News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

maxairmike

Well, sunset starts moving up again in a few days at least. They should really delay it 15 min in June and July, though. It’s dark by 9 in August.

It does stink that only deluxe resort guests or DAH ticket holders can see Epcot at night…

The lack of longer night hours for Epcot during the summer is a personal sore point, especially with the incredible SSE lighting package now. I don't know exactly when they stopped doing the shows after Harmonious/Luminous, but currently it's dark enough for only 3 shows prior to Luminous starting, and then nothing, really, afterwards. It's dark enough for Luminous, just barely, but it would still be nice to get at least another half hour or so of enjoying the park actually open and alive after dark with all the lighting additions they made.

mattpeto

The lack of longer night hours for Epcot during the summer is a personal sore point, especially with the incredible SSE lighting package now. I don't know exactly when they stopped doing the shows after Harmonious/Luminous, but currently it's dark enough for only 3 shows prior to Luminous starting, and then nothing, really, afterwards. It's dark enough for Luminous, just barely, but it would still be nice to get at least another half hour or so of enjoying the park actually open and alive after dark with all the lighting additions they made.
It’s absolutely absurd we can’t enjoy more park hours at night. Hollywood had a few solid weeks of 10 pm closings but it killed that too.

It feels like Epcot lighting packages still runs post closing at least. I don’t know if the beacons still run though to be honest.

maxairmike

It’s absolutely absurd we can’t enjoy more park hours at night. Hollywood had a few solid weeks of 10 pm closings but it killed that too.

It feels like Epcot lighting packages still runs post closing at least. I don’t know if the beacons still run though to be honest.

SSE and the gardens lighting cycles between the 3 or 4 main "always on" color schemes after, but I haven't seen a beacons show post-fireworks in quite a while.

mattpeto

I also don’t remember Epcot closing at 9:30 pm last year either except during Festival of the Holidays because of Candlelight.

There has been few exceptions IIRC.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Imagine if all the parks stayed open until say 11 or midnight.

stuart

Finally got to see this in person tonight on our first full day here, and was thoroughly impressed. The build up from loss to the finale is excellent, and some well crafted / designed effects throughout - and lighting too. The single symphony shell was missing however.

A night and day improvement over Harmonious.

There was a large group of dance around the world behind us in the Rose and Crown beer garden on the street who were fully invested and taken with the show.

waltography

Okay I'll bite and ask the real question here: WHEN IS THE LUMINOUS POSTER COMING OUT???

The logo looks so good now they've got me excited for that poster.
It's been long enough and they haven't come out with a poster, so I took my matters into my own hands to complete the trilogy:

LuminousPoster-3.png

And here it is in the line-up with the rest of the series:

Frame 83.png

TTA94

Unpopular opinion but I kinda miss Harmonious… 😕. Not the daytime views but the show itself. I am sure I am among the very few who would welcome this but I would not mind a reworked Harmonious using the Luminous infrastructure for DAH. They’ve been running Enchantment at MK for DAH so why not Harmonious? Some will say why not RoE? And I agree with that to, but we all know if any DAH was in consideration it would be IP filled, and a Harmonious comeback would be the easiest answer.

trainplane3

It's been long enough and they haven't come out with a poster, so I took my matters into my own hands to complete the trilogy:

View attachment 796693

And here it is in the line-up with the rest of the series:

View attachment 796694
Unless something happens, there won't be an official one. Just like with CommunicoreWhateverItsCalled.

I will say I like how you kept it simple. People have tried but gone too detailed with their own versions. It probably needs a gradient or something to complete the look.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Unpopular opinion but I kinda miss Harmonious… 😕. Not the daytime views but the show itself. I am sure I am among the very few who would welcome this but I would not mind a reworked Harmonious using the Luminous infrastructure for DAH. They’ve been running Enchantment at MK for DAH so why not Harmonious? Some will say why not RoE? And I agree with that to, but we all know if any DAH was in consideration it would be IP filled, and a Harmonious comeback would be the easiest answer.
I would welcome it as someone who didn’t enjoy it all that much, just to have a fireworks show at DAH is always a plus. The one thing about enchantment that I believe is the reason it was kept around for AH was due to the fact that there was no additional programming required or pyro design required. They just changed the castle projection to not include the medallion and they were show ready. Also, there was a lot of custom pyro in that show that they had ordered and based on the shorter than expected run of the show, didn’t use. With Harmonious, the same might be true, but based on the performances of EF from 2023, it appeared that they used harmonious pyro for those performances as much as they could. Also, the fact that they would have to completely design show elements for the Luminous barges for a show that didn’t get great review from the vast majority of guests ( and resulted in a multi-million dollar loss on equipment) is probably a non-starter for the current management team.

Vinnie Mac

I 100% agree. I'm very happy with what we have playing in the lagoon now and I think that show will continue to exist even in modified forms for years to come but there are definitely times where I'll listen to the Harmonious soundtrack and start to miss it a little bit. I grew really attached to it because I kept up with its development process very closely from early 2020 up until its debut. I was one of that shows biggest defenders on these forums for awhile.

I think for me Harmonious was just such a visually stunning production that it's hard to look at it and not be in awe. Anyone who saw it in person (with the intended view of being able to see the center barge especially) would definitely understand where I'm coming from with that. Technologically it feels like such a big step forward from Illuminations while Luminous feels like an early 2010's type production which there isn't anything inherently wrong with that because the pyro is fantastic (some of the best in the parks history), the original music is beautiful and inspiring, and the message feels genuine and meaningful. What Luminous lack's technologically, other aspects of the show make up for it.

Drones would have definitely helped is all I can say. But at the end of the day I am a big fan of every show that has played in that lagoon in the 21st century (besides Epcot Forever).

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Great but putting the finale over America was a poor decision. It was completely invisible to the majority of the park due to the smoke
I agree, the stream I watched was as by China, and it got difficult to see the finale at the tail end. The big upside is that they are definitely willing to program the barges for shows, as I think without a doubt the lights and fountains were the best for HOF out of the previous main show setups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom