointing for me. But it still had a Disney touch to it, I was still at Disney World, the food court was good, and clean. So I was fine. It was probably geared a bit more to families with children….but as a value resort I cant complain. As usual, we only slept there more or less so it really doesn’t matter.

We got into our room, put our stuff down, changed out of our northeast attire for florida attire….and off to the Magic Kingdom! I have only been day dreaming about this for about a year:

img1747nj5.jpg

We recently made sure that our first ride is and would always be Splash Mountain. We had an ADR at Epcot that evening with my family, so we literally could only go to the Magic Kingdom to do Splash….and that’s more or less it. Few pics of Splash goodness:

img1749nw9.jpg

First line we had of our trip…probably one of the worst…crowds were light:

img1751su5.jpg

So with Splash done, we hopped the monorail and headed over to the new SSE for a quick ride before eating in Mexico. By the way, haven’t been on the monorail in oh about 10 years. It was incredible. I don’t have pictures from this night of SSE…but I think I have them for later days that I will post. In short, everything up to the descent was great. Im not the biggest fan of the music and the narration, but its ok. I think the previous incarnation was far more inspirational. So finally…we made it to the dreaded descent! I thought it was very funny, and like others have said…everyone seemed to be enjoying it and laughing. Maybe it will get old, but we liked it. Quite a few random triangles all over the place…I made sure to look for these from reading the board. Really weird, no idea what the imagineers are up to.

Had dinner at Mexico. I believe I had the Mahi Mahi…it was ok. My girlfriend had basically beef steak tips….which were much better and simpler. The atmosphere is great…but for a Mexican restaurant I thought the menu stunk. I guess I would have preferred more simple dishes. Tried to grab a quick ride on the Gran Fiesta tour but it was broken down. We were turned away unfortunatelyL

Since this day 1 is getting a bit long, im going to try to sum things up for the night quickly. We went back to the Magic Kingdom for EMH…and hit all the major rides (we were going back multiple times during the week, so no pictures and all we did was ride):
Big Thunder (in good form…wait time of 20 mins…more like 5 mins..)
Splash (20 mins again…..more like 0. One of the water arcs in the laughing place was broken)
Pirates (10 min wait. Everything was working)
Haunted Mansion (Walk on, was in fine form……)
Space Mountain (Waited a bit however good to get the ride in. We knew this would be closing soon…so just happy to get as many rides as possible)
TTA (best ride in the park at night)
Buzz (I actually did good this time and beat my girlfriend. I think its because I made here drive)
COP (just cant get enough of this)

We finally made it back to the hotel for much needed sleep. It was really needed.

Day2 coming up if you guys are interested (hey these things take a while to type!)…..which includes ADR at Cinderella’s Royal Table which we took plenty of pics of.

yankspy

Great report so far. I agree about the TTA being the best ride at night. It is so relaxing and it has great views.

Fade_to_Blah

Original Poster
Day 2: November 10th (Magic Kingdom)

Today was planned as a complete Magic Kingdom day. Honestly, the night before with the extended magic hours we had already hit pretty much all the major attractions. So ofcourse we were going to do all those again, but we could take our time and see some of the not just E-Ticket rides. Forgot to mention that in Day 1....we rode the BarnStormer at night. Lines were so dead they just let everyone stay on and go on again. Was a fun little ride I must say!

So we woke up and on the way down to get some breakfast at the POP Caf, we took some pictures of the views from our room. We were in the 60's section with the bowling themes...which was good as my girlfriend is a somewhat serious bowler ( as serious as a bowler can be anyways hehe). Our view right out of the room:

img1761xq2.jpg

Looking back at our room, we were on the corner...2nd floor:

img1765ph7.jpg

So we were off to the Magic Kingdom. I think it was a semi-reasonable time...probably about 9:30 if I had to guess. On the way there, I thought it would be a good idea to take the ferry over. I think some people kinda skip this one and think the Monorail is better/faster. Really its the same amount of time...and its a nice ride and you get some great shots of the parks/resorts on the way in:

img1766ka4.jpg

Grand Floridian (wow, just gorgeous):

img1770fj0.jpg

Main street station with castle in the background:

img1775wh9.jpg

So we decided that the first thing we were going to do today is go into Adventureland and go ride Pirates (our first of the trip). And I suddenly just realized, writing this trip report, that we managed to miss the Jungle Cruise completely on this vacation. In fact, I forgot about it. God. I feel kinda sick. I dont like the attraction all that much...but to forget it completely? Uhhhhhhhghhhg. Pirates was in good form the entire trip, except for one ride were the Davy Jones scene was not working. But the other 4 times it was perfect. Heres is the pirate training that was going on outside it:

img1784pi0.jpg

Lines were pretty tame for most of the day. We went over to Splash Mountain to get another ride in...and then decided to head over to Tom Sawyers island. My girlfriend had never been...and its often overlooked. We had a good time exploring the island...but the caves can sorta be discomforting to say the least. You get all disoriented and whatnot sometimes. Still a lot of fun to explore. And the fort was great! The owl in Harpers mill:

img1788qp1.jpg

So we had a fun experience on the way back on the little ferry things. They were training someone and I think it was her first time parking the boat at the dock. It was kinda fun to watch, I bet its quite a bit more difficult than it looks. She did a good job...a bit ruff but for her first time it wasn't bad at all hehe.

After Tom Sawyers, we went over for a quick ride on Big Thunder. We had a fast pass from earlier, so we just went right on. Waits were tame anyways, maybe 30 minutes top during the busy time of the day. You know, I almost always notice something new in the town scene on Big Thunder. I had completely forgotten about the bobcat on top of the cactus tree. You zoom by it so fast...could just sit there for a while and take it all in. Also gets me thinking about how I wish they built the rest of Thunder Mesa...but whatever.

We started to make our way over to TomorrowLand again now with some stops along the way. We hit up the FrontierLand shootin arcade. Love this place, brings back a lot of childhood memories. Definitely could use a bit of a rehab however.

And ofcourse, we went on Haunted Mansion on the way by:

img1790pr1.jpg

So we went towards the castle and around the back towards tomorrowland. My girlfriend spotted this going on, dont ask me what it was...I went into Ray's for a burger:

img1794ic2.jpg

Now let me tell you what I got at Rays. Its kinda important. So I did the burger bar, which also came with a piece of chocolate pie and a gigantic soda. A huge orange soda. Anyways, we split this meal and took the orange soda with us to tomorrowland. So we were both sorta complaining to each other how we never get to see PUSH and how great it would be. When suddenly, there he is!!!!

img1796rf3.jpg

In the last picture, he went up to the measurement for Space Mountain to see if he was allowed to ride. He was not tall enough. He then proceeded to chase us halfway around tomorrowland saying “Gimme that soda, gimme that soda! Gimme that soda!”. It was hilarious.

So we rode Space Mountain, Buzz, COP, TTA, ignored Stitch and the Laugh Floor. Cause thats how we roll. Anyways, it was time for dinner at the castle.

Fade_to_Blah

Original Poster
Let me preface this by saying im not a big character guy. My girlfriend is. This dinner has a lot of characters. It was still enjoyable.....i mean we were eating in the castle. Thats pretty awesome:

img1822gg2.jpg

We were seated next to the window...over looking FantasyLand. Very cool:

img1824jf3.jpg

Just an FYI, so I think the guy that controls the sword walks around the back of the castle on the same level as the restaurant. Can anyone confirm this? He would mysteriously show up...then they would have people pulling the sword out of the stone.

Dinner was so so. I had a very overly medium piece of prime rib. My girlfriend had cheese tortellinis / pasta which was much better in my opinion.

So tonight we had tickets for MVMCP. I think it was worth experiencing atleast one time. Lets get the things I didnt like out of the way first:

• The snow on main street is ridiculous. Im from New England....so maybe the fake stuff just doesnt work on me but it was not snowing on main street. There was however a bubble bath on main street.
  • People were not out of the park quick enough that did not have a MVMCP ticket.

The good stuff:

• The parade was absolutely incredible. I really am not a big parade person, but this was truly enjoyable. Heres a few pictures from it (with the usual castle shot at night):
img1839dr2.jpg

img1851yu0.jpg

img1861ut6.jpg

img1894sc8.jpg

img1910ol7.jpg

• The hot chocolate and cookies were great. They ran out of apple slices VERY quickly.
  • The Twas The Night Before Christmas was shown in the galaxy theater. It was GREAT. Funny and very entertaining. I highly suggest checking it out. Plus its cool to see something going on at the theater.
  • Fireworks were unbelievable. Even better than normal.
After this, we pretty much went all the way around the park hitting all the attractions. Worst wait may have been Buzz. But as the night went on, more and more people left. We hit up the following:
Buzz (maybe a 5 minute wait, max)
Space Mountain (this one had a pretty big wait for the party actually, 20 mins)
TTA (its awesome.)

We did everything in fantasy land. These attractions are notorious for having long lines during the day. So we did Snow White, Winnie the Pooh (I spent the entire time looking for the deed to Mr. Toad), Peter Pan......Its a Small World....Philarmagic. Capped the night off with a ride on Haunted Mansion. Just cant get enough of it. Stay tuned for Day 3...Animal Kingdom...and listen to me complain about yet another character meal at Tusker house :)

Tinkerbella16

Thanks for the report!

My mother and I were there the same exact week as you! We were in MK on the 9th for EMH too...and every ride felt like a walk-on, it was great! Did you notice how gorgeous the weather was from Sun-Tues..and how hot it was the rest of the week? I go every year, the same week in november for the nice weather and light crowds and I couldn't believe how hot it was lol! look forward to reading the rest! :wave:

Fade_to_Blah

Original Poster
Thanks for the report!

My mother and I were there the same exact week as you! We were in MK on the 9th for EMH too...and every ride felt like a walk-on, it was great! Did you notice how gorgeous the weather was from Sun-Tues..and how hot it was the rest of the week? I go every year, the same week in november for the nice weather and light crowds and I couldn't believe how hot it was lol! look forward to reading the rest! :wave:

Yea the tail end of the week was terribly hot. I really dont like the heat all that much...so like you we go in November to avoid it. Kinda backfired on us....haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom