News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

RETLAW

Why is Epcot the park where the use of IP in the nighttime spectacular is questioned when all the parks, even the non castle parks, have them?
Epcot has always been my favorite of all the parks because of Disney quality entertainment, rides, shows, and not have every form of Disney IP in my face the entire day. It was the "Adult Park", and my escape from the other 3 parks.

roj2323

Watched the new show on Youtube tonight (I'll go watch it in person next week) Really it's a mixed bag. The individual components are great but there's way too much reliance on fireworks to the point in which it actually hurts the show. Additionally they could delete the first 4 and a half minutes and the show would be better.

osian

Why is Epcot the park where the use of IP in the nighttime spectacular is questioned when all the parks, even the non castle parks, have them?
Because EPCOT is about humanity and real life, not cartoon characters [edit: from a pre-existing movie] in a fantasy world [edit: where they have their own story separate from the human story].

Last edited:

osian

Epcot has always been my favorite of all the parks because of Disney quality entertainment, rides, shows, and not have every form of Disney IP in my face the entire day. It was the "Adult Park", and my escape from the other 3 parks.
You're right, but I think describing it as "the adult park" is doing it a disservice. Familes with children can have fun together in EPCOT too, they don't need cartoon characters to be able to gel with each other! I think what is meant generally by "adult park" is that some people are sick of cartoon charcters everywhere, these people are not always adults, and there are adults who do like cartoon characters, so the adult thing isn't really describing it properly. It's just people who can see that theme parks are just that, and the movie and cartoon world is just one theme that they can have ,and it's great when a park does something different and doesn't just follow what others so. There isn't a law that a theme park has to be an advertisement for the movie business of the company. "Edutainment" is also a problematic word. Why not just replace that word with "the type of park that Walt wanted", because after all, he wanted his park to be the place where adults and children can play and learn together, that was always part of it.

OSUPhantom

Because EPCOT is about humanity and real life, not cartoon characters in a fantasy world.
IMG_5103.png

OSUPhantom

Which cartoon movie did he appear in? And why do you see Journey into Imagination as anything other than the real world?
He’s literally a cartoon character. He doesn’t have to be in a show or movie to be a cartoon.

Also the real world doesn’t have talking cartoon purple dragons…so amazingly I didn’t view Journey into Imagination as the “real world”.

lightningtap347

He’s literally a cartoon character. He doesn’t have to be in a show or movie to be a cartoon.

Also the real world doesn’t have talking cartoon purple dragons…so amazingly I didn’t view Journey into Imagination as the “real world”.
He's also been in multiple cartoons! In them, he literally takes people to his imaginary world of Figonia.

I've seen a lot of wrong posts here in my lifetime, but I don't think I've seen such immediate and confidently incorrect ones!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Something new tonight I didn’t see last night, a final burst very low, possibly from the new centre barge contraption, as it finishes lowering.

View attachment 757887

Unsure if just a misfire or a missing effect from last night?

(32:57-33:08)

A misfire would shoot straight up like a mine this was intentional, ROE had those to and I can’t believe they bought them back.

ToTBellHop

I really liked the new Epcot theme when we first heard it a bit in 2021 but love that we can now hear it throughout the front of the park and we’ll-integrated into Luminous (better than it was in Harm). It produces a park-wide harmony that I’ve always felt was lacking at Epcot. The new lighting up front coordinates well with this show producing a cohesive nighttime experience.

I also really like the two original songs. The finale song is as catchy for me as “Happily Ever After”.

I’ll just check my email during the Play portion.

jrhwdw

I've watched it a couple times on video today, which is as far from my feelings on HARM. So take that for what it is. 🙂

I will say I also just watched a video of the Peace on Earth tag. That done on this new infrastructure could be absolutely incredible. And it could blend very nicely with this show's story as well.
Could Luminous' hardware hold a full Luminous plus a Tag? Or would we still need the WW3 Barges?

osian

Dreamfinder and Figment are personifications, or manifestations, of the human imagination. They don't have a universe of their own, they exist only to tell a particular (human, real-world) story to describe how our imagination works to collect thoughts and create things, for a specific attraction, similar to the Carousel of Progress family. They are absolutely firmly rooted in the real world, if you think Journey into Imagination is (was) about a fictional universe and not real life then you've missed the point of EPCOT. And they weren't imported from a pre-existing, unconnected, fictional cartoon. (We might be getting into semantics here - I meant cartoon as in a movie feature presentation, but it also means a form in which a character is realised, e.g. human, puppet, animatronic, drawn - both characters have existed in all forms).

Doctor Who has also had spin-off comic books, but he's not a cartoon character, although he has existed in drawn forms.

Last edited:

osian

He's also been in multiple cartoons! In them, he literally takes people to his imaginary world of Figonia.

I've seen a lot of wrong posts here in my lifetime, but I don't think I've seen such immediate and confidently incorrect ones!
As I've just said we might be getting into one of these internet semantic arguments. People are well aware of my meaning. I have edited my original comment to make it clearer so that people do not get confused and waste time trying to argue a point that was never asserted.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've watched it a couple times on video today, which is as far from my feelings on HARM. So take that for what it is. 🙂

I will say I also just watched a video of the Peace on Earth tag. That done on this new infrastructure could be absolutely incredible. And it could blend very nicely with this show's story as well.
Indeed it would. Fingers crossed for a tag next year. Seems like an easy way to bring something extra for the holidays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom