Extra Magic Hours question

alice

Going in 2 weeks, staying at Pop Century, trying to make a schedule now.

1. Most people say avoid the park on the EMH day, is this still the consensus? Makes sense...and we will not have the Hopper this time...

2. Is there a list of the EMH somewheres? If not, can I call the hotel in advance and get the schedule for that week so I can plan ahead on which park to avoid on certain days? I knwo I could just wait til I get there, but I'm getting antsy and I want to make a plan now!

Thanks!

Shere_Khan

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Since our family are early risers even on vacation, we have always had great success with the morning EMH - and I've read that others have too.

We never done the evening EMH, but I have read that they can tend to be more crowded, at least at first.

Upvote 0

1. Most people say avoid the park on the EMH day, is this still the consensus? Makes sense...and we will not have the Hopper this time...

2. Is there a list of the EMH somewheres? If not, can I call the hotel in advance and get the schedule for that week so I can plan ahead on which park to avoid on certain days? I knwo I could just wait til I get there, but I'm getting antsy and I want to make a plan now!

Thanks!

Maybe I am reading this wrong but why would you avoid the park on EMH days? If they are night EMH it tends to get less crowded. Most of the time for MK most people leave after wishes so the lines for rides are shorter. Maybe the people who say to avoid it are thinking something I am not but if it were me I would do the parks on the days they have the EMH and then do something else when there isn't if I were looking for something nonpark to do.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Maybe I am reading this wrong but why would you avoid the park on EMH days? If they are night EMH it tends to get less crowded. Most of the time for MK most people leave after wishes so the lines for rides are shorter. Maybe the people who say to avoid it are thinking something I am not but if it were me I would do the parks on the days they have the EMH and then do something else when there isn't if I were looking for something nonpark to do.

People avoid the EMH's in case they are TOO busy. I know...it defeats the purpose of the EMH but imagine with over 25,000 rooms on property that's a lot of people eligible for EMH.

If the average was 3 people to a room and hotels were sold out (I know this is a very hypothetical situation) that would mean there are 75,000 people who could go to the same park at the same time.

Not saying they all would, but you get the idea

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

We have in the past 4 yrs have been in the parks for the EMH at night and we enjoyed it, my DH is a night owl.

Once the park closes and the general public leaves ( I would say 45 min to and hour) you will see the parks empty out. Also for us in the AM you only get 1 extra hour to resort guest. In the evening you get 3 hrs.

I guess it depends on you and if you are a AM or PM person.

Upvote 0
People avoid the EMH's in case they are TOO busy. I know...it defeats the purpose of the EMH but imagine with over 25,000 rooms on property that's a lot of people eligible for EMH.

If the average was 3 people to a room and hotels were sold out (I know this is a very hypothetical situation) that would mean there are 75,000 people who could go to the same park at the same time.

Not saying they all would, but you get the idea

This is true but it could also be one of the best times to go. I have never had an EMH night when it was more crowded than the rest of the day. Most of the time it was less crowded but maybe I just got lucky. I think it also depends on how late the park is open. If it is one of the really late ones where it is open until like 2 or 3 in the morning and you don't mind staying up late I would really suggest going. The rides are pretty much a walk on at that point. We got to ride Thunder Mountain like 5 times in a row without even getting off. It all depends on how people like to vacation though. I like to stay up late and then sleep in the next day. If I go to a park too early then I am done for the day way too early and it is such a waste.

Upvote 0

alice

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their help. I think I will be pooped by the times the park close and would have difficulty getting everyone ready for the openings so I think we will avoid the EMHs when possible!

Upvote 0

Ceekling

I think if you're an early riser, then definitely take advantage of the EMH. BUT I would consider leaving that park by late morning/early afternoon and coming back later in the day as the parks with morning EMHs do tend to be more crowded. Evening EMHs, though, are great as the park does thin out after normal closing time.

Upvote 0

spaceghost

This is true but it could also be one of the best times to go. I have never had an EMH night when it was more crowded than the rest of the day. Most of the time it was less crowded but maybe I just got lucky. I think it also depends on how late the park is open. If it is one of the really late ones where it is open until like 2 or 3 in the morning and you don't mind staying up late I would really suggest going. The rides are pretty much a walk on at that point. We got to ride Thunder Mountain like 5 times in a row without even getting off. It all depends on how people like to vacation though. I like to stay up late and then sleep in the next day. If I go to a park too early then I am done for the day way too early and it is such a waste.

I don't know that its so much that the actual EMH time is super crowded, its the fact that during the non-EMH time, you have regular park attendees, plus a majority of on-site guests who have an incentive to be at that park that day. At busier times of the year, this does make a big difference. At slower times, its probably not a big deal. EMH morning hours can be great as you can get most of the major attractions done in a park in that time. Visiting a different park during the day and park hopping to the nighttime EMH park is also a decent plan.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

The disney website has the park hours and EMH info listed there. We use the morning EMH for DHS during our May trip and was able to get FP for Toy Story Mania. Its a great way to get some of the attractions done prior to the park's official opening.

During our May trip, we found that some of the rides that were suppose to be open at 8 didn't actually open til 8:30. There was a long line waiting to get on, but with FP available, we were able to ride a few times before crowds started to really build up.

We did notice at MK on our trip this past weekend that it was a little more crowded when it was the evening EMH. It was open from 12 to 3am. We didn't make it long past 11pm. We had friends also attending during the same time in May and they said the evening EMH was great and they were able to ride all that they wanted with out the crowds.

It depends on if you are a night owl or an early bird. It gets hard to burn both ends of the candle for long. I think you can get more done in the evening than you can in the morning. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Figment73

We have a taken advantage of the EMH with great success. We habe gone various times of the year and have not had many problems. I prefer to go to the morning EMH. PM tends to be a bit more crowded at any of the parks.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
We consistently take advantage of the morning EMH's, but rarely if ever do the evenings. Generally being at park opening, but also with the extra hour, you can have 2-3 hours of very nice park time, even on the busiest days. In mid summer, you also have the advantage of the coolest time of the day.

With a large number of guests staying out in the parks till 12, 1 or later...they sure aren't getting up first thing!

This works for us the past few years when we were down Easter week, it will surely work over the summer!

Upvote 0

durangojim

I agree. Before we had kids, my wife and I would go to the evening EMHs during the summer. After midnight the parks really clear out and you could probably get on every ride in two hours.

Upvote 0

heliumalias

Personally, I find it more constructive to get up early (not necessarily for morning EMH) and be at the parks for opening than to use evening EMH. I find that I get a LOT more done in a fraction of the time.

Upvote 0

ExRoadie

Back in the day(really dating myself now) there was only the "Early Entry" program and it was a great way to get a jump on the day.

But, as the number of rooms on property expanded it became a "mini-nightmare" navigating the crowds for EE.

I started avoiding the EE park and visit the park that had EE the day before. Besides getting that extra hour of sleep or relaxation in the morning, the prior day EE park was virtually deserted for a couple of hours after opening.

The change to EMH with the addition of the late closing has made little difference in the crowds for early opening so I still get that extra hour in the morning.

Upvote 0

noname70

I tested this during my last trip. I tried morning EMH at MK. It was great until about 11. As the day wore on, I've never experiencd MK so crowded. In the future I'll go in the morning and then hop. The evening hours semed hit or miss for crowds.

Upvote 0

BuzzComplexCM

Thanks!

My fiancee and I had gone last week and what we did was this; We put the parks off until the evening. Evening EMH is great because it allows you stay around the resort, or do whatever you feel during the day. We went hotel-hopping, laid out by the pool, hit the bar, etc. During our stay, EPCOT, DHS, and MK were all open until midnight. Needless to say, we had no problem with not going to the park until 5 or 6pm.

Hope that helps a little!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom