Exit through the gift shop- when did that start?

luv

I'm sure there's some good scents in there:), but breathing afterward I may not:eek:, seriously it's that bad for me. I just can't imagine what people are thinking of me when I'm practically running out of there.
The perfume has a pretty scent, but I zip past it as quickly as possible, too. It doesn't affect my ability to breathe, but will give me a headache. :)

GenerationX

We don't do much beyond smooshing pennies in gift shops, so exiting through the gift shop doesn't encourage us to spend more. The one advantage to the exit through the gift shop is that it delays that post-ride feeling of disorientation you get trying to figure out where exactly the ride has dumped you out.

some guy

What about Puffin's Roost in Norway?
Was there a way to bypass the store originally?
Back in the day you could leave out of any of the shops, and I'm pretty sure you could just walk out in the sometimes-roped area where the fastpasses are these days (or were, it's been a year or two since I've been).
I still go out that way because the perfume drives my sinuses up the wall. I just move the ropes because I'm hardcore gangsta like that. And it's later in the day when nobody's getting FP so it's not like there's a line for me to be perceived as cutting.

George

Liker of Things
The PoTC post ride gift area has been discussed in this thread. I got a gun there as a kid and would gently place a cap on the firing pin, before pulling the trigger and releasing the hammer for that satisfying pop (I did this in the yard at home, not at MK). Anyhoo, they do something now that is annoying. Over the last several years, when I have exited the ride, there is a usually a bookcase like thing full of crap that I have to actually alter my path to avoid or I'll run into it. I was on the ride once with a friend who works retail and they had a specific name for this placement (I forget what it is), but I call it tacky.

Not saying there isn't, but wasn't this a trend where Six Flags followed Disney's lead?

Your question actually caused me to do an internetz search because I became curious as what ride/amusement park/theme park first had a gift shop as an attraction exit. I didn't find an answer, but perhaps someone knows this weird bit of history or will do a search with a different engine and better terms to find the result.

We don't do much beyond smooshing pennies in gift shops, so exiting through the gift shop doesn't encourage us to spend more. The one advantage to the exit through the gift shop is that it delays that post-ride feeling of disorientation you get trying to figure out where exactly the ride has dumped you out.

My kids love the smooshing of pennies. The smooshed quarters cross a line for this cheap parental unit. :lookaroun

George Lucas on a Bench

So Magic Kingdom Pirates was the first? Magic Kingdom's version is actually a landmark attraction for Disney in its own weird way. It's been the model for how they design many Disney attractions to this day with its elaborate themed waiting line and gift shop at the exit. Not to mention the watered-down "on the cheap" cloning of the ride (okay, there is or was some unique awesome stuff in there though), girly princess additions of mermaids and having the women chase the pirates with brooms and all the removed elements like the barker bird, talking skull, firing cannons and numerous animatronics within the attraction. Also the movie crap being shoehorned in there and tacky signage vandalizing the exterior. It exemplifies how Disney does everything these days.

Goofyernmost

So they're going to charge you to enter DTD then?
Why not? Costco and others get away with it! I'd like to have been in the meeting when they discussed how you go about convincing people to pay you money to go to a store and buy things from them. It took a lot of guts to invest a lot of money into that concept, but, if nothing else, it proves just how foolish the public can be and how willing they are to spend money on a novel idea.

psukardi

Why not? Costco and others get away with it! I'd like to have been in the meeting when they discussed how you go about convincing people to pay you money to go to a store and buy things from them. It took a lot of guts to invest a lot of money into that concept, but, if nothing else, it proves just how foolish the public can be and how willing they are to spend money on a novel idea.

Costco at least gives you the "benefit" of buying bulk-loads of crap at a "discount" plus they give you 2% back on your purchases so if you buy a ton of TP and rations you make your money back.

This would be a tough sell

Goofyernmost

Costco at least gives you the "benefit" of buying bulk-loads of crap at a "discount" plus they give you 2% back on your purchases so if you buy a ton of TP and rations you make your money back.

This would be a tough sell
In other stores I can get discounts, not have to buy way more then I need to do it and get 2% or more back. So it is still a smoke and mirror situation. Belonging to Costco, for some reason that only some deity is aware of, has become a status situation. Why? I do not know. Paying money to have the privilege of buying something from someone is beyond my comprehension. Selling stuff is still the only thing that they do and they don't even give you anything to carry it out to your car with. Simply amazing! Granted their prices are discounted for brand name items, but, you can still buy store brands, probably made by the same company, which are still cheaper.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom