Expedition Everest - Yeti Spotted! Videos Are Available!

ssidiouss@mac.c

SirGoofy said:
*SPOILERS*If you want to know nothing do not read my post *SPOILERS*

Well I watched them. A couple observations. It looks much more thrilling than I expected. Much more speed involved. I was expecting a little faster than BTM, this seems to go really fast. The bird is the lamest thing I've ever seen. No wing movement? Come on. The projection is awesome. The yeti moves a lot like an ape, which is what I expected it to move like. I couldn't really get a good look at the AA so I can't really say wether I'm impressed or disappointed. Overall I think it look as good as it was meant to be. Definately one of the best themed rides I've seen. The mountain looks incredible. I didn't really get a good look of the inside of the fortress/temple thing, but I'm sure it looks great.

What bird?

SirGoofy

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
What bird?

When the steam donkey stops at the mangled tracks, you hear a bird screech and then the yeti roar. When your train starts to descend the track, you can see a bird rise right next to the broken track.

sum41914

I swear I didn't mean to watch it honest.

I slightly watched it :rolleyes: It wasn't my fault tho, my iTunes automatically downloaded it as a PodCast to Inside the Magic and it started plying all by itself, can I please be forgiven, there should a reborn again program that allows to forget what you have just witnessed. Or better yet how about we call up the Men In Black and they can use that little flasher pen thingy to erase our memories lol.

~Sum

Montu

missionspace said:
I guess I was expecting more! Just think what it could have been! First there should have been some real animals in the woods before the lift. I was expecting so much more, I would even go to say the BTM has more effects and props. I was thinking there would be snow. Even the music ain't all that great. I thought there woould be more to the woods, but it is just some plants, not a woods felling at all! I know they will grow but they need more. I was just expecting more effects in general, to compete with other parks and rides. Disney had the right idea for this ride but fell short! I would expect animals at AK you think. I hope the shop is better, and the mercahndise.:(

My thoughts!

While I completely agree with you - Everest definitely looks quite disappointing - I just gotta ask....

What the heck are you talking about??? Even the music isnt great? There IS NO music! And that's a big part of the problem. There's WAY too much dead time on this coaster (dark tunnel, outside helix, big drop) that could be enhanced 10 fold with a big, exciting adventure score - but they completely missed out.

And then there's the cheeseball projection effect. VERY cool idea - sounds amazing - looks projected. Sigh.

And do I even have to mention the plastic bird on a stick?

Montu

missionspace said:
I guess I was expecting more! Just think what it could have been! First there should have been some real animals in the woods before the lift. I was expecting so much more, I would even go to say the BTM has more effects and props. I was thinking there would be snow. Even the music ain't all that great. I thought there woould be more to the woods, but it is just some plants, not a woods felling at all! I know they will grow but they need more. I was just expecting more effects in general, to compete with other parks and rides. Disney had the right idea for this ride but fell short! I would expect animals at AK you think. I hope the shop is better, and the mercahndise.:(

My thoughts!

While I completely agree with you - Everest definitely looks quite disappointing - I just gotta ask....

What the heck are you talking about??? Even the music isnt great? There IS NO music! And that's a big part of the problem. There's WAY too much dead time on this coaster (dark tunnel, outside helix, big drop) that could be enhanced 10 fold with a big, exciting adventure score - but they completely missed out.

And then there's the cheeseball projection effect. VERY cool idea - sounds amazing - looks projected. Sigh.

And do I even have to mention the plastic bird on a stick?

The only thing that you are completely missing the point of is that the Yeti IS the "animal" of this ride - just as the Dinosaours are the "animals" of CTX. The whole story centers on Yeti sightings.

Let's look at things on a positive note: It's safe to say that this attraction is easily better than Mission: SPACE. :hammer:

PBarton

SirGoofy said:
When the steam donkey stops at the mangled tracks, you hear a bird screech and then the yeti roar. When your train starts to descend the track, you can see a bird rise right next to the broken track.
It is far more noticable on the 2nd clip - the bird is already "hovering" as the Steam Donkey is screeching to a halt. It then drops behind the rock and re-appears as the Steam Donkey head off backwards.

By the way, the rockwork looks amazing! Esp. Around the snowy peaks!

EpcotServo

This is why i'm so angry that a video got leaked out so soon. a) the ride isn't 100% done. and b) watching a video isn't riding.
Please don't judge a ride until you've been on it, or at least until the ride is 100% open.

SirGoofy

Montu said:

Well I have to disagree with you here. I don't think this ride needs music. It would be lost over the sound of the ride and everybody screaming.

And while I can tell that the projection is a projection, I think it is a neat effect, and adds a lot to the overall ride.

ssidiouss@mac.c

Lol.. how is that bird flying.. its not flapping its wings.. its like hovering.. :confused: I do like the idea of it up there though..

Maybe it should just peek out and not try to hover.. like peek its head up or something.

Or maybe its supposed to look like its flying to the mountain.. not actually hovering?

Montu

SirGoofy said:
Well I have to disagree with you here. I don't think this ride needs music. It would be lost over the sound of the ride and everybody screaming.

And while I can tell that the projection is a projection, I think it is a neat effect, and adds a lot to the overall ride.

Yet the sound is not lost over people screaming on roller coasters that do a LOT more than this one - for example Space Mountain at disneyland paris, which steaper drops, pitch black darkness and inversions (as well as a whole heck of a lot of pain). So how do you justify your point?

The only reason that projection adds a lot to the overall ride is that it is ONE OF TWO effects on the ride. That's not to say it's a good effect - but it's HALF of the effects that this massive new E-Ticket has. It's cheesey. Don't try to make it into anything that it's not.

Lee

Adventurer
SirGoofy said:

I'm half way with you here...
If I had to pick something to gripe about with the ride, it would be the lack of music. A thrilling score would have made a HUGE difference....in my opinion.

And I agree with the projection. Looks nice.:D

GGETay

<<I guess I was expecting more!>>

SO-

Working in the industry and even having just recently opened an attraction- I can sympathize with the "it's not finished, it's not fair to judge!" camp-

HOWEVER...

The ride looks awful. What a waste of that mountain- nothing happens! There's so much wrong, and so little right. The coaster looks interesting enough, but it's short.

As for the elements that make up the show- are there any? First there's that bird which is simply embarassing. Then we come to the projection effect which is poorly done (again- judging video- could be fantastic in person, but I would guess not), and then the Yeti- which is likely spectacular, but it's over before you even know it. At least on Journey one has a good 4-6 seconds with the Lava Monster. You probably pass by the Yeti for 1.5 - 2 seconds. That's a hell of a lot of money for very little payoff.

I can't believe there's no onboard audio/soundtrack. Here's to hoping it's just not functioning.

My fingers are crossed that there's a whole lot not functioning at this point- otherwise this will fall in the category of Mission: SPACE, Stitch's Great Escape, and virtually every other domestic Disney attraction of the last decade as being an inferior big-budget failure.

Montu

I figured out the bird!

Ok - so after looking at the video a few more times I finally figured out the bird's purpose. It's just lost in the really poor storytelling that is evident through the entire attraction, but let me try to explain:

You pull up the hill and stop at the old Sherpa Used Car Dealership- attracted by all their flashy colored flags and "rock bottom prices." Unfortunately, the Yeti got there first and shredded all of their nice new flags (probably in a fit of rage when he was told they would not accept his 1972 dodge pickup truck as a trade-in). The Bird is a used car salesman, swooping in to try and swindle you into a purchase - perhapse a nice "like-new" dog-sled with "only" 275,000 miles on it. Terrorfied of the used car salesbird as most people usually are, you back your steam donkey up and get the heck outta there to find a more reputable establishment to purchase your new dog sled.

Unfortunately all you find in your quest is a really poor projection effect.

PBarton

Maybe the Steam Donkey is supposed to come to a complete halt underneath the large Yeti AA when the ride opens to the public?? It would improve the ride if that happens.

The Yeti could terrorise riders, before heading out of the mountain - I can't believe that they have gone to all the trouble and expense to create an effect that is seen for the blink of an eye.

The Steam Donkey MUST stop during the main AA scene! Otherwise it would be like visiting the Louvre in Paris, taking a 2 second glance at the Mono Lisa and walking away.

EpcotServo

Lee said:
I'm half way with you here...
If I had to pick something to gripe about with the ride, it would be the lack of music. A thrilling score would have made a HUGE difference....in my opinion.

And I agree with the projection. Looks nice.:D
I can understand that. I for one, am glad they didn't for two reasons;
A) The trains would have looked cheesy with hundreds of onboard speakers strapped to the trains' headrests. (I like the plain, worn look of the trains, plus they would have had to mess with the steam effect to have room for the audio control box.)
and B) I like onride scores more at home, than I do on the ride. For example, I loved to listen to the new Space Mountain track from Disneyland here at home, but when I finally got to ride it, I couldn't hear the track over the screams and random coaster sounds. I found that I like it better when I can hear it. This would have happened to Everest. (like ROTM, I can never hear the score during the ride despite it's mind blowing number of speakers.) That's why I'm glad they didn't myself. :)

PBarton, why they have you go by quick is because it encourges you to ride again, and find details you missed the first time:) . And Montu, please stop making fun of something you haven't been on. After you ride it, judge all you want. I could care less! Just don't judge a book by it's cover. (or in this case, don't judge a book by it's made for TV movie version of the story.)

peter11435

GGETay said:
The ride looks awful. What a waste of that mountain- nothing happens! There's so much wrong, and so little right.

I would say that is way overreacting. Especially considering you have not even ridden the attraction yet. You are basing that opinion on a poor quality video of an attraction that is not even finished yet.

GGETay said:
I can't believe there's no onboard audio/soundtrack. Here's to hoping it's just not functioning.

It has been well known for a very long time that the ride would not have on board audio or any soundtrack other than the natural sounds of the environment. Really what sense would it make for there to be some dramatic score playing while your supposedly in a mountain. I don't know many real mountains that come complete with surround sound.

I find it interesting how all the people complaining about the attraction have not even ridden it yet. 98% of those who have actually been on the attraction think its great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom