News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

aladdin2007

Its hard to judge exactly from a minute long clip, but I think the score is going to be very big and grand just from the hint we got, its telling enough that there is much more and it felt like a lot of emotion is going into this. I even love the song so far, the singing maybe not so much but at least its not bombastic shouting like the mess in harmonious. Can't wait to hear katherines song now. I could hurl though at that comment about its a lot about what epcot is about. Really??? That's the worst thing he could have said. Talk about bottom of the lagoon. Has he even been to Epcot? Yikes.
But all in all it sounds well crafted and like its going to be much more cohesive. That orchestra sound is excellent. A little ROE vibe I think we will have once again...............

I keep playing this over a few times and that score part is going to be really good. I can see the pavilions sparkling lights to this music.

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

IMG_1358.jpeg

This little tidbit about the intro makes me very excited. "The tap of the a conductor's baton" is very much so reminiscent of the drums at the beginning of ROE. The voices from the different pavilions too?? This show is going to be special

MrPromey

View attachment 752472
This little tidbit about the intro makes me very excited. "The tap of the a conductor's baton" is very much so reminiscent of the drums at the beginning of ROE. The voices from the different pavilions too?? This show is going to be special
Makes me think Fantasia a little bit.

We'll see how this turns out but at the very least, it's already shaping up to be an improvement over Harmonious.

Disney Analyst

I'll say it. The female vocalist doesn't sound like she's had grounded vocal training. She'll sound good to the general public, but lord, just that clip shows she either never took voice, or is completely disregarding technique. Wrong breathing, swooping for placement, and even basic things like disconnecting "and/I" but she sings, "an Die." She's not even pronouncing words correctly. Sym-fu-nee? Really? I'll go back under my bridge now.

Meanwhile I like her vocals, and think she sounds great.

🤷‍♂️

Dr.GrantSeeker

I really just hope this is cohesive and there is actual pacing unlike harm. I’m not sure about all the Disney songs because I don’t think they are needed but we know that’s unavoidable these days. Hoping the story is clear, concise and flows. Also hope there isn’t too many vocals and there is a good balance between orchestra/symphony and lyrics.

Vegas Disney Fan

Have they moved the barges around at all beyond brining them out into the lagoon?

I know the intention is to put them away and bring them out everyday but as more are revealed that looks like a huge task, I’m worried these will end up permanent fixtures also.

trainplane3

Have they moved the barges around at all beyond brining them out into the lagoon?

I know the intention is to put them away and bring them out everyday but as more are revealed that looks like a huge task, I’m worried these will end up permanent fixtures also.
They've been training the team on them for a few weeks now to the point of just driving them around the lagoon to get used to the handling.

TDLFan

I've taught voice for over 20 years and have been in multiple Broadway shows. She's singing sym-funny, as opposed to sym- pho-ny. It's not noticeable to 99.9%, but anyone with vocal training can tell she hasn't been trained or disregarded technique. She made a three syllable word, two. A lot of current younger singers are guilty of the same thing because they learn by mimicking the sound as opposed to understanding the music structure and what's happening with the vowel sounds and correct emphasis. This is nitpicking at its finest, but that's what the internet is for. ;)

Disney Analyst

But those are two distinct pronunciations. As far as I'm aware, "symphony" has only one standard pronunciation, and she's using it.

I keep saying it over and over to myself, and it always comes out sim-fuh-nee

sim-phone-nee isn't right ...

and my cat can confirm it is not, as she stares at me like I am a crazy person, repeating the word over and over again in different ways...

LittleBuford

I've taught voice for over 20 years and have been in multiple Broadway shows. She's singing sym-funny, as opposed to sym- pho-ny. It's not noticeable to 99.9%, but anyone with vocal training can tell she hasn't been trained or disregarded technique. She made a three syllable word, two. A lot of current younger singers are guilty of the same thing because they learn by mimicking the sound as opposed to understanding the music structure and what's happening with the vowel sounds and correct emphasis. This is nitpicking at its finest, but that's what the internet is for. ;)
You're contradicting yourself. How can you say that she "made a three syllable word, two" while also transcribing her pronunciation as three syllables? ("Sym-funny" isn't two syllables, and nor is your earlier transcription of "sym-fu-nee".)

I may not be a trained singer, but I'm a reasonably literate and well-spoken native speaker of English, and her pronunciation of that word seems entirely standard to me.

LittleBuford

I keep saying it over and over to myself, and it always comes out sim-fuh-nee

sim-phone-nee isn't right ...

and my cat can confirm it is not, as she stares at me like I am a crazy person, repeating the word over and over again in different ways...
The middle syllable is what's called a schwa. We use it many words regardless of the vowel they're written with. Some examples (with schwa bolded):

cousin
woman
Ellen
Cajun
Britain
Canada
A
merica
symphony

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom