Extra Magic Hour Gripes?

rainfully

You do know what EMH stands for, yes? EXTRA Magic Hours.

Extra - More than or beyond what is usual, normal, expected, or necessary.

When you go to the parks, the hours are posted. You KNOW what you're getting. After that, the parks close.

If you're staying on property, they give you a little something EXTRA for staying with them.

It's not really that hard to comprehend.

Some hotels give free breakfast. Disney hotels give an hour or three at the parks.

lawyergirl77

PirateJ said:
I am not complaining about discrimination in terms of starting litigation because of it. Just in terms of unequal treatment...and I mean unequal treatment of their guests...or are some guests more equal than others??

Wasn't even contemplating litigation in this context (because it would be laughable), but rather just highlighting as many other people have pointed out that discrimination refers to people making differences between people based on arbitrary characteristics such as race and gender... Not based on what hotel room they choose (or did not choose) for their vacation.

As people put it here - it's an incentive for getting people to stay in their hotels and spend more of their vacation dollars on Disney property. NOT a value judgment that they are imposing on one set of guests vs. another!

lawyergirl77 said:
NOT a value judgment that they are imposing on one set of guests vs. another!

I disagree. When i'm on Disney property, specially buying merchandise, the CM will ask "Would you like this shipped to your resort?" before asking "are you staying on property?" I think that many times it is assumed that you are staying on property and there is a certain stigma attached to those that are not.

Shaman

wannab@dis said:
And apparantly it works since they stay close to 90% occupancy. I doubt any hotels in the area come close to that.

Disney knows what it's doing.

EMH can be good for off-site people too...because that lets resort guest be more flexible with planning their hours at the parks/resort.

So lets say you get to a park earlier than the normal guest. And then you leave earlier for some time at the resort...which opens up queue time for others...

It may not be a big difference...but...

Shaman

AbsolutDiznee said:
I disagree. When i'm on Disney property, specially buying merchandise, the CM will ask "Would you like this shipped to your resort?" before asking "are you staying on property?" I think that many times it is assumed that you are staying on property and there is a certain stigma attached to those that are not.

I yield my time to hakunamatata....

rainfully

These feelings are much the same as the Fastpasses... Ever notice how when you don't have a FP for an attraction, you had the FP system but when you DO have a FP you love it?

It's all about know what the perks are and how to get them. If you chose not to do A that will get you B, don't complain when you don't get B.

lawyergirl77

AbsolutDiznee said:
Having stayed both off an on property, I just have to say - you're kidding right?? They don't make you wear a button or a sign and they don't point and laugh at you as a result, do they? That would be stigma! A simple question definitely is not!!

Oh well, that statement just shows that we are clearly approaching this issue from two radically different viewpoints. I'm just sad that you see an attempt at offence where there really is none...

Mgkcjohnson

Pirate, you can certainly have your opinions on this matter, but your logic and supporting arguments are completely off base... Disney is a business, it operates to make money. It is a priviledge where in if you can afford to go, then you go and enjoy it. If you do not like it, then you do not have to go. You have the same oppurtunity to stay at a Disney hotel as anyone else. Whatever reason you may have, price, your dog, whatever, you CHOOSE not to stay at a Disney hotel. Once you choose not to stay there, you have no right to complain about what a Disney resort offers to their customers. There is absolutely no unfair treatment of guests with extra magic hours. Just because you don't like the fact that on site guests get to enjoy more time in the park does not make your opinon valid. It has been mentioned time and time again on this board, people feel that they are entitled to EVERYTHING!!! That is not the case. People like Pirate feel that Disney is a government branch and if they offer something to one person then BY LAW they should offer it to everyone or else it is discrimination... Disney is a business, they make their own rules. I challenge you to find another place in the entire world that treats you as well as Disney does... regardless of whether you stay on site or not. The point someone else made about spending the same amount of money on a hotel room versus in a gift shop is irrelevant. Disney wants more people in their hotels. They make more money that way. They offer different benefits to entice people to stay at their hotels. One of those benefits is some extra time in a park each day. That is how the world works. If you do not agree with it, then you do not have to go to Disney!! People complain simply because they have nothing else to do!! It drives me crazy!!!!

PirateJ

Original Poster
peter11435 said:
I don't think the Disney kennels have any weight limit.

have you seen the disney kennels? If you did you would know what I mean by inadequate...they simply cannot accomodate large animals because their facilities are severly lacking.

PirateJ

Original Poster
Mgkcjohnson said:
Pirate, you can certainly have your opinions on this matter, but your logic and supporting arguments are completely off base... Disney is a business, it operates to make money. It is a priviledge where in if you can afford to go, then you go and enjoy it. If you do not like it, then you do not have to go. You have the same oppurtunity to stay at a Disney hotel as anyone else. Whatever reason you may have, price, your dog, whatever, you CHOOSE not to stay at a Disney hotel. Once you choose not to stay there, you have no right to complain about what a Disney resort offers to their customers. There is absolutely no unfair treatment of guests with extra magic hours. Just because you don't like the fact that on site guests get to enjoy more time in the park does not make your opinon valid. It has been mentioned time and time again on this board, people feel that they are entitled to EVERYTHING!!! That is not the case. People like Pirate feel that Disney is a government branch and if they offer something to one person then BY LAW they should offer it to everyone or else it is discrimination... Disney is a business, they make their own rules. I challenge you to find another place in the entire world that treats you as well as Disney does... regardless of whether you stay on site or not. The point someone else made about spending the same amount of money on a hotel room versus in a gift shop is irrelevant. Disney wants more people in their hotels. They make more money that way. They offer different benefits to entice people to stay at their hotels. One of those benefits is some extra time in a park each day. That is how the world works. If you do not agree with it, then you do not have to go to Disney!! People complain simply because they have nothing else to do!! It drives me crazy!!!!

Thank you for invalidating my points I appreciate that....You are too kind. :hurl:

SpenceMan01

AbsolutDiznee said:

I've NEVER experienced a cast member or anyone else "looking down" at me because I wasn't staying on site. Yes they ask if you want it shipped to your hotel. I say "No, I'm not staying on site.". Their reply "Ok. Your total is $XX.XX".

If you feel that you were treated in a derogatory manner by a Disney Cast member, then you should have taken it up with Guest Relations. Don't whine about it on an internet forum.

I've never stayed on site. My Dad is too "frugal" (read: cheap) to do so, therefore I don't have access to EMH. Does this bother me? Not really. I know that we could take advantage of EMH if we stayed on site, but we didn't, so we can't. I find the regular park hours and plan my trip around that. Many times I plan to avoid EMH because it can make the park crowded all day (remember those MGM threads of recent times?).

Disney can run their parks however they want (within the law). It's not like they are saying "You, AbsoluteDiznee (or PirateJ), cannot use EMH because we don't like you." The fact of the matter is, you know how to get EMH, so if it really means all that much to you, do what needs to be done and stay at a Disney resort.

can someone enlighten me on e-ride nights and why they ended it in favor of EMH? i'm not too familiar with it, but i thought you had to pay for it?? (correct me if i'm wrong) At least that gave off-siters the OPPORTUNITY to stay in the parks longer.

lawyergirl77

AbsolutDiznee said:
can someone enlighten me on e-ride nights and why they ended it in favor of EMH? i'm not too familiar with it, but i thought you had to pay for it?? (correct me if i'm wrong) At least that gave off-siters the OPPORTUNITY to stay in the parks longer.
Yes, you had to pay for it.

And you should have heard the entitlement-based griping that took place with that one! :lol:

lawyergirl77 said:
Yes, you had to pay for it.

And you should have heard the entitlement-based griping that took place with that one! :lol:

Did resort guests have to pay for it also? See, I like e-ride nights better because at least everyone (on and off-site) had the opportunity to stay later. With EMH, off-siters cannot stay.

Shaman

AbsolutDiznee said:
Did resort guests have to pay for it also? See, I like e-ride nights better because at least everyone (on and off-site) had the opportunity to stay later. With EMH, off-siters cannot stay.

I believe that e-ride was not too popular. And in the end wasn't profitable for Disney.

I could be wrong. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom