Even been on Horizons at Epcot?

dreamersempire

Original Poster
Have you even been on Horizons at Epcot? It opened in 1983 and closed in 1999 and was replaced by Mission Space. If you haven't been on the ride you should check out some of the videos out there on it, theres plenty.

Horizons captured "Wonderment" a word I'm sure most Disney addicts can understand. Horizons was similar to Spaceship Earth but imho it captured a sense of the future that no other ride has since. It was not a thrill ride but many of us found it absolutely thrilling as it transported you from the past view of the future to what then was an extremely progressive view of the future.

There were probably four themes of the future that were captured best, the city, farm land and the desert, the sea and space. But there were moments with WOW factors like you couldn't believe. It was similar to Soarin at these parts, only more of a surprise, you sure weren't expecting it when you came into the first omni-max room and found yourself flying over NYC or through a "Micro processor chip". Who could forget that?

Horizons embodied best what I believe Walt envisioned for Epcot, a city more than an amusement park, that would help pave the way for the type of future we once dreamed of seeing. It seems we've lost even just a vision for the future, I just don't see anything that captures that same sense of vision that you saw in Horizons, or Futurama II at the 1964 Worlds Fair.

My desire has been to help recapture that vision, and I have a few ideas that I think might contribute to that. Do you share that feeling and what ideas would you be willing to share?

I think just a few people remember Horizons fondly here....just a few though. :)

Yes Horizons was incredible and I miss it, as most people do.

magicman1950

I guess there are some advantages to be "older than dirt" - I certainly remember Horizons and EPCOT when it was in its early glory. I certainly enjoyed Horizons but my favorite was World of Motion - loved al the AAs. IMHO, WoM was much more worth the wait than Test Track!
Paul

dreamersempire

Original Poster
Its just great to talk to other Horizons fans. Someday I'd like to delve into Walts plans for Epcot more here, if those plans were realized that would have made Horizons look like the carrousel at the front gate.

dreamersempire

Original Poster
I guess there are some advantages to be "older than dirt" - I certainly remember Horizons and EPCOT when it was in its early glory. I certainly enjoyed Horizons but my favorite was World of Motion - loved al the AAs. IMHO, WoM was much more worth the wait than Test Track!
Paul

Oh yeah, those two rides went hand in hand. I loved that final view of the city in WOM, incredible!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
As much as I hate to say it, Horizons is my favorite WDW attraction of all time (sorry Figgie!). It still gives me chills to listen to the audio or when watching ride videos online. It's sorely missed and will continue to be missed as long as Epcot is open.

nolatron

I remember the last time I rode it. I was in Disney for my high school's performance in the daytime parades for Disney Magic Music Days in 1998.

The night we were at EPCOT, Horizons had no line, and I mean no line. It was completely dead. We were able to get off and right back on so we could do all the different ending selections :)

magicman1950

I always got excited when the ride vehicle went back into the building and started up the incline with the footprints on the wall - then the caveman (sorry Geico) blowing his feet to cool them off. But, sorry, I didn't mean to steer this thread away from Horizons!
Paul

Epcotbob

How could I ever forget Horizons, Epcot in it's glory...

I miss those immersive experiences :(

Great way to put it, Epcot in it's Glory!

I think what was so great about it was that when you walked off Horizon's you weren't so much enamored with the ride itself, but rather you felt inspired about the future!

Something a thrill or amusement ride can't accomplish.

I would love to mee more immersive experiences like that!

Kamikaze

Its just great to talk to other Horizons fans. Someday I'd like to delve into Walts plans for Epcot more here, if those plans were realized that would have made Horizons look like the carrousel at the front gate.

If those plans had gone through, you'd never know what Horizons was.

Further, you more than likely wouldn't even have a WDW or TWDC anymore, because Walt would have spent every single cent trying to build E.P.C.O.T. (The city, not the theme park).

Horizonstta

As much as I hate to say it, Horizons is my favorite WDW attraction of all time (sorry Figgie!). It still gives me chills to listen to the audio or when watching ride videos online. It's sorely missed and will continue to be missed as long as Epcot is open.

I couldn't have said it better.

Mrs.Toad

Thanks for posting this thread! I loved Horizons and put it in my sig. I forgot about the button options too. There are great home movies on youtube regarding Horizons and other attractions that have been removed. I was also wondering what they do with former attractions. Are they in storage or are they dismantled and thrown away?

Expo_Seeker40

Horizons class of 1996! :sohappy:

Almost didn't go in it because I thought it was an office building :lookaroun

Besides SSE, the Universe of Energy to me embodies a classic world's fair attraction with or without Ellen and Bill Nye due to the large theater and format screens.

Horizons was a beautiful ride, simply stunning, except the sweatshirt moms and walkman playing teenagers found the ride boring and GE pulled out in 1994 and then a sinkhole somehow opened up and the rest is history :drevil:

***you can still smell the same oranges on Soarin'! :)

KaliSplash

I remember EPCOT Center BEFORE there was Horizons. When Horizons was the new attraction. And it was wonderful. I loved it.

I like Mission:Space a lot. I like Test Track a lot. But I sure wish each of them had been additions, not replacements.

(And yes, I know the reality of what happened to both these historic attractions, but I surely do miss them.)

Horizonsfan

I'm proud (and at the same time a little ashamed) to say that I rode Horizons for the first time in 1998. I hardly knew anything about it but, once I rode it I couldn't get enough. I'm sure my multiple rides the rest of the day bored my family to tears.

I miss it and hope dearly that maybe someday Epcot will build a 21st century version of it in between The Land and TLS.

<<comes back into reality>>

Epcot just isn't the same without it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom