News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Vinnie Mac

IP always serves an actual purpose in telling the story. Every show has a "story." Everyone is acting like the "Epcot-lens" makes IP no longer just IP. It doesn't. It just makes Epcot that much closer to every other theme park. And the presence of IP-music in this show makes the show more similar to HEA than RoE—that's just a fact. Maybe it will be a good show, but it's not the kind of show I'd like to see in Epcot.
Yes but what makes a good show is HOW that IP is used to tell a story. HEA, Fantasmic, Wishes, and World of Color are all classic shows and they all use IP but it's the WAY they use IP that makes them special. I'm not saying this show is going to be the next Illuminations I don't think Disney can easily produce a 20 year show like that (ROE was truly a once in a lifetime type of thing especially given the reason for its creation) but I definitely think this show will at least be something meaningful to Epcot.

TTA94

I’m guessing the fountains in this show are reused from Harmonious or the same type but wishful thinking the fountain lighting will be better and more like WoC. The fountain colors in Harmonious seemed dull and not very vibrant, but it could have just been how they were used on those huge barges. The fountain lighting for the RoL lotus seemed better than Harmonious.

thomas998

Is throwing in a bunch of colored spot lights and removing fireworks supposed to save money or what. These are the weakest fireworks I've seen in a long time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is throwing in a bunch of colored spot lights and removing fireworks supposed to save money or what. These are the weakest fireworks I've seen in a long time.
Uhh.. wha?

The runtime of 'Luminous' is around 16 minutes based on last night's test, which puts it slightly shorter than the 20-minute runtime of 'Harmonious 'but longer than the 12-minute-long 'EPCOT Forever,' which 'Luminous' replaces.
Unlike 'Harmonious,' 'Luminous' will not use any video displays and returns to the successful formula of IllumiNations, with fireworks, lighting, and fountains. Although it is difficult to gauge the quantity of fireworks in use, from this test, 'Luminous' appears to have more pyro than either 'EPCOT Forever' or 'Harmonious.' The test also confirmed the continued use of the lagoon seawall perimeter launches, which were fired numerous times at the show's beginning and finale.

gerarar

Premium Member
Uhh.. wha?

The runtime of 'Luminous' is around 16 minutes based on last night's test, which puts it slightly shorter than the 20-minute runtime of 'Harmonious 'but longer than the 12-minute-long 'EPCOT Forever,' which 'Luminous' replaces.
Unlike 'Harmonious,' 'Luminous' will not use any video displays and returns to the successful formula of IllumiNations, with fireworks, lighting, and fountains. Although it is difficult to gauge the quantity of fireworks in use, from this test, 'Luminous' appears to have more pyro than either 'EPCOT Forever' or 'Harmonious.' The test also confirmed the continued use of the lagoon seawall perimeter launches, which were fired numerous times at the show's beginning and finale.

Don't you know? Happily Ever After also has less pyro and shells than Wishes!!

;)

Epcot82Guy

The quantity, while important, hasn't always been the biggest metric for me. It's how they use them and the variation. One of the best things about World Showcase is the variety of pyro that can be used. MK, for example, can do the very cool castle sprays and vertical launches. (Though that does kind of require a front-on view.)

Epcot can allow for a lot of low-level pyro, shore launches, etc. I also have found the Epcot shows often have a bit more sophisticated "artistic" uses of the pyro (like the really cool high shells during the climax of I:ROE or the points of light at the I:ROE finale, the purple crackles during One Little Spark for EF, etc.) To draw from a theater analogy, World Showcase Lagoon is a more "intimate" theater in the round. MK and Fantasmic are a bit more traditional proscenium set ups.

That means they can do different things. And, I hope they use that to their advantage to make Luminous unique. Again - the idea, setting and pyro we've seen all have solid potential. If this doesn't hit at the heartstrings, then deep concern about current creative leadership/company leadership is very valid IMHO. Luminous being the JIIwF of nighttime shows would be a travesty...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Yeah I disagree with the idea that this show is "stuffed" with IP. Harmonious was stuffed you could easily argue that. The IP inclusion seems carefully thought about in this one though. They serve an actual purpose in telling the story
This kind of IP inclusion doesn’t really bother me, it’s got the sound and the style music that’s all I care about. Harmonious would have been good if it was played in the Fountian of Nations stage or the showcase plaza as a separate show with fountains and lighting all but the fireworks and the music performed live.

ToTBellHop

1699370592306.jpeg

Vinnie Mac

The quantity, while important, hasn't always been the biggest metric for me. It's how they use them and the variation. One of the best things about World Showcase is the variety of pyro that can be used. MK, for example, can do the very cool castle sprays and vertical launches. (Though that does kind of require a front-on view.)

Epcot can allow for a lot of low-level pyro, shore launches, etc. I also have found the Epcot shows often have a bit more sophisticated "artistic" uses of the pyro (like the really cool high shells during the climax of I:ROE or the points of light at the I:ROE finale, the purple crackles during One Little Spark for EF, etc.) To draw from a theater analogy, World Showcase Lagoon is a more "intimate" theater in the round. MK and Fantasmic are a bit more traditional proscenium set ups.

That means they can do different things. And, I hope they use that to their advantage to make Luminous unique. Again - the idea, setting and pyro we've seen all have solid potential. If this doesn't hit at the heartstrings, then deep concern about current creative leadership/company leadership is very valid IMHO. Luminous being the JIIwF of nighttime shows would be a travesty...
There is a part of the show where
hearts are shot out towards the crowd

I think the pyro seems pretty unique from what can gather personally and I see exactly what you mean. I'm excited

Vinnie Mac

How touching...? They use the
heart fireworks
in every fireworks show now, don't they? Not sure how this is supposed to be unique.
No I meant the pyro is literally
launched over the water in the direction of the crowd in the formation of a heart

It's in the original concept art to get a better idea of what I mean

gerarar

Premium Member
Are you sure about that? I once heard that HEA has more pyro
That is likely the case, I believe that was a tongue in cheek jab at those who allege every replacement show has fewer fireworks that it’s predecessor even when it’s objectively not true.
When HEA was revealed...and then even once after-hours testing happened at the MK and videos were posted, it was still being repeated and claimed that pyro and shells were less in numbers compared to Wishes.

I wasn't on the boards yet, but reading back on the Wishes -> HEA thread had a lot of that lol.

TheMaxRebo

Harmonious didn't make it because of the horrible lagoon views due to the hardware and because the viewing angles were subpar for much of the audience. Which is why they had to build and dispatch new hardware.

The reaction to the content of Harmonious was more mixed and it would likely still be ongoing if it weren't more the bigger issues due to the hardware.

And specially the views from the dining locations that had outside seating, the private party areas, and the fireworks cruise locations

The show was angled to be viewed best from the rooftop of the festival center building that never got built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom