News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

ChrisM

Anyone that's known him from his posting here should know he's not exactly one that shys away from the spotlight. If he wants to post, he will. And probably make a spectacle of it.

Which was 99% of the reason he ever posted: to stroke his ego. And he found the perfect captive audience to use to that end.

A motivation that was equal parts pathetically pedestrian and mindbogglingly weird, but the strange profile of the Disney obsessed makes for an absurdly easy target for the unreformed attention seeker. And if we're going to delve into the realm of ten cent psychoanalysis, there aren't many folks more hungry for attention and adulation than those poor denizens of a minor branch of a major family. So close and yet....so far. It can devour the soul.

Last edited:

Winter

The article is really long and confusing, can someone give a tldr?

Edit: Not a literal tldr, just a description of what this is about.

Buried20KLeague

The article is really long and confusing, can someone give a tldr?

Edit: Not a literal tldr, just a description of what this is about.

BigYikesFromMeDawg

I honestly couldn’t remember the name of this one, and you're not influencing me, I recognize the con. I see your posts and know who you are and filter your response in that light. I just feel it cheapens the site when multiple bots are running about. I assume your trying to make a point about how WDC has multiple people here and your only “leveling the playing field” but at least the company has different people posting for them. I’m tired of the echo chamber.
Well you think I'm a bot, then who am I working for? Seriously I want to know I'm having fun on my phone right now posting my own opinions on these drama threads, I'm really curious, who's side do you think I'm on?

Viget

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve and The Mom for keeping all non-personal details about this thread up here. This is a very big story, and really a microcosm of what else seems to be going on the world.

I'm not going to pretend to know I even know 1/10th of the backstory here, nor do I even have a clue as to what the players' motivations might be (well, except Zenia and Bob, clearly they hunger for power and $$$$), but it has been entertaining as well as enlightening.

I think we are entering a period of massive pulling back of the curtain all around us on many fronts, due to forces beyond most people's (even very rich and powerful people's) control. Much like Dorothy et al. were at the revealing of the Wizard of Oz to be a huckster from Kansas, be prepared to be disappointed and aghast, but I think it's necessary to move on. We are all imperfect creatures, and some of us have taken greed and selfishness too far. I hope this is rectified in the future.

There's a reason Baudrillard called it the "desert of the real". The truth is far less appealing the simulacra of the story we let others tell ourselves.

GSP Guy

Just want to say that I'm quite impressed that someone who joined the board yesterday has already mastered the multi quote. I think it took me a year to figure that out.

Unless of course they are either a professional message board contributor or have been here before under a different name.
I'm Still trying to figure out what the heck "dark mode" is

ThemeParkJunkee

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve and The Mom for keeping all non-personal details about this thread up here. This is a very big story, and really a microcosm of what else seems to be going on the world.

Thank you. I was caught up in the time consuming horror that is 60 days out from you check in date at WDW was hugely preoccupied until I found this discussion. Then I had to split my attention between work, tweaking plans and trying to understand the craziness of a company I care about, own stock in and followor various reasons.

I think I am caught up now...

mhaftman7

Soooo. The short of it is people in high places posted on the forums about Disney? I’m mad they didn’t give us better rumors! I mean if I was lurking public forums to gain information on thoughts of my consumers, I’d probably be a little more clever when signing up in the first place. I wonder how long the modern-day witch hunt will last. Accusations are being slung at everyone currently. Y’all are crazy. And entertaining. I accept it.

disneyflush

Soooo. The short of it is people in high places posted on the forums about Disney? I’m mad they didn’t give us better rumors! I mean if I was lurking public forums to gain information on thoughts of my consumers, I’d probably be a little more clever when signing up in the first place. I wonder how long the modern-day witch hunt will last. Accusations are being slung at everyone currently. Y’all are crazy. And entertaining. I accept it.

I think at some point it becomes 'what is a juicy rumor anymore?' or 'why should I care what they are planning anymore?' There was a thirst for it 10 years ago when the direction of the company could have gone in a few different directions based on the decisions made for the theme parks but, to me, it feels like we kinda know where each park is going for the foreseeable future (all the IP, all the dance parties, all the hard ticket events, all the festivals). DHS was devoid of content or direction 7 or 8 years ago and people were waiting with bated breath to find out what the fix was going to be. Epcot is in a similar state now but the recent announcements have shaped how they are moving forward there. MK has plenty of content but the crowds to match (and the Tron coaster). DAK has Pandora and this latest announcement is shaping the next ~4 years. I think people understand the direction now for the things we didn't know a decade ago where our 'forum input' might have been of assistance to decision makers. We don't need the rumors anymore. I mean, if someone wants to talk about plans for 10 years in the future thats cool but given the how steep the pricing increase trajectory is pointing over the last decade its not going to matter to my family.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
These weren't random things being leaked by spicy and rouge high ranking cast members, these were things in the final stages of planning that needed a free focus group.
You were the free focus group.
You ARE the free focus group.

Apparently Disney did not know how to properly evaluate the information they were accessing. They've made quite a few missteps. If we are/were a focus group - maybe they should have listened to us a bit more.

Which makes me question who is actually reviewing/acting on the information I/we provide on those random surveys. I shudder to think of all the new "innovations" Disney may make based on that information, considering how they've performed to date.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Apparently Disney did not know how to properly evaluate the information they were accessing. They've made quite a few missteps. If we are/were a focus group - maybe they should have listened to us a bit more.

Which makes me question who is actually reviewing/acting on the information I/we provide on those random surveys. I shudder to think of all the new "innovations" Disney may make based on that information, considering how they've performed to date.

Innovation = Money

So then the question becomes, from leadership standpoint, how to 'give' fans what they want, efficiently and effectively, while returning the greatest ROI to their shareholders. That's where the disconnect comes because their financial analysis right now shows them the ROI and then they try to drive further ROI by reducing costs to help meet quarterly goals that in turn provide bonuses.

I'm willing to bet if anyone from TWDC read a book called 'Measure What Matters', they would quickly learn that tying their quarterly goals to financials is great for short-term impact, but horrible for long-term impact as financial bonuses for these employees are a significant portion of their compensation package and they're not going to risk missing those bonuses for others to get a truly unique experience on the chance their ROI analysis is incorrect.

tirian

Original Poster

A few years ago, a survey asked if I recognized Figment and if I thought his pavilion was outdated. Nothing asked whether I would like to see updates. Disney’s surveys are typically worded to create a desired response — just like most corporate surveys.

Disone

A few years ago, a survey asked if I recognized Figment and if I thought his pavilion was outdated. Nothing asked whether I would like to see updates. Disney’s surveys are typically worded to create a desired response — just like most corporate surveys.
The fact that you got that survey means they must of thought your name Was Bob. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom