Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

Kman101

They're so cheap, but with the way their little minds work, it doesn't surprise me. They can justify not fixing it and spending the money on it a number of ways. Such as no added ROI, and the fact that many don't even know it's not working. Sigh.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Which would lead one to believe that cost is preventing the Yeti from being fixed, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Do you have any indication of what this refurb may be about and whether or not the option of fixing the Yeti is even still remotely close to being on the table?
I wish I knew.

hokielutz

Also, can someone please explain to me 'the bird on a stick'? I see it in the video, it looks out of place and a bit weird. Why is it there?

I thought I read somewhere that the Bird on a Stick was used to scare off any real birds from sitting on the broken tracks or the banner lines that cross over the train at the summit.

Its not a real show element....just a scare crow, yes??

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm interested in knowing what, if anything, the insiders here on the board have heard about this (apparent) refurb work that is taking place. Are we looking at minor fixes or perhaps something bigger?

I haven't seen any permits for Everest recently. If one doesn't pop up in the next couple days, then I would have to assume that this work is something very minor.

Tom Morrow

The yeti is on a platform structure inside the mountain (but not dead center) about 20-30 feet off the ground.
Steam for the train is an off & on item. Most of the time it is working just fine.
The steam is sometimes shut off on very hot or humid days because it makes the station that much more hot and humid, especially for the CM's working right next to it.
I thought I read somewhere that the Bird on a Stick was used to scare off any real birds from sitting on the broken tracks or the banner lines that cross over the train at the summit.

Its not a real show element....just a scare crow, yes??
No. The movement of the trains would be enough to scare birds off of the track. There is even audio in the broken track scene of vultures screeching.

hokielutz

Which would lead one to believe that cost is preventing the Yeti from being fixed, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Do you have any indication of what this refurb may be about and whether or not the option of fixing the Yeti is even still remotely close to being on the table?

Yet cost, time, & materials are apparently not an issue with the expanded Fantasyland & the coming Avatar land.

hokielutz

No. The movement of the trains would be enough to scare birds off of the track. There is even audio in the broken track scene of vultures screeching.

But the Bird on a stick was never really sequenced with arriving and departing trains. I would take repeated trips on the ride and saw the bird would either retreat upon arrival or fly in while we departed, or fly in upon arriving. It always varied, and I thought that is why it wasn't a serious show element. The screeching was to make the bird not seem out of place.

natatomic

I posted this in the "Everest effects status watch" thread:

During hurricane Ernesto (at least, I'm pretty sure that's which one it was) 1.5-2 years ago, the winds blew off the wood from the "broken" pieces of track. You've been able to see the metal rods and glue squiggles underneath for the past year and a half. SUPER bad show. Looks like it's been taken down to FINALLY be fixed and restored back to it's original show condition. But that's all it is. Nothing more interesting than that.

Here's a picture so you can see what I'm talking about:
ipod folder 093.JPG

djkidkaz

During hurricane Ernesto (at least, I'm pretty sure that's which one it was) 1.5-2 years ago, the winds blew off the wood from the "broken" pieces of track. You've been able to see the metal rods and glue squiggles underneath for the past year and a half. SUPER bad show. Looks like it's been taken down to FINALLY be fixed and restored back to it's original show condition. But that's all it is. Nothing more interesting than that.

View attachment 55577

Yeah I have noticed that for quite some time. I'd imagine thats whats being repaired. Im going to AK tonight, so I'll ride everest and report back anything of interest.

Mike S

I posted this in the "Everest effects status watch" thread:

View attachment 55577
I actually never noticed that before o_O

Tom Morrow

But the Bird on a stick was never really sequenced with arriving and departing trains. I would take repeated trips on the ride and saw the bird would either retreat upon arrival or fly in while we departed, or fly in upon arriving. It always varied, and I thought that is why it wasn't a serious show element. The screeching was to make the bird not seem out of place.
I think it just continuously moves up and down. I don't know if it stops when a train isn't there, but either way it would explain why its in different positions when you are in the scene.

ABQ

You can't make it out well, but isn't there a maintenance stairway in the part of the show building in the shadows here that leads pretty much right to the silly bird on a stick and the broken tracks? One would hope this makes for a very accessible way to fix the faux broken rails.

EE.jpeg

-em

All I know is that they finally replaced some of the flags at the top but many more are needed (and the bird on a stick worked!).. come to think about it I didnt notice if the 'track' was gone (course I was near the back..)

fractal

I agree that the missing "broken" track makes the that portion of the ride terrifying. Maybe they should have the broken track curve down over the edge instead of up?

Cesar R M

I agree that the missing "broken" track makes the that portion of the ride terrifying. Maybe they should have the broken track curve down over the edge instead of up?
or one side up and other down, so people can see the thing is broken and going down...

natatomic

You can't make it out well, but isn't there a maintenance stairway in the part of the show building in the shadows here that leads pretty much right to the silly bird on a stick and the broken tracks? One would hope this makes for a very accessible way to fix the faux broken rails.

View attachment 55582

There's not. The only way to get there is to climb those ladders on the outside that I circled in orange, and then follow that path I drew with the arrows INSIDE the building (you can't see the opening from there, though you CAN see the opening where the bird comes out). At least, I am 99% sure that how you get there.
Untitled.jpg

Edit: Or maybe you follow those stairs along the left edge and enter through that opening and THEN walk around inside...I can't remember now. Either way, it's ONE of those two ways for sure.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom