Expedition Everest effects status watch

Tom Morrow

Did you ask "Where is the yeti?" or "why isn't the yeti moving?" Because if she just told you where it was then she wasn't lying.

Sassagoula-Rvr

I rode it right after it opened....I miss that Yeti....when it was working...Expedition Everest was probably the best coaster I've ever been on....the pure mass of that thing swinging right over your car was AWESOME! They need to fix it...

skimbob

The Yeti is just on an extended holiday. :ROFLOL: I have never gotten to see the full effect. I love the ride and the que it's just too bad that the Yeti doesn't work. Right now I am more concerned about the status of the tree of life. It is such a wonderful work of art and I am terrified that it might totally collapse.

Tom Morrow

Doesn't work:
- Mist effects in caves/top of mountain (disabled because of corrosion and messing up ride sensors)
- Vulture at broken tracks (rumored to be disabled because it was a lame looking effect)
- Yeti (everyone knows about this one)

Works:
everything else.

POV video from annual passholder previews, 2006
POV video circa 2011

Oh man, look how different the experience is! Oh wait, no, the mist and vulture barely added anything at all, and you still could barely see the yeti. I'm not excusing TDO not fixing the yeti, but like I have said before, its a bit unfair to have this thread stickied when almost every single ride at WDW has just as many, if not more effects broken and neglected these days.

dreamscometrue

Doesn't work:
- Mist effects in caves/top of mountain (disabled because of corrosion and messing up ride sensors)
- Vulture at broken tracks (rumored to be disabled because it was a lame looking effect)
- Yeti (everyone knows about this one)

Works:
everything else.

POV video from annual passholder previews, 2006
POV video circa 2011

Oh man, look how different the experience is! Oh wait, no, the mist and vulture barely added anything at all, and you still could barely see the yeti. I'm not excusing TDO not fixing the yeti, but like I have said before, its a bit unfair to have this thread stickied when almost every single ride at WDW has just as many, if not more effects broken and neglected these days.

^^This :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
"Tom Morrow: I'm not excusing TDO not fixing the yeti, but like I have said before, its a bit unfair to have this thread stickied when almost every single ride at WDW has just as many, if not more effects broken and neglected these days.
It's totally fair. It's the parks flagship icon attraction and it's main, story driven finale is still broke.

Bolna

Well, it kind of shows that in 2007 it was still considered to be so out of the ordinary to have those little effects not working that people here made an effort to track them.

What you are saying that now the maintenance and show quality is so bad everywhere that it is not newsworthy anymore and that we should stop discussing this example of it. Should we just get used to the current state of WDW and give up any hope for it ever returning to the standard Disney once set for itself? That can't be the answer either!

WDW1974

Well, it kind of shows that in 2007 it was still considered to be so out of the ordinary to have those little effects not working that people here made an effort to track them.

What you are saying that now the maintenance and show quality is so bad everywhere that it is not newsworthy anymore and that we should stop discussing this example of it. Should we just get used to the current state of WDW and give up any hope for it ever returning to the standard Disney once set for itself? That can't be the answer either!

That sounds like the answer of people who mindlessly walk around the USA and say things like 'it's the best we can do' ... and 'it's the new normal' ... and my favorite since we always have money for what the government and Wall Street wants ... 'we don't have the money for it'.

The answer is Disney is going to have to spend some serious money to fix what they've neglected for years ... or they will be damaged as a brand, regardless of all the addicts and the rubes who think Everest and Dinosaur and PoC and Spalsh Mtn and Small World and etc etc look fine the way they are. WDW guests are getting a half-arsed product today ... and how acceptable that is depends on who you are and what kind of standards you have.

But I'm my name isn't Lou Mongello or Ricky Brigante or Tom What'shisface and about to be flown across the country and wined and dined to spout the Disney Parks BRAND as a whole.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
That sounds like the answer of people who mindlessly walk around the USA and say things like 'it's the best we can do' ... and 'it's the new normal' ... and my favorite since we always have money for what the government and Wall Street wants ... 'we don't have the money for it'.

The answer is Disney is going to have to spend some serious money to fix what they've neglected for years ... or they will be damaged as a brand, regardless of all the addicts and the rubes who think Everest and Dinosaur and PoC and Spalsh Mtn and Small World and etc etc look fine the way they are. WDW guests are getting a half-arsed product today ... and how acceptable that is depends on who you are and what kind of standards you have.

But I'm my name isn't Lou Mongello or Ricky Brigante or Tom What'shisface and about to be flown across the country and wined and dined to spout the Disney Parks BRAND as a whole.

It is instilled at a young age with kids being happy about just barely passing a course or receiving a mediocre grade. Lack of effort to strive to be better. The lights around the resort and even downtown Disney for the that matter scream lack of maintenance (and a small but pivotal item at that).

Tom Morrow

That's the opposite of what I'm saying. IMO we should focus on EVERYTHING, and not just the yeti. Everest having bad show is not the minority... so why have one stickied thread devoted to one attraction, when under this logic we should have one for every major attraction with obvious maintenance issues?

It'd be fine if the yeti was the exception. But how many think "Well, the yeti is broken, but all the other rides are mostly fine, right?" Well, no, they're not...

WDW1974

It is instilled at a young age with kids being happy about just barely passing a course or receiving a mediocre grade. Lack of effort to strive to be better. The lights around the resort and even downtown Disney for the that matter scream lack of maintenance (and a small but pivotal item at that).

Exactly. Walt was always concerned with one piece of trash on the ground, one piece of graffiti on the walls, one thing looking wrong ... because he knew that human nature leads one to follow. If one idiot spits his gum on the ground and you leave it, the next day you probably will have 23 more (see WDW pavement/walkways today).

Some people are OK with that. I had a friend once who used to justify filthy WDW carpet in the resorts by saying ''I never look down'' ... that's fine for many folks. Not for me ... I expect and I DEMAND that I get what I pay for and the product that is marketed to me.

Bolna

That's the opposite of what I'm saying. IMO we should focus on EVERYTHING, and not just the yeti. Everest having bad show is not the minority... so why have one stickied thread devoted to one attraction, when under this logic we should have one for every major attraction with obvious maintenance issues?

It'd be fine if the yeti was the exception. But how many think "Well, the yeti is broken, but all the other rides are mostly fine, right?" Well, no, they're not...

Sorry, then it was a misunderstanding. There just seem plenty of people here on the board who do think bad show is acceptable - because that's just the way it is and you can't do anything about it...

I still think it is a telling tale that once (and only 5 years ago) the status of effects at Everest was so special that it got a sticky thread. It wouldn't if it had been only one of many issues with show quality then. Kind of proves that the "WDW is better now than ever" line just can't be true.

MerlinTheGoat

It's just really interesting to see how Disney went from hyping the Yeti as the most amazing thing they'd ever created at the time to having him remain broken, possibly forever. It was such a massive detail that they went out of their way to build up and detail in such an extreme manner, only to have it break shortly after and never be repaired again. I think this is one of the reasons this thread has become so popular and warranted such a sticky.

I had thought it might have been a decent idea to create a separate sub-forum for issues at WDW here. But then I decided against it. Not only would the staff members probably be against it, this would tuck it away in a corner and no one would notice such threads anymore. Though I support more issues being brought up and discussed.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I scanned this thread but could not find this information. How long did the Yeti Actually work from the opening date? How long was it until it stopped working and\or remained broken.
I could have sworn it was working on our very first trip as a family but can't be sure now if it was a false memory.

Anyway - they could take the time to fix..h*ck there has to be newer (less breakable -easy to service) better technology out there even by now...but it all come down to one thing - the money. they'll never replace it unless they have to. They don't have to because people still come to the World in droves...still ride this ride over and over and over again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom