Even been on Horizons at Epcot?

hpyhnt 1000

I know I'm jumping in kind of late here, but am I the only one that thought SSE '94 did a better job with the "present" scenes than this version? Let me lay out my logic:

In this version of SSE, we move through the 20th century and see new forms of communication and the future, from the telegraph to the movies to landing on the moon. Then, we move to the idea of computers, and how they were very large. We'll say this is right around early 70's. We then see the garage scene where the home PC is being built, which puts us late 70's, maybe even early 80's. Now, this area of SSE is supposed to be the "present" time. Why is the last scene of the "present" one from the 80's?

If anything, SSE '94, which was regarded as "outated", did a better job of representing the present (hm...maybe because it was outdated. :lol:). But the scene of the boy and girl talking via the internet on a computer like screen is much more in line with today then the creation of the first comuters. Also, the idea of "billions of interactions carying news and information" relates exactly with today's world! Today, we have computers, along with cell phones, satellites, personal video and digital cameras, all things that have come about after the birth of the computer. Showing someone creating the computer isn't today, its yesterday, and it should not be the last thing we see before the 180 top.

I'm not saying that the garage scene shouldn't be there, but it certainly shouldn't be the last thing you see. To quote Dame Judi, "...and once again, we stand on the brink of a new Renaissance." No, we're not on the brink of a new Renaissance, we are in the midst of that new Renaissance. It isn't coming, its here! Take a look around. Everywhere we look, new ideas and technologies abound. Those ideas should, and need, to be represented in SSE.

Oh, and in regards to the matrix tunnel, I really don't like it. It bleeds through to the starfield (which has its own problems), and doesn't extend down all the way on the right side. And the earth is really too bright. The abandoned set space can very easily be seen in the 180 top.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this thread is (or should be) about Horizons? :lookaroun Just wanted to say its great to read everyones memories. Makes me wish I had been able to ride it.

Horizonsfan

The "matrix" tunnel and descent are not up to snuff. I'd think anyone who has seen the Matrix movie(s) gets to that point in SSE and just sort of rolls their eyes. They could have done the same thing to the communications tunnel that they did in '94 and just overlaid the existing tunnel with new effects. Also don't forget that there is now a few seconds of pure darkness before you can even see the 180 top.

When WDI touched the descent they should of looked at a mix between the three previous descents with depictions of modern-day technology through out the first-third of the descent, future-tech through out the second-third, and a emotional depiction of tomorrow (with intense music:animwink:) for the final portion. To me, that would provide the most cohesive storyline and the best possible way to "roll" into Project Tomorrow.

The only way that I see the current 2008 version being like Horizons is that the ending is chosen by the rider. Of course, SSE's is more convoluted and depicts the future in a far less dramatic, slightly kitschy way; IMO of course.

EPCOT Explorer

Now it'd be awesome if the entire attraction was in that consistent visual style of narration. Imagine, for example, if you were fully surrounded by the cave above and around you in the caveman scene.

Good, I'm glad I wasn't imagining that.

Version 5 maybe?:) But one wonders if they have the room?:shrug:

Yeah...I could start a whole new thread about it....:lookaroun

(but I won't)

:lol:
Go for it...PML perhaps?
I know I'm jumping in kind of late here, but am I the only one that thought SSE '94 did a better job with the "present" scenes than this version? Let me lay out my logic:

In this version of SSE, we move through the 20th century and see new forms of communication and the future, from the telegraph to the movies to landing on the moon. Then, we move to the idea of computers, and how they were very large. We'll say this is right around early 70's. We then see the garage scene where the home PC is being built, which puts us late 70's, maybe even early 80's. Now, this area of SSE is supposed to be the "present" time. Why is the last scene of the "present" one from the 80's?

If anything, SSE '94, which was regarded as "outated", did a better job of representing the present (hm...maybe because it was outdated. :lol:). But the scene of the boy and girl talking via the internet on a computer like screen is much more in line with today then the creation of the first comuters. Also, the idea of "billions of interactions carying news and information" relates exactly with today's world! Today, we have computers, along with cell phones, satellites, personal video and digital cameras, all things that have come about after the birth of the computer. Showing someone creating the computer isn't today, its yesterday, and it should not be the last thing we see before the 180 top.

I'm not saying that the garage scene shouldn't be there, but it certainly shouldn't be the last thing you see. To quote Dame Judi, "...and once again, we stand on the brink of a new Renaissance." No, we're not on the brink of a new Renaissance, we are in the midst of that new Renaissance. It isn't coming, its here! Take a look around. Everywhere we look, new ideas and technologies abound. Those ideas should, and need, to be represented in SSE.

Oh, and in regards to the matrix tunnel, I really don't like it. It bleeds through to the starfield (which has its own problems), and doesn't extend down all the way on the right side. And the earth is really too bright. The abandoned set space can very easily be seen in the 180 top.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this thread is (or should be) about Horizons? :lookaroun Just wanted to say its great to read everyones memories. Makes me wish I had been able to ride it.

That's a very interesting point you bring up-and you are right.the only thing I *think* I could say to the whole Rennisance is that this is just the begining of it.We've Just Begun to Dream so to speak...;)

The "matrix" tunnel and descent are not up to snuff. I'd think anyone who has seen the Matrix movie(s) gets to that point in SSE and just sort of rolls their eyes. They could have done the same thing to the communications tunnel that they did in '94 and just overlaid the existing tunnel with new effects. Also don't forget that there is now a few seconds of pure darkness before you can even see the 180 top.

When WDI touched the descent they should of looked at a mix between the three previous descents with depictions of modern-day technology through out the first-third of the descent, future-tech through out the second-third, and a emotional depiction of tomorrow (with intense music:animwink:) for the final portion. To me, that would provide the most cohesive storyline and the best possible way to "roll" into Project Tomorrow.

The only way that I see the current 2008 version being like Horizons is that the ending is chosen by the rider. Of course, SSE's is more convoluted and depicts the future in a far less dramatic, slightly kitschy way; IMO of course.
We had that.In SSE 94:cry:

hpyhnt 1000

*sigh* :eek:

That's a very interesting point you bring up-and you are right.the only thing I *think* I could say to the whole Rennisance is that this is just the begining of it.We've Just Begun to Dream so to speak...;)

True. :) Either way, the point I was trying to make is that, as it stands now, the narration and scenes near the garage and matrix tunnel are perhaps a bit outdated and behind the times.

EPCOTCenterLover

Been on Horizons many times. In fact, made a trip to the World based upon its opening date. Great attraction- very immersive in every respect. We used to ride it multiple times every visit- that and the original Imagination.

Horizonsfan

All of '94s descent used to be futuristic but by the time it closed it was everyday. Really fascinating when you think about it.

In a dream world we would see a mix of the '94 and '86 descents. :)

There's just something overall that the current version lacks, emotion. :(

EPCOT Explorer

All of '94s descent used to be futuristic but by the time it closed it was everyday. Really fascinating when you think about it.

In a dream world we would see a mix of the '94 and '86 descents. :)

There's just something overall that the current version lacks, emotion. :(

In the listeners?Or in the Narr.?

I actually thought that the Narr, was very emotional and personal.It's less textbook-ish and more like she is speaking to you.While it's not as grand and ,miraculous as the Irons or Cronkite,I still like it.

EDIT:Why do all Retro EPCOT thread somehow lead to SSE'08?:lol:

EPCOT.nut

In the listeners?Or in the Narr.?

I actually thought that the Narr, was very emotional and personal.It's less textbook-ish and more like she is speaking to you.While it's not as grand and ,miraculous as the Irons or Cronkite,I still like it.

She has a warm voice but I was hoping for an American accent. No offense to British folks. :eek:

EPCOT.nut

OOOHH...Just googled him.Not bad!Kinda James Earl Jones-ish.

I like.:)

He was so awesome in Spencer for Hire. I love the sound of Avery Brooks' voice. I think it is a girl-thing, though. :lookaroun

Yeah, you posted an interest in James Earl Jones in my SSE Auditions thread last year! :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

He was so awesome in Spencer for Hire. I love the sound of Avery Brooks' voice. I think it is a girl-thing, though. :lookaroun

Yeah, you posted an interest in James Earl Jones in my SSE Auditions thread last year! :lol:

That's funny that you remember that!Love his voice.He was great as Vader and Mufassa.(Irons was Scar-how ironic!)

Where is that thread?I love digging up old stuff to read!

EPCOT.nut

that's funny that you remember that!love his voice.he was great as vader and mufassa.(irons was scar-how ironic!)

where is that thread?i love digging up old stuff to read!
the funniest response from that thread:

John madden. "...and there were cavemen.... See this guy right here, he's saying "oombaday" or something, and he's got a big ol' animal pelt on his head... Then *boom*, we've got egyptians... Look at this guy, what's he doing? Pounding parchment? Is that what he's doing? Who's that big bald guy over there... He looks like marc colombo from the cowboys with eyeliner... That's a big guy, he can move some defensive lineman, but that fan might be illegal on the field..."
:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom