Exit through the gift shop- when did that start?

James122

The exit-into-a-gift-shop is definitly annoying at times, especially when the shops are busy and you have people continuing to clog the entrances and exits. It's interesting that this mainly seems to be a WDW phenomenon - most of the E-tickets at DL don't land you in a store after the ride.

LucyK

I quite enjoy exiting attractions through gift shops but only if they carry unique and related merchandise. I'm a bit of a shopaholic though.

Rob562

I wonder if the current trend of rides dumping people into shops was really kicked off by Splash Mountain and the concept of on-ride photos and the associated location to view/sell these things.

When Splash first opened, the gift shop/ride photo sop was optional. You could bear to the right and keep following the outside of the building without going through the shop. The pathway/covered porch is still there, but at some point they built a railing across that route forcing you into the gift shop.

-Rob

Figments Friend

I visited the Willis Tower (formally the Sears Tower) in Chicago last year and they have Disney beat in this respect. When you exit the elevator after coming down from the tower you go into a large gift shop. When you exit the gift shop you go down a hallway into, you guessed it, another gift shop! So not only does ride exit through gift shop, but gift shop exists through gift shop.

Kind of like Heathrow Airport....!

Never in my life did i see such a expanse you were forced to trudge through to get to your gate...( international term, at least...)

StarWarsGirl

images

Does anyone know when it became standard procedure at Disney World (or Disneyland) to always dump guests into a gift shop after an E-ticket attraction?

The earliest I can think of is Maelstrom->Puffin's Roost. Are there earlier examples?
At the end of the attraction, there could be danger. There could be peril. There could be treasure.

But it's Disney. It's a gift shop :p

StarWarsGirl

In a way, exiting through the gift shop makes sense. First of all, they can get you to buy stuff. Second, if they have attraction merchandise, it makes sense to put it in a location where guests would look for it. Third, if the ride has a photo op, they need an area where you can purchase photos if you don't have Magic Bands. Also (and this is just for WDW, not DL, even though they have a lot of gift shop exits too) if it's storming, I'd rather be in a gift shop at the end of the ride than in a cramped hallway.

That being said, it would be nice if they set it up more like Winnie the Pooh and Mickey's Phillhar Magic where you can bypass the gift shop. I can also think of quite a few attractions without a gift shop at the end, most notably Under the Sea, which is new and I really expected to have one at the end.

Attractions without: People Mover, Carousel of Progress Astro Orbitor, Indy Speedway, Mad Tea Party, Dumbo, Barnstormer, Under the Sea, Carousel (though I can see why on that one), Peter Pan's Flight, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Soarin' (well, kind of, but not really), Living with the Land, Circle of Life, Spaceship Earth (instead has activity center), Captain EO, Ellen's Energy Adventure, the movie at China, Beauty and the Beast Live, Lights Motors Action, Kilamanjaro Safaris, Primeval Whirl, Triceratops Spin, It's Tough to Be a Bug, any of the animal trails, Flights of Wonder, Finding Nemo, and Kali River Rapids.

Last edited:

FitzherbertFreak

As others have said, it makes complete sense - in Disney's case. Every guest is basically a sucker for merchandise; So why not shove stuff at them right after they get off of a ride? Disney gets more money! "Yay!" I also agree with @StarWarsGirl95; You kind of have to have a gift shop nearby if the ride is a Photopass ride.

DManRightHere

Space mountain? Potc? I like the ride themed gift shops as long as they have unique gifts, which is definitely becoming slimmer pickings. If it is a small gift shop they definitely need to have an easy exit from the ride (expedition everest).

FitzherbertFreak

Space mountain? Potc? I like the ride themed gift shops as long as they have unique gifts, which is definitely becoming slimmer pickings. If it is a small gift shop they definitely need to have an easy exit from the ride (expedition everest).
I completely agree! There was a time when the PotC gift shop was all themed merchandise. Now we have The Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise sitting next to a plastic sword and a Jack Sparrow action figure - I'm sorry, what?

luv

I think the shops are very convenient for people who want something ride-specific. It would be a much better idea to fill those shops with ride-specific things. Every item they sell for the ride should BE THERE. It isn't always, which is goofy.

IASW in WDW doesn't have a gift shop, but the merchandise is still popular, so I don't think a gift shop at the ride is really necessary.

They are tacky, though. No way around it, really.

Handy, but tacky (as are those photos.)

FettFan

Yeah, the loop through the Puffin's Roost is annoying as all hell. The arches at the end of Maelstrom are blocked off and the other doors inside locked/roped. Ugh.

That must be new, because when I visited back in July, we were able to leave the theater and exit into the main courtyard without having to go through Puffin's Roost.

ExtinctJenn

I completely agree! There was a time when the PotC gift shop was all themed merchandise. Now we have The Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise sitting next to a plastic sword and a Jack Sparrow action figure - I'm sorry, what?
I have to agree with this shared sentiment. Once the post-attraction gift shops start being a hodge-podge of stuff it loses it's "sense." This trip we just returned from the biggest example of that I saw was the exit of Imagination. When we were there in March, the gift shop was 75% Figment related stuff, 25% other randomness. Two weeks ago it was 90% randomness and 10% Figment (which does make you wonder if the rumors re: Figment going bye-bye are true but that's another topic).

draybook

And it's awful for me to have to walk through the last part of the Norway shop-I can't handle the perfume!!!

BLASPHEMY!!!

I hereby sentence you to two weeks in the Liberty Square stocks so that you may think about what you've said.

But seriously, we love the smell of Laila by Geir Ness. It's the only scent that I know that makes me forget about the Abercrombie & Fitch odor emanating from their stores as I walk by. It's like being carried out of the pavilion by the hands of angels.......

minniemickeyfan

BLASPHEMY!!!

I hereby sentence you to two weeks in the Liberty Square stocks so that you may think about what you've said.

But seriously, we love the smell of Laila by Geir Ness. It's the only scent that I know that makes me forget about the Abercrombie & Fitch odor emanating from their stores as I walk by. It's like being carried out of the pavilion by the hands of angels.......
I'm sure there's some good scents in there:), but breathing afterward I may not:eek:, seriously it's that bad for me. I just can't imagine what people are thinking of me when I'm practically running out of there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom