Expedition Everest effects status watch

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yep, I hear ya. Obviously I was kidding too, but every time someone posts to this thread about a fix, folks always describe it as the equivalent of waking up fast enough to see your self still sleeping. 🤣 The only thing I know about the ride systems is from that eons old History Channel documentary about WDW. When they spoke of EE, they showed and described three different systems that are intertwined... the coaster, the mountain, and the Yeti. That's all I know to be true (as I'm sure all realize), that the Yeti is a separate system on it's own. Why they haven't been able to remedy this situation in 13 years....
View attachment 524150
In short, the problem is who picks up the bill. WDI blames operations for improper maintenance, operations blames WDI for a defective design.
I thought the Yeti issue was a legal one?! They could fix it but it'd have to be substantially different to what was/is there currently. #ThanksBe2OSHA

Although FWIW, I think it'd make sense to relocate it anyway.
There might be a legal issue now as new guidelines exist regarding moving items over guest's heads, but these did not exist when the problem first arose and for several years after.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
In short, the problem is who picks up the bill. WDI blames operations for improper maintenance, operations blames WDI for a defective design.

There might be a legal issue now as new guidelines exist regarding moving items over guest's heads, but these did not exist when the problem first arose and for several years after.
Untitled21_20210115081450.png

Pepper's Ghost

I've read this explanation in previous posts years ago. It's the worst excuse I've ever heard for letting a customer facing blunder last 13 years. I'm not saying you're defending it, but TWDC should've fired the leaders of both these departments over 12 years ago for not having resolved it back then. It's the equivalent of an elevator being broken in a 10-story building for 13 years of a 14 year old building because maintenance thinks the builder should've repaired it. Who cares. Fix it. It's embarrassing at best.

yensidtlaw1969

I've read this explanation in previous posts years ago. It's the worst excuse I've ever heard for letting a customer facing blunder last 13 years. I'm not saying you're defending it, but TWDC should've fired the leaders of both these departments over 12 years ago for not having resolved it back then. It's the equivalent of an elevator being broken in a 10-story building for 13 years of a 14 year old building because maintenance thinks the builder should've repaired it. Who cares. Fix it. It's embarrassing at best.
The problem is, if the people paying money to visit the 10-story building keep coming, keep paying, and haven't submitted meaningful complaints about having to take the stairs, they start to think they can get away with not fixing it.

Pride in their product should overrule that, of course, and used to. But alas . . .

Rodj

The problem is, if the people paying money to visit the 10-story building keep coming, keep paying, and haven't submitted meaningful complaints about having to take the stairs, they start to think they can get away with not fixing it.

Pride in their product should overrule that, of course, and used to. But alas . . .
I am not sure if this is relevant, but it took direct messaging with a CM at Tower of Terror in order for SOME of the show effects to be fixed/working again because they had communication with the maintenance staff. Just telling customer service or to people outside of the attraction probably will lead to it getting ignored.

yensidtlaw1969

I am not sure if this is relevant, but it took direct messaging with a CM at Tower of Terror in order for SOME of the show effects to be fixed/working again because they had communication with the maintenance staff. Just telling customer service or to people outside of the attraction probably will lead to it getting ignored.
It's relavent insofar as being a testament to the degree which Disney is ignoring customer service complaints about maintenance.

Unfortunately, when an attraction still garners long lines of guests they seem to assume that whatever they're doing is sufficient.

Pepper's Ghost

I'm sorta proud to say after years of going every couple of years, my last time was 2009. Value for the price was part of the reason, as well as other reasons, but for me that's around the time things started going downhill, or thereabouts. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on when that was... 2020, 2015, 2010, 1985, 1971... I guess just pick when your favorite era ended. 🙃

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree, but it is what it is.

When it comes down to it, the biggest issue is it is a multi-million dollar repair to an effect that probably less than 50% of guests even see, and maybe only 5% actually know is not working.

The days of spending the cash because it is the right thing to do are long gone.

Pepper's Ghost

I agree, but it is what it is.

When it comes down to it, the biggest issue is it is a multi-million dollar repair to an effect that probably less than 50% of guests even see, and maybe only 5% actually know is not working.

The days of spending the cash because it is the right thing to do are long gone.
Very true, hence a point made a few posts ago that they should move the Yeti to a place that allows you to see it for several seconds. ;)

Walt d

I've had a lot of recent reports that some of Expedition Everest's effects are not currently working.

As of 15 April 2007:

- No steam effect at load
- Second waterfall not running (near the back of the mountain)
- No bird at the track end scene

If you ride Everest, and can provide an update as to what is and what isnt working, please do so here. Thanks :)
Oh”oh” were is joe?

EagleScout610

Premium Member
I read on the Defunctland Facebook from someone who did the DCP that every so often yeti is skinned, washed and put back. Could that be the possible "Removals" we saw in the past? Or at least the extended strobe-less time

danyoung56

I just had an interesting online conversation with Jim Korkis yesterday. For those not familiar, Jim is a former Imagineer, a former teacher at the Disney Institute, and regular contributor to Mouseplanet and All Ears.Net, among others. He posted an article on Mouseplanet this week about Everest, and he said -

"The figure was constructed to sit atop a 46 feet tall independent concrete base meant to hold its weight while allowing the beast to reach down on passengers in the passing train vehicles, terrifying riders and confirming that the legends of the creature were true. By 2008, the stress caused by the Yeti's complex movement split the figure's framing, which would cause a catastrophic malfunction to the ride if the figure continued running in "A-mode." The understanding is that the fault is in the concrete base and would require an extensive refurbishment that would likely last months. The glitch is apparently not in the figure itself."

I sent him an email where I said "Jim, there is a very prominent and knowledgeable member of another site who insists there is no problem with the concrete base, but he won't come out and say what the problem really is. How sure are you that the problem is indeed the base?"

And he responded "The concrete base is the official story of the Walt Disney Company at this time although I know that there are others who have indicated it is something else. I always choose to go with the official story rather than any rumors unless I have some good information to refute the official story."

Thoughts?

lazyboy97o

I just had an interesting online conversation with Jim Korkis yesterday. For those not familiar, Jim is a former Imagineer, a former teacher at the Disney Institute, and regular contributor to Mouseplanet and All Ears.Net, among others. He posted an article on Mouseplanet this week about Everest, and he said -

"The figure was constructed to sit atop a 46 feet tall independent concrete base meant to hold its weight while allowing the beast to reach down on passengers in the passing train vehicles, terrifying riders and confirming that the legends of the creature were true. By 2008, the stress caused by the Yeti's complex movement split the figure's framing, which would cause a catastrophic malfunction to the ride if the figure continued running in "A-mode." The understanding is that the fault is in the concrete base and would require an extensive refurbishment that would likely last months. The glitch is apparently not in the figure itself."

I sent him an email where I said "Jim, there is a very prominent and knowledgeable member of another site who insists there is no problem with the concrete base, but he won't come out and say what the problem really is. How sure are you that the problem is indeed the base?"

And he responded "The concrete base is the official story of the Walt Disney Company at this time although I know that there are others who have indicated it is something else. I always choose to go with the official story rather than any rumors unless I have some good information to refute the official story."

Thoughts?
Disney is stupid if that is their story official story. Admitting they are exposing their guests to a known overhead structural deficiency should have the health and safety personnel and lawyers screaming.

Korkis also uses language that doesn’t make much sense. A concrete foundation would not typically be described as “framing” but would describe an internal structure.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney is stupid if that is their story official story. Admitting they are exposing their guests to a known overhead structural deficiency should have the health and safety personnel and lawyers screaming.

Korkis also uses language that doesn’t make much sense. A concrete foundation would not typically be described as “framing” but would describe an internal structure.
I would tend to agree.

The only way I see a support structure issue displaying as a failure in the figure attached to it would be if the support structure is moving more than expected causing an unanticipated increase in forces or additional florces on the figure.

That however does not really jive with the previous information we have indicating that the fix initially presented by WDI before the attraction even opened was only an increased maintenance schedule on the figure. Had the support structure been the root cause I would have expected some effort to reinforce it in addition to the increased maintenance on the figure.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
So with the new trend of broken animatronic (Caballeros) being removed and replaced with a cardboard cutout, how soon until we see this pop up in front of the broken yeti?
Saxton-Horne-Yeti-built.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom