Extra Magic Hour Gripes?

wannab@dis

tazhughes said:
PLEASE STOP MISUING THE TERM DISCRIMINATION!

Discrimination is when you are not given an opportunity that everyone else would have but for some trait/condition that is beyond your control. (ie. skin color, ______, sexual orientation, age, etc....) To say that because you make a choice to allocate your funds in a certain pattern and therefore do not get access to everything you want you are being discriminated is inaccurate and a slap in the face to people that are or have been truly discriminated against.

If you were prevented ffrom staying onsite due to your skin color and or physical impairment then you may have an argument for discrimination, but since that is not the case (please don't suggest fiscal discrimination Disney addressed that with the value resorts) you argument is really I want it, I want it, I want it!!!! (Stomp feet here) Perhaps this is the first time in your life you are experiencing this, but you should be prepared for many more years of disappointment.

And yes that is harsh and yes I'm probably a jerk for enlightening you this way, so save everybody's time and skip the post that says those things.

Bravo!

Calling entitlement discrimination irritates me to no end. Hence the reason that I'm still posting in this thread and attempting to make a point. You made that point VERY well with your post. :wave:

Shaman

lawyergirl77 said:
Argh... why does this always happen on this board??? :hammer:

Ask the banned people who keep joining up. ;)

(for the most part though, it hasn't gotten ugly...there is some healthy debating going on about EMH)

:D

Shaman

hakunamatata said:
Because Disney owns the parks, and they can do what they want.

I thought you said Universal?

:lookaroun

(In the end it comes down to that...Disney does what Disney wants)

tazhughes said:
PLEASE STOP MISUING THE TERM DISCRIMINATION!

Discrimination is when you are not given an opportunity that everyone else would have but for some trait/condition that is beyond your control. (ie. skin color, ______, sexual orientation, age, etc....) To say that because you make a choice to allocate your funds in a certain pattern and therefore do not get access to everything you want you are being discriminated is inaccurate and a slap in the face to people that are or have been truly discriminated against.

If you were prevented ffrom staying onsite due to your skin color and or physical impairment then you may have an argument for discrimination, but since that is not the case (please don't suggest fiscal discrimination Disney addressed that with the value resorts) you argument is really I want it, I want it, I want it!!!! (Stomp feet here) Perhaps this is the first time in your life you are experiencing this, but you should be prepared for many more years of disappointment.

And yes that is harsh and yes I'm probably a jerk for enlightening you this way, so save everybody's time and skip the post that says those things.

are you a lawyer? just wondering where you got your info from?

Laura

Premium Member
I think you should take this argument about Disney being "unfair" with the extra magic hours to a company who is GENUINELY unfair - Universal Studios.

Universal Studios hotels are super expensive - so therefore you can only get the perks to use in the parks if you have a lot of money, versus Disney hotels that start at $70-$80 a night (which is a wonderful price considering the awesome theming and perks you get).

Disney continues to allow even their day guests to have an enjoyable day whether staying onsite or not. Universal Studios lets all their resort guests skip the lines, therefore making for a miserable park experience for day guests who have to wait in ridiculously long lines.

My overall opinion is even if you can only afford to spend $80 a night on a Disney resort, or even if you don't even stay at a Disney resort, you can still have a wonderful day. But with Universal, only wealthy people who can afford their high prices can have a wonderful time in the parks while everyone else is treated like second class (during peak season I mean).

PirateJ

Original Poster
PhilosophyMagic said:
I hope this helps. By the way, PirateJ, is there any particular reason you are upset by this? Why do you not stay on property?

Thank you for your kind response.

The reason I stay offsite is because
1. I really just can't afford to pay for it
2. I travel with my dog so I need pet friendly accomodations.

lawyergirl77

AbsolutDiznee said:
That's the definition of legal discrimination - the original meaning of the word before it got applied to a whole bunch of other circumstances in which one person was treated differently from another for reasons that have nothing to do with inherent personal characteristics...

peter11435

AbsolutDiznee said:
It doesn't matter where he got his info. The fact is he is right. It is discrimination to offer discounts to only men, or deny those of specific skin colors those discounts. However it is not discrimination to offer discounts to those that live in a specific area or buy a certain product. There is a significant difference that I hope you can see.

PirateJ

Original Poster
Laura22 said:
I think you should take this argument about Disney being "unfair" with the extra magic hours to a company who is GENUINELY unfair - Universal Studios.

Universal Studios hotels are super expensive - so therefore you can only get the perks to use in the parks if you have a lot of money, versus Disney hotels that start at $70-$80 a night (which is a wonderful price considering the awesome theming and perks you get).

Disney continues to allow even their day guests to have an enjoyable day whether staying onsite or not. Universal Studios lets all their resort guests skip the lines, therefore making for a miserable park experience for day guests who have to wait in ridiculously long lines.

My overall opinion is even if you can only afford to spend $80 a night on a Disney resort, or even if you don't even stay at a Disney resort, you can still have a wonderful day. But with Universal, only wealthy people who can afford their high prices can have a wonderful time in the parks while everyone else is treated like second class (during peak season I mean).

I agree Universal is unfair....but in their defense...they only have 3 hotels....disney has 20000 hotel rooms....many more people...so I guess universal doesn't have enough onsite guests to really make a difference in the wait times.

Tornado

I've stayed in a combination of on site and off site over the years. When I stay offsite, I don't attend EMH as it's not my entitlement to. When I stay on site, I am entitled to attend, so I do. EMH is a perk for ON SITE GUESTS, HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND.

PirateJ

Original Poster
lawyergirl77 said:
That's the definition of legal discrimination - the original meaning of the word before it got applied to a whole bunch of other circumstances in which one person was treated differently from another for reasons that have nothing to do with inherent personal characteristics...

I am not complaining about discrimination in terms of starting litigation because of it. Just in terms of unequal treatment...and I mean unequal treatment of their guests...or are some guests more equal than others??

peter11435

PirateJ said:
1. I really just can't afford to pay for it .

You can easily get a room at the Value resorts for under 70 a night. With the proper discounts you can get a room for only $49 a night. I find it hard to believe (although I may be wrong) that you can find a decent room near disney for under $49 a night.

PirateJ said:

That is a valid reason if you don't want to put your pet in a kennel

wannab@dis

PirateJ said:
Thank you for your kind response.

The reason I stay offsite is because
1. I really just can't afford to pay for it

You have made a choice to stay offsite. You can stay onsite if you want so the perks for onsite guests are available if you fulfill that one pre-requisite. This is about choice. Because you choose to stay offsite, you also choose to give up the perks that are offered to onsite guests.

wannab@dis

PirateJ said:
I am not complaining about discrimination in terms of starting litigation because of it. Just in terms of unequal treatment...and I mean unequal treatment of their guests...or are some guests more equal than others??

This is not about unequal treatment. You made the choice to not stay onsite. It was not made for you.

peter11435

PirateJ said:
One guest being rewarded is not unequal treatment. You may not like it, but it is not discrimination or unequel treatment.

How about a sporting events that gives gifts to the first 10,000 or so fans. Would that be unequeal treatment if you were unable to get there early enough for some reason.

PirateJ

Original Poster
peter11435 said:
You can easily get a room at the Value resorts for under 70 a night. With the proper discounts you can get a room for only $49 a night. I find it hard to believe (although I may be wrong) that you can find a decent room near disney for under $49 a night.

Point taken....I don't know of anyways to get discounts with Diz....I would appreciate any advice for my next trip. I have never seen any value resorts under 87/night. and that is in the value season.

Plus my dog is 85 pounds....and the disney kennels are inadequate for him.

Shaman

PirateJ said:
I am not complaining about discrimination in terms of starting litigation because of it. Just in terms of unequal treatment.

I still don't see your point on the unequal treatment...

Resort Guests:

PAY FOR ROOM (per night)
PAY FOR TICKETS
PAY FOR EXTRAS (such as food, gifts, etc)

Off-site Guests:

PAY FOR TICKETS
PAY FOR EXTRAS (such as food, gifts, etc)

This is why Disney gets people stay at their resorts for the money. And if something as simple as giving them a perk is going to get people into the resorts...then it's good for Disney. See, Disney WANTS people to feel left out...so that the next time they come...they stay on site.

cherrynegra

As other have pointed out repeatedly, and for some reason still not understood, EMH is an incentive to get people to stay on property. Much like how hotels will throw in a continental breakfast or discounts on hotel rooms. This is merely Disney's way of both enticing you to stay on property, and rewarding you for staying on property.

peter11435

wannab@dis said:
This is not about unequal treatment. You made the choice to not stay onsite. It was not made for you.
Really right there is the answer. YOU made the choice to give up on reward. And no matter what or how valid your reason was, it was YOUR choice.

wannab@dis

objr said:
This is why Disney gets people stay at their resorts for the money. And if something as simple as giving them a perk is going to get people into the resorts...then it's good for Disney. See, Disney WANTS people to feel left out...so that the next time they come...they stay on site.

And apparantly it works since they stay close to 90% occupancy. I doubt any hotels in the area come close to that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom