Extra Magic Hour Gripes?

PirateJ said:
this is the compromise i'm talking about...did you people miss the memo? I am not saying that emh should be for everyone...just the opportunity should be available for everyone.

The opertunity IS available for everyone! Stay at an On-Site resort, which is available to EVERYONE who books a stay there. :hammer:

SpenceMan01

peter11435 said:
Many people in this thread have said they stay off-site. You just ignored them because most did not agree with you. I myself said that I rarely stay on site. As a local I only book a night at a resort once every 7-10 trips. The rest I have no access to any resort benefits and have no problem with that. I am going to once again point out the fact that EMH is not a benefit provided by the parks, it is provided by the resorts for their guests. Additionally any resorts/hotels could offer this benefit for their guests if they wished.
Well said! He/she must have ignored my post a few pages back then!

tigger_rox00

It's a perk for people who stay on-site. It isn't discrimination. Why do all the people on first class get better perks when flying? Because they pay extra. It's kind of like that at Disney. They own the hotels and the parks and they feel that the people who stay on THEIR PROPERTY should be able to have a few extra hours where they can enjoy the parks without the extra crowd of people. If you want to stay off property, then be my guest, but the benefits of staying on property far outweight the benefits of staying off property. You can find a room for almost any budget these days...take advantage. So to clarify where you stand, then the opportunity is available to you by staying on property.

TTFN

Tigger1988

TeeCeeFitz said:
The opertunity IS available for everyone! Stay at an On-Site resort, which is available to EVERYONE who books a stay there. :hammer:

Haha exactly! EMH arent even all that great anyway, personally the only one worth really doing is Animal Kingdom cause its empty

Dukeblue1016

this really could not be a more simpler concept... I mean honestly... I almost stayed off-site (before they did the stay play and dine deal... it was MUCH cheaper to stay off-site)

Ok, simple business... this is your argument here used in a different setting and you will see just how silly it is:

lets say you walk into an... Olympia Sports, if you are wearing an Olympia Sports t-shirt when you walk in they give you 20% off your purchase for that day. Now, you're wondering why if you walk into an Olympia Sports wearing a Sports Authority t-shirt you cannot get an extra 20% off your purchase that day. You are wondering why you are paying Sports Authority and giving THEM business... and Olympia will not reward you for doing this...

Disney builds a resort, competitors build resorts too. You stay at a competitors resort, disney does not get your money... disney is not going to reward you for giving a competitor your business...

Disney builds a resort, competitors builds resorts too... this time you give disney your money for them to put a roof over your head... Disney is HAPPY they have your money and not their competitor... HEY... lets reward them!

So WHY... WHY I MUST ASK YOU... would a retailer like say... CVS... why would they offer a reward program... where you get back 10% of your purchases... why would they allow EVERYTIME YOU SPENT A DIME AT A WALLGREENS... to include this in your Rewards at CVS...

its such a simple concept

CSOM

I'm a little late on this one but Lawyer girl, you're both right and wrong.

Your definition of discrimination is in the Illegal American definition of the word, but in all reality, it does define this situation as well.

Discriminate - To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available.

Everyone discriminates every day. WDW is discriminating against people who can't spend $55 for a 1 day ticket, or $3 for a Coke. I discriminate against places that charge more than I'm willing to spend, etc.

So yes, WDW is discriminating against off-siters, and they are well within their bounds to do that as it is a reward based program.

peter11435

CSOM said:

Your definition of discrimination is in the Illegal American definition of the word, but in all reality, it does define this situation as well.

Discriminate - To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available.

Everyone discriminates every day. WDW is discriminating against people who can't spend $55 for a 1 day ticket, or $3 for a Coke. I discriminate against places that charge more than I'm willing to spend, etc.

So yes, WDW is discriminating against off-siters, and they are well within their bounds to do that as it is a reward based program.
Not really. No matter how you try and spin it. It's not discrimination to charge a price that some can't afford.

Erika

CSOM said:

No matter what definition you use, I don't buy the argument that Disney is discriminating against off-site guests any more than I buy the argument that Bloomingdale's discriminates against Wal-Mart shoppers. When you spend more, you get a) more stuff and b) better quality stuff. As stated earlier, Disney makes more money off of on-site guests and if they want to reward them with a little something for all that money, it is not only their right, but it is the right thing to do. Happy customers make for good business.

I could say (erroneously, no doubt) that I have discriminating taste, but it doesn't mean I discriminate against people. It's just not the same thing.

NeedABreak

PirateJ said:
Not true. If the park was closing for everyone...I wouldn't have felt that way because everyone else would be leaving too.

So if anybody has a better time than you its a bad thing? Does your hotel offer free breakfast in the morning? According to your logic nobody should get free breakfast from there hotel since some hotels do not offer it.

EMH's are part of the incentive for staying on site.

People staying on site get to use disney transport which takes them anywhere they need to go as long as it is on the WDW grounds. That means that a lot of people staying on-site buy everything from Disney. EMH's are just one more way to make sure people spend every dime for there vacation with Disney.

wonka

*looks around for any part of this dead horse that still remains to be beaten*

I've read reports of people saying that they wish E-ticket nights were still around because "There were no lines", "I got to ride <insert ride here> 12 times in a row without getting off", "I had the MK to myself".

From a business standpoint this shows that not many people were taking advantage of this offer. While it may be great for the consumer, it is very bad for the business. If it wasn't, it would still be around.

Now regarding EMH, I've heard "The parks were busier during EMH than during the day", "There were 55+ minute waits on all of the mountains", "It didn't feel special with all of the crowds".

This is bad for the consumer, but much much better for the business. Why? Because in both cases, the people in the parks at those times were paying for the ability to be there later. Many more people are taking advantage of EMH because they believe it's a free "perk" for staying at the hotels. It's not. You can bet that Disney has either worked this into the price of the hotel room, or has statistically proven that people staying at the hotels spend, on average, X dollars more than someone who doesn't.

Either way, they have to pay the CM's in the park, pay the extra electricity bills, pay security, pay the janitors, and still make a profit. This is far from a "free" perk for people who choose to stay on property.

Now saying that people who don't stay on property are being discriminated against because they don't have the option of going to EMH is just silly. The option is there, it's just worded as: Would you like to stay on Disney property?

What if Disney took the cost of a value resort room for a night and subtracted the cost of your off-site hotel room for a night and charged you that difference for EMH? Would you be happy that you had the option to get into EMH at all, or would you be angry that you could have just paid that amount ahead of time to stay on-site in the first place?

*shrug* In the end Disney will do what they need to do to make money. They are a corporation, not a charity. The simple fact that they can make money off of such a fun, family oriented, magical place still amazes me.

Think of it this way, if you're not going on what Disney considers the "off season", it's been said that EMH is just as crowded as when the parks are open to everyone. If you are going on the "off season" and still can't afford to stay at a value resort, your financial situation may be so bleak that you may want to think about whether a trip to Disney is going to do more harm than good... :(

Chape19714

hakunamatata said:
Have I mentioned lately that......

That's the best thing said yet!

I have to say though....Many of these post are being ignored by others because it doesn't agree with thier point of view. YOU FLAMED THE FIRE, now just don't ignore it.

The opertunity IS available for everyone! Stay at an On-Site resort, which is available to EVERYONE who books a stay there.

EXACTLY!!!

It's business, welcome to the REAL World, what actually makes Disney's Fantasy World Run.

dixiegirl

Erika said:
No matter what definition you use, I don't buy the argument that Disney is discriminating against off-site guests any more than I buy the argument that Bloomingdale's discriminates against Wal-Mart shoppers. When you spend more, you get a) more stuff and b) better quality stuff. As stated earlier, Disney makes more money off of on-site guests and if they want to reward them with a little something for all that money, it is not only their right, but it is the right thing to do. Happy customers make for good business.

I could say (erroneously, no doubt) that I have discriminating taste, but it doesn't mean I discriminate against people. It's just not the same thing.

AGREE!!!! 100% ...

MouseMadness

Erika said:

Reminds me of the Simpson's episode where they go Christmas shopping, and teh banner hung under the shopping plaza sign says "Our prices discriminate because we can't" :lol: :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom