Even been on Horizons at Epcot?

dreamersempire

Original Poster
Horizons actually means alot to me. When I was a kid, Horizons was the ride that my mother and I had to make. It was our ride. We used to go to Disney World frequently and the entire build up for the trips were always based around riding Horizons. My mom is really sick now so we do reminisce alot about when I was a kid and Horizons is usually brought up. The ride has such fond memories for me. I've collected some really rare Horizons memorabillia over the years which is adorning my office. I can post some pictures if anyone would like to see. I also work overseas in Nigeria and I tell you, its kind of cool to be out on an oil production jacket by myself in the Atlantic Ocean and after I finish my work and I'm waiting for the helicopter to pick me up, I just lay back, put on the Ipod and listen to the Horizons score while the ocean breeze is blowing. It sounds crazy I know but its so peaceful and relaxing, and it gives me a chance to reminisce about the good old days.

Hey thanks that was quite nice to hear. Sounds like you have a neat career. My first time to Disney was 1986 and the ride that by far blew me away was Horizons. Almost the entire time we were there it rained. Sometimes when its warm out here in Minnesota and rains I think about that trip. As I've said elsewhere I had to get my brother down there and the next year we went. I problaby didn't think it through but that was the first ride I dragged him on, he was as floored as I was.

I've actually been listening to a whole cd of Horizons music in my car for months now. But your scenario sounds much more fun.

TheBeatles

Horizons actually means alot to me. When I was a kid, Horizons was the ride that my mother and I had to make. It was our ride. We used to go to Disney World frequently and the entire build up for the trips were always based around riding Horizons. My mom is really sick now so we do reminisce alot about when I was a kid and Horizons is usually brought up. The ride has such fond memories for me. I've collected some really rare Horizons memorabillia over the years which is adorning my office. I can post some pictures if anyone would like to see. I also work overseas in Nigeria and I tell you, its kind of cool to be out on an oil production jacket by myself in the Atlantic Ocean and after I finish my work and I'm waiting for the helicopter to pick me up, I just lay back, put on the Ipod and listen to the Horizons score while the ocean breeze is blowing. It sounds crazy I know but its so peaceful and relaxing, and it gives me a chance to reminisce about the good old days.

i would love to see pics!

i sit on my roof sometimes and listen to Horizons and just stare into the sky.

such a perfect attraction.

Mr.EPCOT

They can and they are trying...Just look at SSE 08 v.1;)...Or Horizons 3.0 as it's known on here.LOL:lol:QUOTE]

ONCE AGAIN, there's no way you can even compare the new Spaceship Earth and Horizons. All the descent does now is pander to the short attention span and egos of Disney's coveted demographics. Horizons had true artistry and emotional value to it. Most important to note in distinguishing the two, Spaceship Earth now does not deposit you back into EPCOT with any sense of optimism or inspiration, just the amusement of just having seen your face in a cartoon of which you probably weren't really listening to anyways.

Hopefully, you were being sarcastic.

EPCOT Explorer

EPCOT Explorer said:
They can and they are trying...Just look at SSE 08 v.1;)...Or Horizons 3.0 as it's known on here.LOL:lol:
ONCE AGAIN, there's no way you can even compare the new Spaceship Earth and Horizons. All the descent does now is pander to the short attention span and egos of Disney's coveted demographics. Horizons had true artistry and emotional value to it. Most important to note in distinguishing the two, Spaceship Earth now does not deposit you back into EPCOT with any sense of optimism or inspiration, just the amusement of just having seen your face in a cartoon of which you probably weren't really listening to anyways.

Hopefully, you were being sarcastic.

YES.

I just meant it in concept.

Yeah, SSE has it's problems but they are being fixed.If SSE ended with the same feeling the accent and the 180-Top gives you it would be on par with SSE 94 and 86.But that's gonna be fixed.;)

And if I DID compare Horizons to SSE 08 would it be such a bad thing?

Epcotbob

YES.

Yeah, SSE has it's problems but they are being fixed.If SSE ended with the same feeling the accent and the 180-Top gives you it would be on par with SSE 94 and 86.But that's gonna be fixed.;)

I think the new SSE is a step in the right direction. I think at one point they were talking about changing it into a roller coaster type thrill attraction, so personally I'm glad they didn't do that.

They do a great job of exploring the past, going through the birth of the computer age....but then it sort of fizzles out there. I really do hope they fix the end sequence.

EPCOT Explorer

I think the new SSE is a step in the right direction. I think at one point they were talking about changing it into a roller coaster type thrill attraction, so personally I'm glad they didn't do that.

They go a great job of exploring the past, going through the birth of the computer age....but then it sort of fizzles out there. I really do hope they fix the end sequence.
Same here...It was really scorned upon for no reason.Yeah, but decent it "teh suk" but it's OBVIOUS that it's not done.

And SSE as a Rollercoaster?Time Racers?WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???:eek:

Mr.EPCOT

YES.

Good, just making sure. Hopefully, it is still a work in progress, like some have said. But I'm not sure I would compare ANY version of Spaceship Earth to Horizons. For Spaceship Earth to measure up, I would have to see some perfect fusion of all four versions with new elements. I'm not being down on Spaceship Earth, it was my favorite attraction at Walt Disney World until it reopened, but Horizons is my all-time favorite, and has quite a standard to live up to.

They go a great job of exploring the past, going through the birth of the computer age....but then it sort of fizzles out there. I really do hope they fix the end sequence.

In most aspects, it is most certainly a step in the right direction. But you're absolutely right, it does completely fizzle out after the garage scene. I really think modern communications needs to be depicted better, both as a vital step in the history of innovation, and a tribute of sorts to the original (and some would say, true) topic of the pavilion.

While the Spaceship Earth: Time Racers roller coaster would be something of a crushing blow to the spirit, integrity, and intention of EPCOT, it would certainly have been fascinating to see what they would have done. Rumors were that time lapse was to be involved somehow, which I think is more than an appropriate effect for EPCOT.

EPCOT Explorer

Good, just making sure. Hopefully, it is still a work in progress, like some have said. But I'm not sure I would compare ANY version of Spaceship Earth to Horizons. For Spaceship Earth to measure up, I would have to see some perfect fusion of all four versions with new elements. I'm not being down on Spaceship Earth, it was my favorite attraction at Walt Disney World until it reopened, but Horizons is my all-time favorite, and has quite a standard to live up to.

In most aspects, it is most certainly a step in the right direction. But you're absolutely right, it does completely fizzle out after the garage scene. I really think modern communications needs to be depicted better, both as a vital step in the history of innovation, and a tribute of sorts to the original (and some would say, true) topic of the pavilion.

While the Spaceship Earth: Time Racers roller coaster would be something of a crushing blow to the spirit, integrity, and intention of EPCOT, it would certainly have been fascinating to see what they would have done. Rumors were that time lapse was to be involved somehow, which I think is more than an appropriate effect for EPCOT.

I still consider SSE to be my favorite even after the changes.I LOVED 94 like anything but '08 isn't bad.It just needs to be finished.

And fizzle out after the garage?What about the Matrix?and the 180 Top?LOVED those new scenes.

Horizons was amazing,yes-but I do like SSE's style of presentation better.A narrator, not a conversation.Grandma and Grandpa were a bit annoying.:lol:But amazingly fun and nostalgic too.

Mr.EPCOT

I still consider SSE to be my favorite even after the changes.I LOVED 94 like anything but '08 isn't bad.It just needs to be finished.

And fizzle out after the garage?What about the Matrix?and the 180 Top?LOVED those new scenes.

Horizons was amazing,yes-but I do like SSE's style of presentation better.A narrator, not a conversation.Grandma and Grandpa were a bit annoying.:lol:But amazingly fun and nostalgic too.

The biggest thing for me is that I used to want to just stay on the attraction two or three times around. Now I simply don't have that desire anymore.

The Matrix tunnel is just completely befuddling. First and foremost, it is a blatant rip-off of the movie, not just visually, but musically. Is The Matrix really something that should at all be associated with Spaceship Earth? While very thought-provoking, it's not quite the most optimistic of films. The Matrix code itself, which is being mimicked in this tunnel, is representative of an artificial reality in which humanity is being enslaved. They have to know that this will certainly conjure up that film for anyone who has seen it.

180 top is physically just about the same as it has always been, pretty hard to ruin that. The music isn't quite up to snuff as it was before. And Judi Dench's lead-in is totally uninspiring, although exceedingly better than day one back in December (or was it November?) So the previous two versions edge out (can't speak for the original).

And there is nothing good about the descent, besides going backwards, some of the music, and some of the graphics on the touchscreen (other than the stupid cartoon, of course) The blue dots are kind of neat, but there could be something much more fulfilling.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And fizzle out after the garage?What about the Matrix?and the 180 Top?LOVED those new scenes..
Huh? 180top is lacking compared to versions one and two (not that I need to direct anyone to a certain 41 page thread)

The new Earth projection system is a bit too bright; the floor, roof tiles and various items up there are a bit too visible now. There again it beats the 1986 version. The new starfield projection - great in concept, poor in execution. The `reset` sweep is just plain badshow, and the fact the projector can be seen and not masked is just lazy (it`s visible in its new position above the core). The matrix projection system looks great - so long as it is correctly aligned. Which seems hit and miss. It`s a shame they had to extend the tunnel with the overhead slats to prevent projection spill onto the ride vehicles.

I`m afraid SSE4 does fizzle out after the garage. The ascent is really THAT good. Well, fizzles out for now anyhow.

EPCOT Explorer

The biggest thing for me is that I used to want to just stay on the attraction two or three times around. Now I simply don't have that desire anymore.

The Matrix tunnel is just completely befuddling. First and foremost, it is a blatant rip-off of the movie, not just visually, but musically. Is The Matrix really something that should at all be associated with Spaceship Earth? While very thought-provoking, it's not quite the most optimistic of films. The Matrix code itself, which is being mimicked in this tunnel, is representative of an artificial reality in which humanity is being enslaved. They have to know that this will certainly conjure up that film for anyone who has seen it.

180 top is physically just about the same as it has always been, pretty hard to ruin that. The music isn't quite up to snuff as it was before. And Judi Dench's lead-in is totally uninspiring, although exceedingly better than day one back in December (or was it November?) So the previous two versions edge out (can't speak for the original).

And there is nothing good about the descent, besides going backwards, some of the music, and some of the graphics on the touchscreen (other than the stupid cartoon, of course) The blue dots are kind of neat, but there could be something much more fulfilling.

I never saw the Matrix so I can't comment on how the music/look is bad.As a person who has never seen the movie, I liked the look of it and LOVED the music.

Huh? 180top is lacking compared to versions one and two (not that I need to direct anyone to a certain 41 page thread)

The new Earth projection system is a bit too bright; the floor, roof tiles and various items up there are a bit too visible now. There again it beats the 1986 version. The new starfield projection - great in concept, poor in execution. The `reset` sweep is just plain badshow, and the fact the projector can be seen and not masked is just lazy (it`s visible in its new position above the core). The matrix projection system looks great - so long as it is correctly aligned. Which seems hit and miss. It`s a shame they had to extend the tunnel with the overhead slats to prevent projection spill onto the ride vehicles.

I`m afraid SSE4 does fizzle out after the garage. The ascent is really THAT good. Well, fizzles out for now anyhow.

I hate to disagree with you, Martin but I really didn't notice or dislike anything in the 180-Top.:eek: The only odd thing was that the Earth is/was egg shaped.Makes me wish they would put a REAL globe in there like the one in Proj. Tomorrow.That technology is cool.

Sorry!:eek:

Mr.EPCOT

I never saw the Matrix so I can't comment on how the music/look is bad.As a person who has never seen the movie, I liked the look of it and LOVED the music.

Yeah, it seems to be intentionally similar. I just think they need to both depict modern communication and electronic technology better, and provide a better transition into 180top. As awesome as the new 60s invention of the computer scene is, they probably shouldn't have taken up quite as much space with it. I don't think they really need the outside section of the garage to get the idea across that it's the invention of the P.C. in a garage.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, it seems to be intentionally similar. I just think they need to both depict modern communication and electronic technology better, and provide a better transition into 180top. As awesome as the new 60s invention of the computer scene is, they probably shouldn't have taken up quite as much space with it. I don't think they really need the outside section of the garage to get the idea across that it's the invention of the P.C. in a garage.

I'm sorry to keep butting heads with you:)o) but I LOOOVED the PC room.Garage too.If anything needs to be fixed it's the lenght and the effect in the Matrix Tunnel.(Along with the Descent-of course)

Mr.EPCOT

I'm sorry to keep butting heads with you:)o) but I LOOOVED the PC room.Garage too.If anything needs to be fixed it's the lenght and the effect in the Matrix Tunnel.(Along with the Descent-of course)

Don't get me wrong, I love the new computer room, too, but when you compare it to all of the other scenes, it's much larger. Or there's a lot more going on in the same amount of space, like the Renaissance. I also wonder if there isn't a bit of disruption in the cohesive flow of the attraction when you get to this one scene that completely envelops you on all sides, as opposed to the rest of the ride where for the most part you're attention is focused in one area. I think the garage scene is great, just once again, I think that could have gotten a little more bang for their buck as far as the space goes. When I heard about these scenes, I envisioned them as more along the lines of the 82/84 version, as an immediate progression from 60s era computers to the invention of the PC to modern day (which I could have sworn was supposed to be one of the new scenes, does anyone else remember that?).

EPCOT Explorer

Don't get me wrong, I love the new computer room, too, but when you compare it to all of the other scenes, it's much larger. Or there's a lot more going on in the same amount of space, like the Renaissance. I also wonder if there isn't a bit of disruption in the cohesive flow of the attraction when you get to this one scene that completely envelops you on all sides, as opposed to the rest of the ride where for the most part you're attention is focused in one area. I think the garage scene is great, just once again, I think that could have gotten a little more bang for their buck as far as the space goes. When I heard about these scenes, I envisioned them as more along the lines of the 82/84 version, as an immediate progression from 60s era computers to the invention of the PC to modern day (which I could have sworn was supposed to be one of the new scenes, does anyone else remember that?).
I kinda got that disjointed feeling too...Now that you mention it.

And YEAH that scene was supposed to be there.I guess it got cut.:cry:

Mr.EPCOT

I kinda got that disjointed feeling too...Now that you mention it.

Now it'd be awesome if the entire attraction was in that consistent visual style of narration. Imagine, for example, if you were fully surrounded by the cave above and around you in the caveman scene.

And YEAH that scene was supposed to be there.I guess it got cut.:cry:

Good, I'm glad I wasn't imagining that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom