News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

JustInTime

Ehh this doesn’t bother me. And also the beginning of the article stating that Disney should ONLY make family films kinda made the article lose credibility for me. I agree that Disney Animation and Pixar should be family friendly only but I am fine with having different studios that makes films for every demographic.

jt04

Ehh this doesn’t bother me. And also the beginning of the article stating that Disney should ONLY make family films kinda made the article lose credibility for me. I agree that Disney Animation and Pixar should be family friendly only but I am fine with having different studios that makes films for every demographic.

i think they will under the 20th Century banner. But if Disney starts making Miramax type content again it will be a public relations mistake. PG13 is as far as they should go. IMO.

SteamboatJoe

i think they will under the 20th Century banner. But if Disney starts making Miramax type content again it will be a public relations mistake. PG13 is as far as they should go. IMO.
It makes sense for them to want to diversify and to put the more mature content under the FOX banner. They've been trying to find creative ways to make more than just kids films for over 30 years.

BubbaQuest

As a newer member i may be completely wrong in how I've read this, but basically spirit or his brother returned and made a bunch of claims that iger used al lutz to oust Eisner, and is now using him to oust chapek. And that al lutz doesnt even write the articles, a ghost writer from TWDC does it for him. Also ousted a member of this board (TP2000). Micechat has had some pretty wild replies to this whole issue as well I guess. Oh, and spirits identity is now out there.
Thanks! And does there appear to be any truth to the claims about Al Lutz?

One other point....The other writer of the Al Lutz hit piece is DustySage's bitter ex-husband. DustySage operates MiceChat.

I find it funny that the article "exposing" MiceChat as a paid shill actually pinpoints that Spirit is the paid shill and the community is like "whatever"....but what about Al Lutz?

jt04

It makes sense for them to want to diversify and to put the more mature content under the FOX banner. They've been trying to find creative ways to make more than just kids films for over 30 years.

R rated content will damage the brand. Just like Miramax did. People see Disney as a family entertainment company. IE all ages. Additionally overseas markets are not always open to edgier content.

ImperfectPixie

R rated content will damage the brand. Just like Miramax did. People see Disney as a family entertainment company. IE all ages. Additionally overseas markets are not always open to edgier content.
I realize Iger hasn't exactly been known for his follow-through (looking at you Galaxy's Edge!), but he did go on record as stating that Deadpool will remain Rated R under Disney.

If Disney isn't able to compete across all genres/ratings, they will lose relevancy. We've already seen that happen at least once.

jt04

I realize Iger hasn't exactly been known for his follow-through (looking at you Galaxy's Edge!), but he did go on record as stating that Deadpool will remain Rated R under Disney.

If Disney isn't able to compete across all genres/ratings, they will lose relevancy. We've already seen that happen at least once.

Ridiculous. Katzenberg claimed this and where is he now? Family entertainment is perpetual. How much money does Disney have to make to prove the point?

But, you are probably right because there will be tremendous pressure on Disney to go with adult content. They won't recover from that this century. Bookmark it.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I agree with this to a point. I'm not sure we can tell who the influencers and trolls are....How can we delineate honest opinions from those who are doing it for some external gain (like employment or promotion)? Sometimes, the opinion you are trying to create will be held by other fans, so you may not even have to piggyback on it. If your jobs are specific enough (like talk up Avland or sell people on RFID chips on sodas), then you can also make some unrelated posts. Maybe even have a "gloom and doomer" opinion if you're supposed to be a "pixie duster". Play the long game. I would bet if you were bad at it, you wouldn't last long...but if you're good, we'd have a lot of trouble discerning. I 100% agree that this board has the best insiders, but I don't think any of them fall into the category we're talking about.
I see where you're coming from.

I also think it's important to point out, that we (the collective we) shouldn't really make decisions based solely on message boards alone. Even if there is an overwhelming push of "disgust" or positive push in a particular thread I still make decisions based off numerous factors.

MattM

There's so many reasons why I just don't know what to make of any of this. Snyder's article being published on Medium -- meaning there was no editor or filter, and boy could he have used one-- doesn't help me take it seriously, but can't dismiss it outright based on that. The whole conspiracy angle is tough to believe.

It all seems to boil down to he said/he said. And in this case, both parties rely on anonymous sources, inject opinion into their writing, and arguably have an ax to grind. So I really hope some more reliable voices not personally attached to either side start digging into it.
What it likely means is that he shopped the story around and nobody would touch it because he can't really prove anything. It comes across as someone with an axe to grind with someone else. The story should probably be read through those glasses.

britain

One other point....The other writer of the Al Lutz hit piece is DustySage's bitter ex-husband. DustySage operates MiceChat.

I find it funny that the article "exposing" MiceChat as a paid shill actually pinpoints that Spirit is the paid shill and the community is like "whatever"....but what about Al Lutz?

Correct. Spirit/WDW1974 is Mike Snyder.

I think this is key and being overlooked in general. It explains the "so evil!" response from MiceChat.

But why throw TP2000 under the bus? If he's totally unrelated to the controversy, then I don't see any objective in smearing the guy.

And, I gotta admit, in contrast to MiceChat which seemed to only respond with anger or fear, TP2000 has repeatedly responded with jolly bemusement.

...which I find a little hard to believe.

I mean, I'd like to think that if someone dragged my name through the mud and I knew I was innocent, I'd laugh it off and joke about yet another martini. But I'm human. I think some of the hurt would come through in what I wrote.

@TP2000 - you're coming off as a little too good to be true. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but me thinks you should protest a bit.

Last edited:

pwnbeaver

Guys, Zenia is probably reading this thread right now looking for ways to diffuse this.

I’m glad critical examination of Disney’s manipulation of social media is being done. Some of the stuff they were planning to defend Galaxy’s Edge and Rise of Skywalker was brutal. It had to end. Or at least be contained.

This is a huge post, I can't believe it got mostly ignored so far.

There has been a ton of accusations about shills on social media trying to sway the narrative around Star Wars and this is a direct statement that it is happening. This is also possible confirmation that Rise of Skywalker sucks and they know it's already going to be poorly received.

Social media is clearly being used as commodity and a tool. Advertising budgets are best spent on an intern who can write three hundred posts a day under twelve different accounts across a handful of websites. I don't think they even directly have to pay major influencers on YouTube or the like because the herd mentality everyone follows is so easy to direct. Look at how many people treat RT as their barometer over whether they will like (not just watch, but like) a movie before even seeing it. Look how many people get called shills for blindly defending any decisions Disney makes here or elsewhere. The conditioning tools of social media are being used very effectively here.

I don't care whether the article is correct or not about its accusations, the article is bringing to light the most prevalent psychological discussion of our time and more people should think about that.

MattM

You want people to be upset that a website did NOT invade the privacy of users by revealing their identities against their will? Strange argument.
You're relatively new, so you wouldn't remember that Mike would out people on this here board all the time, and that was a-ok. But if you mentioned his real name, you could expect PM's from admins telling you never to do it again. Why? Because his fact-lite egotistical posts drove clicks here.

So really, the argument isn't strange at all.

jt04

This is a huge post, I can't believe it got mostly ignored so far.

There has been a ton of accusations about shills on social media trying to sway the narrative around Star Wars and this is a direct statement that it is happening. This is also possible confirmation that Rise of Skywalker sucks and they know it's already going to be poorly received.

Social media is clearly being used as commodity and a tool. Advertising budgets are best spent on an intern who can write three hundred posts a day under twelve different accounts across a handful of websites. I don't think they even directly have to pay major influencers on YouTube or the like because the herd mentality everyone follows is so easy to direct. Look at how many people treat RT as their barometer over whether they will like (not just watch, but like) a movie before even seeing it. Look how many people get called shills for blindly defending any decisions Disney makes here or elsewhere. The conditioning tools of social media are being used very effectively here.

I don't care whether the article is correct or not about its accusations, the article is bringing to light the most prevalent psychological discussion of our time and more people should think about that.

This is one of the few sanctuaries on the web that allows all views. That is the only way coordinated campaigns don't become propaganda tools. Disney is not the guilty party in this latest controversy. And you can't blame the mouse in defending itself.

I'm Switizerland in all this. Totally neutral and not receiving compensation in any way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom