Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

Timekeeper

Big Thunder's broken track effect. Enjoy it while it's still there. :cautious:

Tunnel.jpg

RunnerEd

As extremely brief as the Yeti's appearance is, I would be happy if they did a high quality projection if the only other option is disco mode. I rode the attraction with a working Yeti; it is such a cool effect and it needs to work in some way.

note2001

Totally bizarre that the bird on a stick is back.

I am a bit confused, though... of all the things to refurbish/fix on Everest, they choose the broken track? I never noticed any problems with it, but, meh... kinda bad show...

Our best hunch is they removed it to repair some part of it & it will return. If you think about it, it's a bunch of metal that's been up there in the elements for years with no attention. It might be rusted, have loose connections... anything. When will it return? Well, that depends on how long it takes them to repair.

Would you rather a scrim in its place? Or, how about a jersey barrier?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
As extremely brief as the Yeti's appearance is, I would be happy if they did a high quality projection if the only other option is disco mode. I rode the attraction with a working Yeti; it is such a cool effect and it needs to work in some way.
Hmm, HQ/HD (or 4K/8K) Video Yeti... that might could work considering how dark it is in there.

Sabriel

That video was terrifying without the broken track. I have a vague memory of also being terrified when I first rode Everest in 2006, so much so that when I rode it again last year, I was bracing for the yeti to attack. It was disappointing that it didn't, to say the least.

Seabasealpha1

I'm spit-balling here...maybe getting everest back up to snuff is part of all of these "things" they're trying to work into animal kingdom? Like maybe having it fixed is part of the larger plan?

Just a hopeful guess? I guess fixing it during the night would make sense...

NormC

I don't know the exact layout, but the Yeti is inside the mountain, and all of that work appears to be on the outside opposite of where he is located. Not to (re)start the "Yeti fix it" topic again, but some of the stories I've read, seem to indicate the "fix" would more or less involve a new Yeti.
I've heard that the Yeti is actually fixed but cannot be used because the concrete foundation block it is on moves with the force of the thrusting action and they have to fix that which is why it hasn't been done yet. Big job.

Rob562

Someone else will have to verify, but I believe there have been reports in the past that suggested the required work could actually be completed during the overnight hours while the ride remained fully operational during the day.

Even if he had to be removed, they could still do that without any major disruption to the attraction. At most they'd have to close it for a day or two. They'd just have to put up a screen or something to block off the gaping hole he'd leave behind.

He was installed after the mountain was completely built, and thus he can be removed while the mountain is still completely built.

-Rob

aklodge

I'm interested in knowing what, if anything, the insiders here on the board have heard about this (apparent) refurb work that is taking place. Are we looking at minor fixes or perhaps something bigger?

pumpkin7

Even if he had to be removed, they could still do that without any major disruption to the attraction. At most they'd have to close it for a day or two. They'd just have to put up a screen or something to block off the gaping hole he'd leave behind.

He was installed after the mountain was completely built, and thus he can be removed while the mountain is still completely built.

-Rob

Apparently, it's not that simple. I'm sure I've read on these forums that her base is intertwined with track/mountain/whatever, so although the animatronic can probably be removed, the base cannot. And it's the base that's bust, not her Ladyship Yeti.

Also, can someone please explain to me 'the bird on a stick'? I see it in the video, it looks out of place and a bit weird. Why is it there?

Kman101

I've heard that the Yeti is actually fixed but cannot be used because the concrete foundation block it is on moves with the force of the thrusting action and they have to fix that which is why it hasn't been done yet. Big job.

That sounds familiar to me as well. I probably read it in the effects status watch thread, lol. That the yeti is actually fine but the foundation it's on isn't and the movement of it caused cracks or something like that. Of course I'm not 100% on that.

ABQ

That sounds familiar to me as well. I probably read it in the effects status watch thread, lol. That the yeti is actually fine but the foundation it's on isn't and the movement of it caused cracks or something like that. Of course I'm not 100% on that.
I know this thread should stay focused on the "broken" track refurbishment matter, but this is a blurb, probably somewhere in our own threads, but I found it faster on a Micechat post from 2011 and it seems to fit the thoughts each of you have here:

fromMicechat said:
Multiple sources have confirmed that Disney's Imagineers have a VERY serious problem on their hands regarding the infamous "Disco Yeti". Expedition Everest enthusiasts have known for some time that the complex animatronic has been parked in B-Mode and Disney does not appear to be in any hurry to return the figure into its fully functional state. The concrete and steel foundation supporting the Yeti may be cracked and the repairs required will result a prolonged closure of the attraction.

If waiting until a scheduled refurbishment to repair the Yeti's foundation were the only obstacle facing Disney, then Expedition Everest fans' impatience would be tempered with the knowledge that the Yeti will eventually be fixed. But the real obstacle may be insurmountable.

You see, the Imagineers designed Expedition Everest as three separate and independent structures. First, the mountain itself. Second, the roller coaster track and track supports. Third, the foundation, support beams, and animatronic skeleton of the Yeti itself. Construction of all three structures was so complex that Disney had to rely upon a 4D software modeling program known as ConstructSim (a product of Bentley Systems, Inc) to help them coordinate the complex construction timeframe and coordination schedules.

There are rumors that a serious mistake in the application of ConstructSim resulted in improper staging of the Yeti foundation and support structure construction. The error in sequencing prevented adequate curing of a portion of the Yeti's foundation prior to the overlapping fabrication of mountain elements and roller coaster track. The premature construction produced additional stresses on the animatronic figure's foundation and produced excessive stress points. The mountain and roller coaster track construction, in turn, prevented the foundation from being visible to construction inspectors.

Expedition Everest was too complex in its design to allow construction without a 4D software likeConstructSim. Conversely, repair work on the Yeti's base will require selective removal of parts of the mountain structure and ride track structure. This refurbishment will also require extensive software previsualization. Disney's Imagineers must figure out what went wrong in the original construction previsualization before they can trust any future refurbishment previsualization.

A construction defect this critical in a project this complex can be a very daunting task for any organization to overcome -- even a group as talented as the Disney Imagineers. The question is -- will the Disney Corporate Bean Counters allow the Imagineers to fix the problem, or will they decide that "Disco Yeti" is "good enough"?

aklodge

Indeed. And it isn't hundreds of feet in the air either. Quite the opposite.

It would not.

The support and foundation are easily accessible and clear of obstruction too.
Which would lead one to believe that cost is preventing the Yeti from being fixed, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Do you have any indication of what this refurb may be about and whether or not the option of fixing the Yeti is even still remotely close to being on the table?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom