Ever been to WDW in middle of Hurricane?

Hrudey3032

Original Poster
I was in Hurricane Irene in 1999 in Oct where Disney closed for a day but was open the next.The place was a Ghost town and we walked onto everything at the MK.Of course it was a torrential downpour the whole day but we did everything except the Railroad and the few outdoor kiddie rides.I was just curious if anyone else would go during a Hurricane?

We were there in 2005 for Hurricane Wilma (I think it was that one). They announced that the parks were going to be closed the following day and that the hotels would have activities planned for guests. We were switching hotels that day, from ASM to Boardwalk, so actually it was kind of nice to have a more leisurely day. The in hotel programming on TV was really nice, because they showed Disney movies all day (this is a feature that I wish they had during normal weather). The hurricane began moving in the night before and there was torrential rain and wind, but by the middle of the next day, they announced that Epcot and MGM (or DHS now) would be reopening for a couple of hours.

All in all, not so bad. Not really afraid to go back during Hurricane Season. Actually, we'll be down in 23 days!!!!!

I worked there during the Charley/Frances/Ivan/Jean season. That was very interesting. At the time, I was working custodial on Main Street and the day we closed early for Frances, we were the ones who had to stay after the guests had left, to put all the tables, chairs, signs and everything else that was loose, inside buildings so it wouldn't be blown around. The weirdest part was that the weather was realy nice while we were doing this (though we knew what was coming) so it was really weird to see Main Street USA in the middle of the day with no guests, just a dozen custodians. It was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

PirateJeffWDW

PhotoDave219

I worked there during the Charley/Frances/Ivan/Jean season. That was very interesting. At the time, I was working custodial on Main Street and the day we closed early for Frances, we were the ones who had to stay after the guests had left, to put all the tables, chairs, signs and everything else that was loose, inside buildings so it wouldn't be blown around. The weirdest part was that the weather was realy nice while we were doing this (though we knew what was coming) so it was really weird to see Main Street USA in the middle of the day with no guests, just a dozen custodians. It was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

PirateJeffWDW

I was working research the same season Jeff was there. Spent Charlie at All Star Music. Went from a Cat 2 to a Cat 4 while i was checking in. Spent the morning at MK after being told i didnt need to work and ran around with a video camera. Rode everything. Two observations there. Cindy's Royal Table was still booked to death (everyone seemed to have showed up) and Peter Pan's Flight still had an hour long line.

Spent Hurricane Jean at wildy lodge. Was a lot of fun.

Somewhere posted on WDWMAGIC is a Video from hurricane charlie.... good luck finding such a thing.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I was in Orlando during Charley in August of 2004 (or was 2003?). We were staying offsite in a relatively new rental home that held up fine. The next day we were amazed by the damage along 192 as we drove to the MK. But MK was up and running on time, and everything was open except the train, which was closed until mid-afternoon while they cleared some downed tree limbs.

I was told about 30% of cast members hadn't made it into work, and people were working at unfamiliar posts. But the changes they made to deal with the shortage in staff members were not a problem at all. Fastpass was not operational at all, but since guest levels were way down, this was irrelevant. Counter service restaurants generally had only half of the widows open, but again, with reduced guest levels, no problem.

Disney handled it well, and I wouldn't hestitate to go during hurricaine season. In fact, I've done it every year since.

imamouse

Our family (me, hubby & 2 sons) were at WDW during Hurricane Floyd in Sept 1999. We were on the 3rd fl of ASMu, so we were fine. They evaculated the ground floor to the convention center at CS, but did not let those guests leave until 11AM the next day (no real damage at WDW - just lots of wind).

The parks closed early the day before, and only DAK opened (at noon) the next day. We had just been at DAK the day before, so we tried to go to Sea World. Bad idea! Everyone else in Orlando had the same idea. After paying to park, we turned around and went back to WDW and waited for noon to go to DAK. There wasn't much in the way of food available (hardly any of the carts were open), but there weren't many guests either so we had a good time.

Although we had been the day before, we didn't see many animals, but saw tons the next day. We asked a CM about this who told us that had flown a lot of the birds out of the area the day before, but they were back when we went the next day.

It was the only time I recalled (up to that point) that MK, EC and MGM were all closed. It was a little bit creepy, especially the night before - waiting for Floyd to arrive. We met some folks from Germany who were scheduled to fly out the next day, but their flight was cancelled. There weren't too upset about having to extend their stay at WDW. Since it was Sept (slow time), there were able to stay in their same room.

Thessair

I was there during Wilma as well. I left the MNSSHP early the night before because the rains were coming in. By 1pm the next day both the MK and Epcot were open and at least the MK was utterly deserted. I stayed on Big Thunder for the entire duration of Wishes since there was no one in line and it was quite a way to experience it. The weather was also amazingly cool for the next few days and I guess a number of guests vacated early because the MNSSHP the following night was also nearly empty. That trip was one of my all time favorite visits to the parks. It was very cool (temp wise) and it felt like I had everything to myself. I've never had to wait less. :D

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

PirateJeffWDW

Ditto - I was there for Charley & Frances (On my CP) and it really wasn't that bad.

MattyFresh

Was there for hurricane ????, I can't remember the name. We were staying in DL, slept through it as it made landfall that night, never heard a thing. Woke up the next morning and shingles and tree limbs were everywhere, and the parks were operating as normal. We caught the bus to the MK and you could see yellow mickey ponchos everywhere. We decided it wasn't the best idea to fight the rain and crouds, so we saved that day for a later trip.

Boray

We were there for hurricane Wilma in 2005 as well and really had a great vacation. We went to MGM the day before it hit. The place was packed and really warm. We left about 6:00 and waited for the storm. It didn't feel any worse than the spring storms we get here in Wisconsin. We got up and I made a big breakfast (we stayed in a 3 bedroom time share off-site) and we watched movies all morning as the storm passed. By 1:00, the storm was gone and the skies were clear and sunny (really wierd, actually...) We went to Downtown Disney to go shopping around 4:00 - apparantly so did everyone else (because the parks were closed, and only MK and Epcot opened late that day). The place was packed (that's why there weren't any lines in the parks, everyone was at DTD!!!) so we didn't stay long. It was a very memorable vacation and I wouldn't hesitate to go during a hurricane. It ususally goes by pretty fast. There were some roads closed the next day, in order to clear downed trees, but everyone down there seems so used to it, they know what to do and do it in a very quick manner.

Hrudey3032

Original Poster
I stayed at a hotel on 192(Hotel is there but empty as it was a comfort Inn but the bar out front is still there.It was across the street from the Ponderosa and next to that Gift shop that ran the Lion King picture on the screen constantly!) We were in our hotel room watching tv and all the coverage of the Hurricane.I remember looking out the window and you couldnt even see the railing of the fence on the 2nd floor.I live in Indiana and we see Tornadic activity constantly and too see the rain the way it came down was sureal as I hadn't seen anything like that before.Speaking of weird I have a pic from the parking lot of my work at Finish Line's Corporate Offices here in Indpls that has a lightning bolt striking the ground in our employee parking lot.Our security cameras caught it and it was spooky :eek: !!

amandagibbins

we were there for sept 04 and we had a hurricane coming from the uk it was facinating and i mean that in a good way if you know what i mean we dont see that kind of weather over here it was scary at the same time we were at universal on the day it was due to hit so we had to go home early and then lost the next day we were staying on i drive in a room with a huge glass door above my mother in laws bed she was petrified all night because we had recived a letter saying if the glass blows hide in the bathroom.Even tracking it on the tv was cool i love american tv ours is boring in comparison but the power went:( but it was fun when the power came back on our blocks power would come on and as everybody was on the balconys we would cheer then it would go off again then the other block would go on and they would cheer and so on this went on for about 20 or so minutes it cheered us all up:wave:

MickeyFan77

We were there in 04 for Jeanne and it wasn't too bad except I felt some lack of communication from Disney. LIke when the food court reopened they failed to tell anyone b/c they didn't want people out, well then why reopen it. The next day was beautiful though with a nice breeze and slow at parks. What I didn't like about flying in was seeing all the houses with tarps on them, I felt really bad.

vardy

We spent the good part of one day in line to get food at the CBR food court in 99 during hurricane floyd. It was not the best disney experience we have ever had. Stood in line for hours, only to get cold meat sandwichs. I went to the gift shop thinking I could get some kind of snacks. The only thing was every one else had the same idea. I ended up with some shortbread cookies and a box of mickey mouse maccaroni and cheese, uncooked mind you. It was about the only thing left.

Rabflmom

We were there in 2005 for Hurricane Wilma (I think it was that one). They announced that the parks were going to be closed the following day and that the hotels would have activities planned for guests. We were switching hotels that day, from ASM to Boardwalk, so actually it was kind of nice to have a more leisurely day. The in hotel programming on TV was really nice, because they showed Disney movies all day (this is a feature that I wish they had during normal weather). The hurricane began moving in the night before and there was torrential rain and wind, but by the middle of the next day, they announced that Epcot and MGM (or DHS now) would be reopening for a couple of hours.

All in all, not so bad. Not really afraid to go back during Hurricane Season. Actually, we'll be down in 23 days!!!!!

But you have to remember that Wilma actually did not come anywhere near Orlando and it was just a storm by the time it got this far North and into the center of the state. It came in way down South closer to Palm Beach County.

Rabflmom

We were there in 2005 for Hurricane Wilma (I think it was that one)>>>>>>>

Hurricane Floyd was definitely a scare that got us East Coast Floridians on the move to the center of or out of the state. It stayed out in the ocean though and was basically a heavy rain storm in Orlando area. That was the first time Disney Parks ever closed for a threatening storm
In 1995 when Hurricane Erin hit in South Brevard County they closed the parks 2 hours before it made landfall just North of Vero Beach. We were there and had no warning the storm was approaching till after 6PM . My husband thought Disney would announce for Day visitors to go to a shelter somewhere on property so lied to us about our area( they evacuated beachside by noon and closed everything on mainland). My kids and I were the only car headed east on 192 and got hoime just an hour before rin hit our house.

csm7030

We were at All Star Music for Wilma in 2005. I think that was the one. Anyway, we used to live in the Florida Keys and were there for George, but we had since moved to Virginia and were there as tourists. The storm was not too bad, but since they closed everything our food was limited to a cold pizza and some snacks. We basically had to sit in the room and watch Disney movies all day and night.

Rabflmom

We spent the good part of one day in line to get food at the CBR food court in 99 during hurricane floyd.>>>>>>>>

We were in a hotel west of disney property for that one. The hardest thing was finding food the night we evacuated from here. None of the restaurants along 192 were open after 5pm. We had brought our hurricane supplies from home so had cold can food to eat the next day during the heavier rains and wind. Not sure what the tourists did for food except for the fact that the hotel had a small store with snacks and there was a restaurant, but it wasn't opened most of the time. So if you are there when a hurricane is approaching you might want to stock up with a few things to eat till stores and restaurants reopen Also not wise to drink tap water if a stornm actually has hit-drink bottled water.

lspicknall

In October 2005, we made our first trip in several years and had taken the auto train. We were scheduled to leave on Saturday and Wilma was scheduled to hit on Sunday. We had thought our timing was working out well, and checked out and drove to Sanford to catch the train. Unfortunately, Amtrak only leases the rail lines from CSX, and CSX had decided to shutdown all trains in and out of Florida as of the Thursday before so they could remove signage to avoid damage. Amtrak offered a refund, but I had paid in cash and they did not have sufficient cash in Sanford to reimburse, we would need to stop in Jacksonville to receive a refund. Additionally, since we were taking the auto train and did not really need to worry about driving (or sitting) for more than an hour or so on each side of the train trip, we had gone a little overboard on things and there was barely room for everyone and everything in the car (as the driver, I was the only one without a lap full of stuff). Since driving home was out of the question, we headed back to Disney and were able to get a room at OKW. Saturday we went out and got some food and supplies, bought a Disney monopoly game and played that all day Sunday. Monday afternoon the parks opened again for guests and we caught the train out on Tuesday. So our vacation was extended by three days. The only negative is I think I paid half as much for those three days at OKW as I did for two weeks in a cabin at FW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom