News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Ojo4

This is a huge post, I can't believe it got mostly ignored so far.

There has been a ton of accusations about shills on social media trying to sway the narrative around Star Wars and this is a direct statement that it is happening. This is also possible confirmation that Rise of Skywalker sucks and they know it's already going to be poorly received.

Social media is clearly being used as commodity and a tool. Advertising budgets are best spent on an intern who can write three hundred posts a day under twelve different accounts across a handful of websites. I don't think they even directly have to pay major influencers on YouTube or the like because the herd mentality everyone follows is so easy to direct. Look at how many people treat RT as their barometer over whether they will like (not just watch, but like) a movie before even seeing it. Look how many people get called shills for blindly defending any decisions Disney makes here or elsewhere. The conditioning tools of social media are being used very effectively here.

I don't care whether the article is correct or not about its accusations, the article is bringing to light the most prevalent psychological discussion of our time and more people should think about that.

I can promise you Zenia has no idea this website exists. I don't think you realize how utterly insane it is to claim the CCO of TWDC cares about the opinions held on this forum.

TJJohn12

There has been a ton of accusations about shills on social media trying to sway the narrative around Star Wars and this is a direct statement that it is happening. This is also possible confirmation that Rise of Skywalker sucks and they know it's already going to be poorly received.

Social media is clearly being used as commodity and a tool. Advertising budgets are best spent on an intern who can write three hundred posts a day under twelve different accounts across a handful of websites. I don't think they even directly have to pay major influencers on YouTube or the like because the herd mentality everyone follows is so easy to direct. Look at how many people treat RT as their barometer over whether they will like (not just watch, but like) a movie before even seeing it. Look how many people get called shills for blindly defending any decisions Disney makes here or elsewhere. The conditioning tools of social media are being used very effectively here.

I don't care whether the article is correct or not about its accusations, the article is bringing to light the most prevalent psychological discussion of our time and more people should think about that.

How did I KNOW this thread would start to devolve into a "the new Star Wars movies suck" thread just like half the ones in the forums these days? It's like Godwin's Law, but for WDWmagic...

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a discussion turning to whether Star Wars movies suck now approaches 1."

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Social media is clearly being used as commodity and a tool.

Touche! Its reminiscent of the 1950's Payola hubub, but with social media there isnt any prohibition, in fact its the business model.

RSoxNo1

I can promise you Zenia has no idea this website exists. I don't think you realize how utterly insane it is to claim the CCO of TWDC cares about the opinions held on this forum.
WDWMagic and MiceChat are definitely read by executives inside Disney's walls. I've written opinion pieces that have been passed up the food chain and I don't have 1% of the influence Al Lutz had on Disneyland.

GoneViral

John Carter was legit a good movie that was a victim of poor marketing though. A mix of Hollywood's weird insistence that the word "Mars" in your title is a curse and Andrew Stanton mistaking the vast influence of the Barsoom books on science and science fiction as mainstream popularity.

I completely agree. Disney never could gain traction on it because they couldn't figure out the right marketing angle, which happens quite a bit with studios. Most of the film critics I know who went in with an open mind rather than pre-judging it gave it good to great reviews.

I think the biggest culprit was that audiences rejected Taylor Kitsch as a star. Battlefield came out a few months later and did just as poorly. It's a shame because Friday Night Lights fans know that he's a talent.

pwnbeaver

This is one of the few sanctuaries on the web that allows all views. That is the only way coordinated campaigns don't become propaganda tools. Disney is not the guilty party in this latest controversy. And you can't blame the mouse in defending itself.

I'm Switizerland in all this. Totally neutral and not receiving compensation in any way.

I won't blame the mouse for defending itself. I will blame the mouse for trying to shift entire narratives in their favour simply because some people don't like the product they're producing. If the quality is fine, people will do that for themselves, like they have for a whole lot of Disney products. The issue here isn't the products themselves, it is the nature of how the product is presented and the outcomes of it. I have seen people engaged in truly hateful dialogues with each other over stuff like this, with both sides making terrible claims and assertions I would be appalled to hear in person. There is violence taking place over Disney products and they might be involved in it through social media campaigns.

The implication here is that Disney is doing what the Joker did in The Dark Knight. Break the pool cue, throw it to the ground, see who kills the other first. They just throw the cue closer to the person they want to win.

How did I KNOW this thread would start to devolve into a "the new Star Wars movies suck" thread just like half the ones in the forums these days? It's like Godwin's Law, but for WDWmagic...

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a discussion turning to whether Star Wars movies suck now approaches 1."

I will admit to guilt about bringing up Star Wars, but Star Wars was an example, not a point. I am equating the situation in Star Wars online discussions to the implications in the various articles and posts in the theme park community that popped up yesterday.

People's opinion on Star Wars doesn't matter. What matters is that Disney may be engaging in some sort of new-age marketing to make people think in a certain way. We have to decide whether we're okay with that. I think most people don't care, but they should know either way.

GoneViral

WDWMagic and MiceChat are definitely read by executives inside Disney's walls. I've written opinion pieces that have been passed up the food chain and I don't have 1% of the influence Al Lutz had on Disneyland.

Yup. There's this thought process that high-profile corporate executives are too busy to read the internet. In reality, a person with a vested interest in a product is even more sensitive to its reception online. I run a website that used to be a go-to source for revenue analysis in CNN Money, CNBC, and USA Today. I would get hate mail and threats of lawsuits from executives in that field on a weekly basis, sometimes daily.

Everyone reads the internet. And people are most inclined to read the websites that discuss their favorite subjects. When you work at Disney, you'll read Disney websites, at least occasionally. It's not rocket science.

Bender123

Me trying to follow this story...

GoneViral

You're relatively new, so you wouldn't remember that Mike would out people on this here board all the time, and that was a-ok.
So really, the argument isn't strange at all.

I'm new and not so new. I've been reading this place since 2014, but I care so little about internal website politics that I don't even know who "Mike" is.

So, hi, Mike! And hi, Matt! Long-time lurker, 18th-time caller.

None of that changes the fact that any website that revealed the identity of a poster against their will would suffer huge legal exposure. And it would be an appalling thing to do in 2019 now that everyone knows more about the importance of privacy. Even if it was something that someone here did in the past, we've all gotten a lot smarter about the internet in recent years. A poster demeaning a site for not outing a forum member is a special kind of ridiculous.

Bender123

So let me summarize this, as best as I understand it...

1974 is Al Lutz, and PD2000 who is actually Jeffery Epstein? They are all working together to reanimate Walt via the Internet and make him a being of pure energy that lives in Galaxys Edge with the blood of Martin, who is actually Ub Iwerks reincarnated through dark magic derived from a pizza place.

Did I get that right?

jt04

I won't blame the mouse for defending itself. I will blame the mouse for trying to shift entire narratives in their favour simply because some people don't like the product they're producing. If the quality is fine, people will do that for themselves, like they have for a whole lot of Disney products. The issue here isn't the products themselves, it is the nature of how the product is presented and the outcomes of it. I have seen people engaged in truly hateful dialogues with each other over stuff like this, with both sides making terrible claims and assertions I would be appalled to hear in person. There is violence taking place over Disney products and they might be involved in it through social media campaigns.

The implication here is that Disney is doing what the Joker did in The Dark Knight. Break the pool cue, throw it to the ground, see who kills the other first. They just throw the cue closer to the person they want to win.

I will admit to guilt about bringing up Star Wars, but Star Wars was an example, not a point. I am equating the situation in Star Wars online discussions to the implications in the various articles and posts in the theme park community that popped up yesterday.

People's opinion on Star Wars doesn't matter. What matters is that Disney may be engaging in some sort of new-age marketing to make people think in a certain way. We have to decide whether we're okay with that. I think most people don't care, but they should know either way.

I think you are basing your opinions on unproven and anonymous sources. If the allegations against Disney are false they have to push back. They owe their investors and customers that. Having a presence on social media is just prudent action against unfair attacks. The rest of this story is very dubious to say the least.

GoneViral

I mean, I'd like to think that if someone dragged my name through the mud and I knew I was innocent, I'd laugh it off and joke about yet another martini. But I'm human. I think some of the hurt would come through in what I wrote.

I totally get your point and respect the critical evaluation here. Something that I'll say as a total outsider is that a lot depends on how often a person has experienced this sort of attack before. People react to something much differently the first time than the 20th. Like anything else, behavior evolves over time. So, if that's the first time that they had their name dragged through the mud, the calmness and amusement would be unusual. If it's the 20th, they've merely developed a thick skin about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom