News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Disney Analyst

I've taught voice for over 20 years and have been in multiple Broadway shows. She's singing sym-funny, as opposed to sym- pho-ny. It's not noticeable to 99.9%, but anyone with vocal training can tell she hasn't been trained or disregarded technique. She made a three syllable word, two. A lot of current younger singers are guilty of the same thing because they learn by mimicking the sound as opposed to understanding the music structure and what's happening with the vowel sounds and correct emphasis. This is nitpicking at its finest, but that's what the internet is for. ;)

I have vocal training - but I would by no means call myself an expert, it's been a long time.

Do you have it on good authority that she wasn't musically directed to sing it that way? Or is the only possible option that she has no proper training (doubtful), or is disregarding any training?

Is it possible they have her singing it that way for a specific reason, based on the structure of the song?

TheMaxRebo

I have vocal training - but I would by no means call myself an expert, it's been a long time.

Do you have it on good authority that she wasn't musically directed to sing it that way? Or is the only possible option that she has no proper training (doubtful), or is disregarding any training?

Is it possible they have her singing it that way for a specific reason, based on the structure of the song?

assuming that is Sheléa, who was the person mentioned as being the other featured singer, she was mentored by Stevie Wonder and is a protegee of Quincy Jones, so certainly has been influenced but some greats

James Alucobond

The middle syllable is what's called a schwa. We use it many words regardless of the vowel they're written with. Some examples (with schwa bolded):

cousin
woman
Ellen
Cajun
Britain
Canada
A
merica
symphony
You’re of course correct from the perspective of conversational pronunciation. That said, when formally trained in singing, you’re generally taught to favor the “pure” vowel sounds (think of how non-dipthong vowels are pronounced in Spanish) to minimize tensing of the mouth and lips, which can affect your tone. It’s especially important when part of a chorus in order to homogenize tone and pronunciation (to aid in overall intelligibility). It’s more acceptable to take liberties when you’re the soloist and are singing something a bit more in the pop genre, but it’s probably not incorrect to say that some classically important elements of the performance might suffer as a result of singing in that style, which will obviously bother or not bother folks to varying degrees.

LittleBuford

You’re of course correct from the perspective of conversational pronunciation. That said, when formally trained in singing, you’re generally taught to favor the “pure” vowel sounds (think of how non-dipthong vowels are pronounced in Spanish) to minimize tensing of the mouth and lips, which can affect your tone. It’s especially important when part of a chorus in order to homogenize tone and pronunciation (to aid in overall intelligibility). It’s more acceptable to take liberties when you’re the soloist and are singing something a bit more in the pop genre, but it’s probably not incorrect to say that some classically important elements of the performance might suffer as a result of singing in that style, which will obviously bother or not bother folks to varying degrees.
But she's singing in a pop style. If the criticism being made is that she should be pronouncing the schwa of "symphony" as a "pure" O, the result would sound very strange indeed, especially since no standard pronunciation of the word—even in the most formal speech—sounds that way to begin with. Try it for yourself.

I should also note that the schwa is used in classical singing too. "Zadok the Priest", as sung at the coronation of King Charles III, did not "purify" of schwas of "Solomon", for example.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

But she's singing in a pop style. If the criticism being made is that she should be pronouncing the schwa of "symphony" as a "pure" O, the result would sound very strange indeed, especially since no standard pronunciation of the word—even in the most formal speech—sounds that way to begin with. Try it for yourself.

I should also note that the schwa is used in classical singing too. "Zadok the Priest", as sung at the coronation of King Charles III, did not "purify" of schwas of "Solomon", for example.

I am aware that it is pop, I am aware that it would sound weird to talk like that in everyday life, and I am aware that you can’t slavishly use only five vowel sounds, hence the word “favor”, not “use exclusively”. I don’t mean to be argumentative; I was just explaining what I saw as that user’s perspective, which is that they would rather see this sung in a more classical choral style rather than pop, which I kind of agree would make for a nice distinction between what you hear at Magic Kingdom versus EPCOT. I get where you’re coming from too in terms of it feeling like an attack for “lack of training”, though. It’s probably more a stylistic choice.

Disney Analyst

I am aware that it is pop, I am aware that it would sound weird to talk like that in everyday life, and I am aware that you can’t slavishly use only five vowel sounds, hence the word “favor”, not “use exclusively”. I don’t mean to be argumentative; I was just explaining what I saw as that user’s perspective, which is that they would rather see this sung in a more classical choral style rather than pop, which I kind of agree would make for a nice distinction between what you hear at Magic Kingdom versus EPCOT. I get where you’re coming from too in terms of it feeling like an attack for “lack of training”, though. It’s probably more a stylistic choice.

I think that was my point as well when I chimed in.

I didn't like the implication that the performer may not have any training. As you stated, it is more than likely a stylistic choice, or something she has been directed to do by the musical director or writers of the piece.

LittleBuford

Sorry all! I still didn't slam it as hard as the site that shall not be named who has an image of someone plugging their ears stating, "Luminous show dissapoints." Lol
I don’t think anyone has an issue with criticism per se. You’ll note I questioned you only on one of your statements (the one I thought was unfair and inaccurate), but I’m certainly not going to tell you or anyone else you’re wrong for disliking the singer’s approach overall. It’s a matter of personal taste at the end of the day.

TTA94

They said the second song in the show will be called “Beating Of Your Heart”, well many years ago I believe Tokyo had a song called that or at least it was in the lyrics. Unfortunately I can’t find it and I can’t remember exactly what it was from but there definitely was a song like that. They’d have to change a bit of the lyrics if that is what they’re reusing.

trainplane3

Barge number five was doing laps around the lagoon this afternoon. I’m assuming for training purposes. Just kept doing circles.
They've also been spotted doing simulated dockings with the islands in WS lagoon. If anyone had doubts about these things going back stage daily, this should confirm they will be.

I'm pretty surprised at how much they've been seen driving them around during park hours but it's only a good thing.

roro494

They said the second song in the show will be called “Beating Of Your Heart”, well many years ago I believe Tokyo had a song called that or at least it was in the lyrics. Unfortunately I can’t find it and I can’t remember exactly what it was from but there definitely was a song like that. They’d have to change a bit of the lyrics if that is what they’re reusing.
(loooong time lurker first time poster lol) you're thinking of 'The Legend of Mythica' from Tokyo DisneySea!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've taught voice for over 20 years and have been in multiple Broadway shows. She's singing sym-funny, as opposed to sym- pho-ny. It's not noticeable to 99.9%, but anyone with vocal training can tell she hasn't been trained or disregarded technique. She made a three syllable word, two. A lot of current younger singers are guilty of the same thing because they learn by mimicking the sound as opposed to understanding the music structure and what's happening with the vowel sounds and correct emphasis. This is nitpicking at its finest, but that's what the internet is for. ;)
What you describe is accurate (except the part about sim-funny being two syllables!!).

After that... its an artistic choice of whether to sing more classically or more pop/colloquially. They chose the latter. Doesn't mean they made a mistake or are untrained.

You have a preference, and that's fine.

In colloquial English, many people use 'gonna' and 'woulda.' But if giving a State of the Union address, they would use "going to" and "would have."

Also, in colloquial language people constantly pronounce "our" as "are." Which shouldn't be done while singing.

Sometimes pop takes it too colloquially and too folksy to the point of maybe dating itself by next decade. But the world of classical music can also go to extremes like insisting pronouncing "again" as "a gane" -- even when the rhyme scheme calls for "again."

The choices this vocalist made are fine with me since it is in the pop style. Perhaps the high note is a tad too thin... that's for the orchestra to pave over. ;)

An die... will always love yououououououououououo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom