Everyone's Best and Worst Dining Experiences?

momof1princess

According to a very scientific poll at my dinner table...

Best: Liberty Tree (dinner, family friendly options), Mickey's Backyard BBQ

Worst: Spirit of Aloha (poor food quality, kids thought show wasn't interesting)

Phonedave

Best and worst experiences - not necessarly the best and worst places.

The best for me was Victoria & Alberts - there are two dishes, from two seperate occassions that I still remember from there. A veal cheek and golden beet stack, and a dover sole with meyer lemon.

Going a more pedistrian route, one of my best experiences was at Brown Derby. Now, remember, this is a single experience, not an overall rating of the restaruant. I do like The Brown Derby, but on one occassion it was a bunch of friends for an early dinner, with a lot of good conversations, memorable things happening (6 or 7 years later, and every so often the word "tarragon" still gets thrown around), and a very friendly waiter who added to the fun, and quite honestly, enjoyable food.

As for the worst singluar experience, that is easy. There is one meal, that above any others, is seared into my mind as the perfect storm of poor execution. It honestly is one of (not the worst, but it comes close) the worst experiences I have had at any sort of dining establishements.

From this original thread

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/marathon-food-report.684443/#post-4413008

I ate there Jan 9, 2011 after the marathon and thought it was by far the worst meal I have ever had in easily over 50 table service dinners I have had at WDW.

For you reading pleasure, it is reproduced below.(the original post has pictures)

I had thought long about where to eat post marathon. I was going to expend 3,500+ calories running that morning - I needed a buffet in order not to go broke. A combination of places that were booked and places I did not want to eat at steered me to Cape May Cafe

Adult Dinner - $32.99
Blue Moon Beer - $5.75

This is now officially, in my book, the worst place to eat in WDW. When I entered the hostess gave me a rundown of the place, part of which was "of course over here is our dessert bar, which is the best part" that should have been a tip off from square one. My server disappeared for long stretches of time. When I ordered a beer, she took my water away. I then drank the beer, but she was nowhere to be found to either order another one or to get water.

Crab legs were ok, but nothing to write home about

Peel and eat shrimp - I understand the peel your own concept. Saves on costs and prevents patrons from gorging themselves. But could you at least de-vein them? Me, I eat anything, and have no problems ingesting a shrimps p00p-pipe, but really, any restaurant that serves shrimp with the veins still in needs to question its operation.

Overcooked rubbery PEI mussels that were the smallest I have ever seen, and tasted nothing like any PEI mussel I have ever had.

The fish was harder and drier than the table I was sitting at.

Clams have sand. I understand that. These had more sand than clam. I think I ground the enamel off my teeth. They are also NOT steamers, they are hard shell clams. There is a difference.

The ribs were just like my mother used to make when I was a kid. My mom made horrible ribs. You had to wrestle the meat off the bone.

Some highlights - the mashed potatoes were very good. - OK thats about it.

Then moving on to dessert - remember this is the best part. Utter dreck. Overly sweet, clearly pre-frozen and defrosted, some still with ice crystals. Items that had a crust were sogged out.

I ate a load of food because I was hungry, but really, it was not a place I want to ever go to again.

Hockey89

Best and worst experiences - not necessarly the best and worst places.

The best for me was Victoria & Alberts - there are two dishes, from two seperate occassions that I still remember from there. A veal cheek and golden beet stack, and a dover sole with meyer lemon.

Going a more pedistrian route, one of my best experiences was at Brown Derby. Now, remember, this is a single experience, not an overall rating of the restaruant. I do like The Brown Derby, but on one occassion it was a bunch of friends for an early dinner, with a lot of good conversations, memorable things happening (6 or 7 years later, and every so often the word "tarragon" still gets thrown around), and a very friendly waiter who added to the fun, and quite honestly, enjoyable food.

As for the worst singluar experience, that is easy. There is one meal, that above any others, is seared into my mind as the perfect storm of poor execution. It honestly is one of (not the worst, but it comes close) the worst experiences I have had at any sort of dining establishements.

From this original thread

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/marathon-food-report.684443/#post-4413008

I ate there Jan 9, 2011 after the marathon and thought it was by far the worst meal I have ever had in easily over 50 table service dinners I have had at WDW.

For you reading pleasure, it is reproduced below.(the original post has pictures)

I had thought long about where to eat post marathon. I was going to expend 3,500+ calories running that morning - I needed a buffet in order not to go broke. A combination of places that were booked and places I did not want to eat at steered me to Cape May Cafe

Adult Dinner - $32.99
Blue Moon Beer - $5.75

This is now officially, in my book, the worst place to eat in WDW. When I entered the hostess gave me a rundown of the place, part of which was "of course over here is our dessert bar, which is the best part" that should have been a tip off from square one. My server disappeared for long stretches of time. When I ordered a beer, she took my water away. I then drank the beer, but she was nowhere to be found to either order another one or to get water.

Crab legs were ok, but nothing to write home about

Peel and eat shrimp - I understand the peel your own concept. Saves on costs and prevents patrons from gorging themselves. But could you at least de-vein them? Me, I eat anything, and have no problems ingesting a shrimps p00p-pipe, but really, any restaurant that serves shrimp with the veins still in needs to question its operation.

Overcooked rubbery PEI mussels that were the smallest I have ever seen, and tasted nothing like any PEI mussel I have ever had.

The fish was harder and drier than the table I was sitting at.

Clams have sand. I understand that. These had more sand than clam. I think I ground the enamel off my teeth. They are also NOT steamers, they are hard shell clams. There is a difference.

The ribs were just like my mother used to make when I was a kid. My mom made horrible ribs. You had to wrestle the meat off the bone.

Some highlights - the mashed potatoes were very good. - OK thats about it.

Then moving on to dessert - remember this is the best part. Utter dreck. Overly sweet, clearly pre-frozen and defrosted, some still with ice crystals. Items that had a crust were sogged out.

I ate a load of food because I was hungry, but really, it was not a place I want to ever go to again.
So that's a no on Cape May ;)

oneillkat

Best is always 'Ohana. We've never had a bad experience there, and the food is SO good. Worst experience was probably Hollywood & Vine. The food was cold and subpar, and it seemed grimy in the restaurant.

ninjaprincesst

Best BOG every time I have eaten there it has been an amazing experience with great food.
Worst Crystal Palace and it had nothing to do with the food or wait staff it was the table in front of us. They were so obnoxious, they would hog the characters for ever but the annoying part is when the characters would try to leave and come to us they wouldn't let them. The parents kept telling the kids to chase down the characters and would tell them things like "Pull Tigger's tail" It got so bad that Tigger actually had to take his paws and sorda shove those kids down under our table just so we could get photos with out those kids in them. I really thought someone (manager, character handler) should have stepped in and told them they were welcome to sit and wait for the characters to come back around but it was now our time with the characters.

ninjaprincesst

Best:
  1. California Grill ( delicious food wise, the service from our waiter was kinda shaky on new years),
  2. Yak and Yeti (never had a bad service in all the times I've been there, best waiters I've ever seen and decent food)
  3. Tony's at MK ( not so good food, but excellent waiters as well)
  4. Rainforest cafe (Above average food, not so expensive, good waiters, food was hot and moved quickly)
Worst:
  1. Cosmic Rays (Horrible dry and cold food, no space, slow, awful service, I've had better service from McDonalds employees)
  2. La Cantina de San Angel (Awful service, kinda rude staff, food is texmex not real mexican)
  3. Hollywood and Vine (pretty generic food, nothing special, average service, got assigned to a dirty table and they took a bit to clean it, many tables were empty and clean , we moved in the end and got our food. Most of the food was QS quality or worse)
Best Overall: YAK AND YETI
Wow, the La Cantina de San Angel is one of my favorites, I guess it really depends on the type of Mexican food you like, being from Texas I much prefer Texmex to all the Chipoltle type stuff you find in the rest of the Mexican offerings around Disney.

Cesar R M

Wow, the La Cantina de San Angel is one of my favorites, I guess it really depends on the type of Mexican food you like, being from Texas I much prefer Texmex to all the Chipoltle type stuff you find in the rest of the Mexican offerings around Disney.
Well, I'm Mexican. so I know what Mexican food is. And while most of San Angels recipes are indeed Mexican. The condiments, taste and things they put it on.. is more texmex than normal Mexican.
Infact, I see these variations all the time in Houston Texas. Same flavor.
Very different from real mexican joints.

ninjaprincesst

Well, I'm Mexican. so I know what Mexican food is. And while most of San Angels recipes are indeed Mexican. The condiments, taste and things they put it on.. is more texmex than normal Mexican.
Infact, I see these variations all the time in Houston Texas. Same flavor.
Very different from real mexican joints.
I am Mexican and the things my grandmother fixed, tamales, enchiladas, ect were not at all what people like to call traditional Mexican. She said that what most people call traditional mexican is pretty much what is eaten in the coastal towns, not everywhere.

Crazydisneygirl

Worst would be the 50's Diner. Food was fine and the waiter was funny until the end. This happened in 2010 and still burns my husband when he thinks about it. We saved for years for this trip with our 2 children. We were on the free dining program and did not have a lot of money for souveniers etc. When the end came we left a tip of a $40 which I thought was very reasonable. The waiter took the money and asked my husband if he dropped $20 as he was expecting more. My husband was upset at this. To say this to us was not acceptable. This left a bad taste in his mouth for the rest of the trip.

Cesar R M

I am Mexican and the things my grandmother fixed, tamales, enchiladas, ect were not at all what people like to call traditional Mexican. She said that what most people call traditional mexican is pretty much what is eaten in the coastal towns, not everywhere.
Interesting.. what coastal towns? I live in a coastal town but was born in one of the major cities (Guadalajara) and trust me, the taste is completely different.
Reminds me of the "Sopa de Tortilla" they offer in WDW.. absolutely NOTHING to do with the original recipe. Which doesn't even have YELLOW corn nor bell peppers.

IanDLBZF

For me:
Best TS:
  • California Grill Dinner - HANDS DOWN, the best I've ever had in WDW. Loved the BLT Flatbread and the Forelle Pear Salad! Also, it gives an amazing view of MK's fireworks without the darn crowds! :D
  • Honorable Mentions go to 50's Prime Time Cafe and Via Napoli
Worst TS:
  • Ohana Dinner - Chicken was dry, among other things. Whole dinner experience is a disaster. My mom as a matter of fact may have gotten sick from this...:hungover:
Best QS:
  • First Place: Sunshine Seasons at Epcot - Nothing but praise here, their turkey sandwiches are pretty darn good.
  • Second Place (if this even counts as a QS): Be Our Guest Breakfast - Me and my mom tried breakfast here sometime ago (3/14 to be exact), I had the croissant donut and mom had the open faced egg sandwich. Food here was pretty good, save for the pastries, which IMHO could have been warmed though. I've had lunch here too once, and that was pretty decent (and cheaper than breakfast!)
Worst QS:
  • ABC Comissionary: Do I really need some sort of explanation here? Service was nothing but crap, and food kinda sucked. Never again. o_O

Last edited:

ninjaprincesst

Interesting.. what coastal towns? I live in a coastal town but was born in one of the major cities (Guadalajara) and trust me, the taste is completely different.
Reminds me of the "Sopa de Tortilla" they offer in WDW.. absolutely NOTHING to do with the original recipe. Which doesn't even have YELLOW corn nor bell peppers.
Guess it all depends on where your from, she was born in Mexico Ctiy and lived in a small town near the Edinburgh McAllen border unr=til she married and moved to Edinburg.

Cesar R M

Guess it all depends on where your from, she was born in Mexico Ctiy and lived in a small town near the Edinburgh McAllen border unr=til she married and moved to Edinburg.
Technically, living near the border is texmex zone, regarding if its on the Mexico's side.
Ps, Coronado hotel definitively has the most "Americanized" mexican food of all the joints I've seen at WDW.

ps, if you can continue talking, PM me.
Id hate to keep derailing the thread for what it was.

Buckeye Guy

Best= Table Service 'OHana, Le Cellier, and Kona

Worst= Table Service Be Our Guest Dinner felt like we were rushed in they threw food at us that was average at best never again!!!! On a positive note we enjoy breakfast and lunch there for quick service just not worth a table service to me for dinner much better choices for a great meal than there!!!

Quick= Best Flaming Tree and Harbor House we enjoy these two every time most quick service are ok but these 2 are our picks

Belle_MTL

Best: Wherever Chef TJ is working (currently Trail's End). Overall experience however goes to BOG dinner.
Worst: Mickey's Backyard BBQ. We just did not enjoy any part of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom