News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

trainplane3

And specially the views from the dining locations that had outside seating, the private party areas, and the fireworks cruise locations

The show was angled to be viewed best from the rooftop of the festival center building that never got built.
Reliable users here have stated that wasn't the case for not being centered. They were cheap and didn't relocate the center dock.

TheMaxRebo

Reliable users here have stated that wasn't the case for not being centered. They were cheap and didn't relocate the center dock.

But the Stargate clearly faced that way (vs being easy to Wets or whatever) - there would have been a good view from there which not coincidentally would have brought in $ from corporate rentals, etc

James Alucobond

What Dock are we talking about? The one used for ROE? EF? Luminous looks more centered from what I read on here. Did Epcot move the existing Dock recently?
The original dock was reused for Harmonious and now again for Luminous. Harmonious’ hardware was off-center because the dock was built to accommodate a much smaller centerpiece. The hardware is centered again with Luminous. Was just responding to the notion that the off-centeredness of Harmonious was at all intentional. It was not.

trainplane3

But the Stargate clearly faced that way (vs being easy to Wets or whatever) - there would have been a good view from there which not coincidentally would have brought in $ from corporate rentals, etc
It really didn't. It wasn't angled or anything. It was off center by about 10 feet. It still would've looked skewed from the table building. Now if they were going to actually modify the dock for the table, they would've turned the dock to actually face the building to make it center.

What Dock are we talking about? The one used for ROE? EF? Luminous looks more centered from what I read on here. Did Epcot move the existing Dock recently?
The RoE dock that wasn't modified for Harmonious. Luminious is completely centered because they built a completely new ring around the existing dock while leaving the original in place for the 7th barge.

ToTBellHop

While it may be true that Patrick Mahomes could’ve easily thrown a football through the Stargate from the unbuild Festival UFO, that wasn’t the primary reason for its off-centered placement. They build a giant donut far wider than the Earth barge and docked it at the same location leaving it off-center because math.

trainplane3

Anyone Remember Oct 1999? The Boards were not here and I was nowhere near WDW.......
I don't think it's fair to look at Illuminations from over 20 years ago and ignore Harmonious. Harmonious pulled a large crowd and was a big media event. Various VIP and bloggers were invited out for it and the surprise Spaceship Earth lights that night. They were also onsite for all of the 50th events that week like most guests at the time.

While I wasn't a Harmonious fan at all, it's the best gauge in terms of modern crowds that we have for a full new nighttime show in Epcot.

Now Luminous does have the Holidays close to it so there will be slightly heightened crowds but I don't expect anything extreme.

I doubt Illuminations was a max capacity debut, Harmonious was definitely not, and I expect Luminous will be the same way. Even if Illuminations was, it's a gauge that's over 20 years old. Though I'm sure @wdwmagic can comment on this since the site was literally formed because Reflections of Earth back in the day.

montyz81

Did anyone watch the nighttime spectacular episodes of Behind the Attraction? They spent 10 minutes talking about Harmonious and didn't even mention reflections of earth at all.
I just watched it. I had the same reaction. A show that lasted 25 years in various forms and was probably a top 5 attended nighttime show, and it didn't get a mention? I bet you Harmonious was included as a way of saying to Disney fans, "I know you hated it, but we still want you to know how difficult it was to make it happen." I have to say Disney Imagineering
has disappointed more in the last five years than in the previous 35 years of going to the parks.

Last edited:

thomas998

Uhh.. wha?

The runtime of 'Luminous' is around 16 minutes based on last night's test, which puts it slightly shorter than the 20-minute runtime of 'Harmonious 'but longer than the 12-minute-long 'EPCOT Forever,' which 'Luminous' replaces.
Unlike 'Harmonious,' 'Luminous' will not use any video displays and returns to the successful formula of IllumiNations, with fireworks, lighting, and fountains. Although it is difficult to gauge the quantity of fireworks in use, from this test, 'Luminous' appears to have more pyro than either 'EPCOT Forever' or 'Harmonious.' The test also confirmed the continued use of the lagoon seawall perimeter launches, which were fired numerous times at the show's beginning and finale.

It isn't just the number of pyros it is also the size, type and color. The majority of the shells I saw were cheap white shells. You generally have shells that range in price from $50 to $5,000.... I saw a lot of 50 dollar shells and not much else. So I would suspect this was a very cheap show from a pyro side.

Vinnie Mac

It isn't just the number of pyros it is also the size, type and color. The majority of the shells I saw were cheap white shells. You generally have shells that range in price from $50 to $5,000.... I saw a lot of 50 dollar shells and not much else. So I would suspect this was a very cheap show from a pyro side.
If the complaints have evolved from the quality of the show to this, I'd say things are looking good for Luminous

hatbloxghost

Usually, testing for new shows, especially the first test, will have different and more basic pyro than the final product. Disney Enchantment could be a good example, I saw all the testing and I remember the first run didn't have as much pyro as the final version and the shells were more basic.

Squishy

I wonder if there are any plans for entertainment at any park after Luminous? That will happen in 2024? Might be a yes and then a no answer lol.
Apart from a nighttime parade I'd assume DAK would be next for a new nighttime spectacular(probably not 2024 though).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom