News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Princess Leia

Just caught up with this thread, going to need to check the DL thread at some point today.

This does seem to be the general feeling around here this morning:

5715B9CD-6361-458E-8E86-1A2043E460D9.gif

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Four thoughts. 1) I actually think social media manipulation may work best in board room chess. If you can get the fans to blame a specific executive then its easy to justify moving/firing/disemboweling said co-worker. Further, if you can get fans to give you credit for good things, it is easier to move up. 2) However, the use of social media to change influence fan opinion on some produced piece of entertainment won't work. Actual pop culture is a HUGE monolith. It really amazes me how little Disney understands about their own products at this point. I do wonder/worry what happens if the current financial bubble bursts at the same time as the Disney bubble if you will. The technical word that comes to mind is bad. 3) It wouldn't surprise me at all if fans of something as big as TWDC or any Disney resort for that matter had their voices co-opted pretty quickly once they gained a sizable following through some medium. I'm not saying that always happens, but I'm sure it does happen. 4) The timing of this (which I can assume is only one piece in a complex power play that we mere mortals will only see a few bits of) could indicate that some internal poop is about to hit the proverbial fan. If that is the case, we can only hope that the feces fly in some useful and pleasant directions.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Eh, not sure why anyone would be surprised by this.

For me, its business as usual. We have some incredible insiders here who time after time have not only been correct but class acts to boot. I think if you been on these boards for more than a year, you know who you can trust and you can tell trolls from influencers etc.

tirian

Original Poster
But to achieve whose agenda?

That’s the main question, and remember that we have no proof whether this is even true.

“Then why’d you post it here?”

Because this is the News & Rumors section, and the article is one of the biggest rumors to break out in a long time. It also conveniently drops right as DL fans are trashing SWGE.

It reminds me of how Hollywood wants to blame Internet fans or marketing for their problems. The new Ghostbusters and SW movies weren’t well received? Blame toxic fan culture and a few loud-mouthed neckbeards instead of acknowledging the movies have story problems. John Carter and Dark Phoenix flopped? Blame the marketing departments instead of admitting the stories and acting were subpar.

But I don’t understand whom this article is supposed to expose, since it seems to attack and defend everyone except maybe Eisner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom