Expedition Everest effects status watch

wsmith1978

8556557395_43f350fb2a_o.jpg

luis71091

Yeah, it was off today when I rode it. Also, I could barely see Disco yeti!! My friend, who rode it for the first time today, totally missed it because the strobe lights were so dim. Very dissapointed.

Tom Morrow

Let that sink in for a moment... they care so little about show quality that they are allowing the ride to run several days without that scene... which means essentially none of the special effects on the ride are working... rather than replace... a projector.

Let that sink in for a moment... they care so little about show quality that they are allowing the ride to run several days without that scene... which means essentially none of the special effects on the ride are working... rather than replace... a projector.
To be fair: it is much better to run without the scene then to shutdown the whole ride. While the entire ride experience is preferred, I would have been very upset if they had shutdown the whole ride for a non-safety issue.

Tom Morrow

Except that all they have to do is fix or replace a projector and they've had several days to do so?

You're paying a premium price for what is supposed to be top-of-the-line theme park experience. If they can't shut down an attraction for the very minimal amount of time it would take to fix or replace a projector, then what does that say about them? They care only about numbers, not the quality of the experience you paid for and deserve.

Screw it, lets just remove all the effects from Tower of Terror and have you move through plain, brightly lit rooms where nothing happens - "as long as I get to ride it!"

Except that all they have to do is fix or replace a projector and they've had several days to do so?

You're paying a premium price for what is supposed to be top-of-the-line theme park experience. If they can't shut down an attraction for the very minimal amount of time it would take to fix or replace a projector, then what does that say about them? They care only about numbers, not the quality of the experience you paid for and deserve.

Screw it, lets just remove all the effects from Tower of Terror and have you move through plain, brightly lit rooms where nothing happens - "as long as I get to ride it!"
You are missing the point and exaggerating for effect. While we see 'just a projector' we have absolutely no idea how hard it is to replace or maintenance. Also keep in mind that when you open/close a ride like Everest there are certain things that need to be done so there is no 'minimal shutdown' to replace a projector.

In this concrete example I would venture to guess that most people would be more upset over the ride being closed to replace a projector than not seeing the effect. And certainly in your exaggerated example some people just care about the drop and not the back-story at all on TOT.

Of course they only care about numbers, how else are they supposed to make decisions, by emotion? When things like this happen you have to weigh the pros and cons (and costs and benefits) to everything. I don't know the numbers, but I bet my paycheck that Disney does. And they know how much it would be to replace or fix any given piece of an attraction. There are certainly people that know every little part of their favorite attraction, but you can't expect them to shut down the ride for each little thing, especially when a large percentage of the riders won't even know it is missing.

MerlinTheGoat

Indeed. The ride hasn't been functioning fully since 2006 early in its life apparently. Now what is essentially one of the last functional show elements has been either turned off or broken. No more stupid excuses, no more BS justifications that shill for the company's shameful maintenance practices. Get the thing working properly. Doesn't matter whether it needs to be taken down or not (good info has said it doesn't need to go down to fix everything wrong with it). Get it done.

Bairstow

Indeed. The ride hasn't been functioning fully since 2006 early in its life apparently. Now what is essentially one of the last functional show elements has been either turned off or broken. No more stupid excuses, no more BS justifications that shill for the company's shameful maintenance practices. Get the thing working properly. Doesn't matter whether it needs to be taken down or not (good info has said it doesn't need to go down to fix everything wrong with it). Get it done.

Why should they?
People are still paying to see it, and closing it would cripple the park and lead to customer dissatisfaction.
Disney has learned that the condition of their rides ultimately has very little relation to the money they make, at least in Florida.

MerlinTheGoat

Why should they?
People are still paying to see it, and closing it would cripple the park and lead to customer dissatisfaction.
Disney has learned that the condition of their rides ultimately has very little relation to the money they make, at least in Florida.
As said, pretty much all of these issues would almost certainly be fixable without closing the mountain. The yeti as Martin and other insiders have stated on numerous occasions can be removed and repaired (or given an alternative) without closing the mountain at all. I'm doubtful any downtime would be needed to fix a projector either, regardless of what someone said above.

Despite the shamefulness of Everest's condition, there do still exist refurbs (at least in other parks). One wonders how Splash Mountain and Big Thunder underwent such refurbs that ended up correcting broken or switched off show elements if such things are completely unimportant. Perhaps you should ask Disney why they should fix these issues. To someone in the company, it still does seem to matter somewhat. It hasn't happened to Everest or Animal Kingdom yet, but it's happening in some places elsewhere.

Bairstow

As said, pretty much all of these issues would almost certainly be fixable without closing the mountain. The yeti as Martin and other insiders have stated on numerous occasions can be removed and repaired (or given an alternative) without closing the mountain at all. I'm doubtful any downtime would be needed to fix a projector either, regardless of what someone said above.

Despite the shamefulness of Everest's condition, there do still exist refurbs (at least in other parks). One wonders how Splash Mountain and Big Thunder underwent such refurbs that ended up correcting broken or switched off show elements if such things are completely unimportant. Perhaps you should ask Disney why they should fix these issues. To someone in the company, it still does seem to matter somewhat. It hasn't happened to Everest or Animal Kingdom yet, but it's happening in some places elsewhere.

My understanding is that the past Thunder and Splash renovations were mostly aimed at resolving operational or safety issues required to keep the things running without injuring a guest.
Non-essential, show-only elements like the falling rocks in Thunder were left broken if fixing them would have required spending more than a few thousand dollars and/or if they delayed mechanical ride repairs.
All that is known so far about the ongoing Splash renovation is that the flume has been torn down and rebuilt, presumably for safety reasons.
It remains to be seen whether any additional repairs to the interior show scenes have been undertaken.

MerlinTheGoat

The lift hill effects are gone yes. But there were still a number of show elements fixed during the refurb as well, including apparently animatronic figures in the town scene as well as some of the geysers (the hanging opossums were also missing but returned at one point after the refurb was over too). The mountain was also repainted as well. There are still lots of missing effects that should return, but at least some of the show elements were corrected.

I'm not getting my hopes very high with Splash Mountain yet until I've seen it, but numerous insiders have said at least some of the show elements are being addressed. I believe @wdw71fan stated that a lot (if not all) of the animatronic figures were removed from the ride almost immediately upon closure and taken to the workshop for maintenance, so at least some of them are likely to return looking better than they did (though correct me if i'm wrong wdw71fan). There was also some paint work done to the outside as well. The insiders have said that at least early on, the refurb had a very large and healthily padded budget. It seems very likely the ride will reopen in better condition than it closed in at the very least. There were even signs prior to the refurb of water effects in the laughing place scene being fixed (some of the fountains underneath the turtles returned and some of the other fountains).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom