News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Surfin' Tuna

It was raining, so I thought it was rain related at first. They came in near the end, so it must have just been technical reasons. It is 3 weeks old...

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Why do people say this like newness should exempt something from issues?
Because show used to matter for Disney.

Early-life hiccups are as common as late-life malfunctions.
So that excuses it?

The simp is strong with this one.

Maybe the problem is that the current crop of Imagineers are so full of themselves they donโ€™t know their rear ends from a hole in the ground.

James Alucobond

It doesn't excuse it. Show does matter, and it is embarrassing when something malfunctions on occasion out the gate. But it is not some great mystery as to why something brand new might have some issues, which is why I don't get the befuddlement at something three weeks old experiencing a technical issue. The implication seemed to be that this is indicative of potential ongoing reliability issues, which it is not unless we see it occur multiple times.

Last edited:

Andrew25

I hate to give Disney a pass since they could have paused the show, figured out the solution, and then restarted. BUT, technical issues should always be expected, especially for new things. If this happens again I'd be worried, but so far all of the shows I've been able to attend have worked flawlessly.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I hate to give Disney a pass since they could have paused the show, figured out the solution, and then restarted. BUT, technical issues should always be expected, especially for new things. If this happens again I'd be worried, but so far all of the shows I've been able to attend have worked flawlessly.
And judging by the comment made it seems that they fixed it later in the performance. Also can we acknowledge that these kind of malfunctions probably happened all the time before social media. There just wasn't someone to post about it on social media, all the time.

monothingie

Premium Member
It doesn't excuse it. Show does matter, and it is embarrassing when something malfunctions on occasion out the gate. But it is not some great mystery as to why something brand new might have some issues, which is why I don't get the befuddlement at something three weeks old experiencing a technical issue. The implication seemed to be that this is indicative of potential ongoing reliability issues, which it is not unless we see it occur multiple times.
But you are excusing it. There have been consistent technical issues with this show since it debuted. We'll be entering the 4th week of this show shortly and they still haven't gotten consistent performance out of it for whatever reason. At what point does it indicate a bigger organizational failing. "Just give the guests something, they've already paid their admission, who cares."

Just like the rest of the EPCOT spine redo it wasn't ready or wasn't designed properly so it debuted incomplete or not ready.

If it's this troublesome now, fast forward a year or two and let's see how great it is then.

Andrew25

And judging by the comment made it seems that they fixed it later in the performance. Also can we acknowledge that these kind of malfunctions probably happened all the time before social media. There just wasn't someone to post about it on social media, all the time.

Yup. I think people forget this a lot. Doesn't defend the lack of maintenance the parks have had in recent years, but it's not like these things have happened in the past before the age of everyone having a phone in their hand.

But you are excusing it. There have been consistent technical issues with this show since it debuted. We'll be entering the 4th week of this show shortly and they still haven't gotten consistent performance out of it for whatever reason.
What issues have occurred? Saw the show on 7 different nights before being blocked out with my AP... didn't have any issues on those nights. Lights, pyro, and center barge were all working properly.

monothingie

Premium Member
Original Test Track was a nightmare.

They delayed it for almost 2 years and then had 4 months of soft openings to get it right. But they eventually got it right and went live with a reliable and finished attraction.

Do you think current day management would ever do that? Doubtful, ROTR certainly needed a lot of work to get to a "reliable" state and we see how well that works for it today a couple of years after opening.

Andrew25

Except they weren't.
For one night only? Not concerned at all if that were the case.

Disney used to always deliver right out of the gate, no imperfections, and we shouldn't demand anything less. Now excuse me while I pull my shoes out of the wet cement and head to Autopia before the cars all crash into each other.
There's a difference between "striving for excellence/perfection" and actual perfection. It's the real world, stuff happens, unfortunately.

I think people forget sometimes how Disneyland wasn't ready on opening day sometimes and Walt still opened the place...

1703782951647.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom