News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Cmdr_Crimson

For those interested, I made a Spotify playlist of both pre-show loops. Some songs are missing simply because they aren't available in the USA on Spotify, at least. I found them in other places and they're forever at home on my laptop, haha. I know you can find them on Apple Music or YouTube, though.

Glad I got the original full length versions from Mousebits..

vikescaper

Hearing all that great preshow music makes me nostalgic.
I can literally see the reflections of the touch flames dancing on the surface of the lagoon while listening to these tracks….

Man I miss this Show.

-
They really knocked the ROE music out of the park. We were walking through World Showcase today and I found myself starting to hum some of the pre show music.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
They really knocked the ROE music out of the park. We were walking through World Showcase today and I found myself starting to hum some of the pre show music.

There was absolutely nothing like hearing the music start with the torches going and then this:

We’re gathered here tonight, around the fire — as people of all lands have gathered for thousands and thousands of years before us — to share the light, and to share a story. An amazing story as old as time itself, but still being written. And though each of us has our own individual stories to tell, a true adventure emerges when we bring them all together as one. We hope you enjoy our story tonight: Reflections of Earth

And then the torches went out and the show started. It was pure perfection in every way and they just need to bring the thing back and update it.

osian

It was pure perfection in every way and they just need to bring the thing back and update it.

Are you sure you wouldn't like to hear another arrangement of Let It Go, perhaps with some ethnic drums on it to make it really relevant? It's Anna and Elsa's stories that need telling. Again. Over and over again. Forget the Earth's story, no-one wants to know about that. It's boring. And doesn't sell merchandise.

But that's the whole point isn't it. Disney is great at storytelling, as they keep telling us. But Epcot is Earth's story. The clue is that big knobbly ball thing at the entrance, like the icons of the other parks, it's the heart of the park, it tells you what its function is. Disney is becoming terrible at telling this story. Perhaps that's why they don't want to tell it any more.

Disclaimer: I will give them half a credit for Cosmic Rewind and Journey of Water, in that the story is there if you look for it, but sadly most people will find the wrong story. But honestly, Ratatouille, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen Ever After, The Seas with Nemo and friends, Akershus, princess and character meet n greets, and of course Harmonious.... With the afore-mentioned two latest attractions, and a new fireworks show, might we hope that they've seen a light of sorts and that future IP-infused attractions might just have a glimmer of Epcot in them? And that the characters are there to help the story along, rather than being the story themselves? And that brings us back to Dreamfinder and OG Figment...

mikejs78

Premium Member
Other Disney Guests could care less.

I'm pretty sure they got a lot of complaints / negative surveys about the barges. It doesn't take a major Disney fan to see what eyesores those were compared to the sightlines of the rest of WDW. It wasn't like something that is subtle unless you're looking for it like the Soarin buildings, or something on the periphery of the park like the Cosmic Rewind Big Blue Box, but something front and center and impossible to miss.

Splash4eva

People keep saying the hardware in the lagoon was the main reason Harmonious was hated. Only the die-hard Epcot fans cared about the hardware. Other Disney Guests could care less. The main fact was the show sucked. It wasn't keeping Guests in the restaurants till 9 either. You couldn't see it from half the viewing locations, it was just a clip show with limited fireworks. It was a see one time and never have to see it again kind of show.
Agreed. The show was awful. Only reason why it went. If the show was great. Noone would care about the barges in the lagoon as a “sacrifice” for a great show. And honestly. As bad as they were the outrage to me was overblown. Yes i know thats a hot take but again if the show was good it would have been well worth it.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Agreed. The show was awful. Only reason why it went. If the show was great. Noone would care about the barges in the lagoon as a “sacrifice” for a great show. And honestly. As bad as they were the outrage to me was overblown. Yes i know thats a hot take but again if the show was good it would have been well worth it.
I will never understand this subset of Disney fans who have such low standards for things like show and sight lines. It’s like running back to the same ex because they buys you flowers every Friday despite being an absolute poor person.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I actually didn’t think the show was THAT awful. There were segments that weren’t as good as others for sure but there were sections I began to like the more I saw it anyways. I almost wonder if the 4 taco barges could have survived and used the screens some during the day if they just got rid of the crazy middle portal (or been able to move it in and out of the lagoon).

I’m afraid the new show won’t be as good. Full of IP music and some fireworks and that’s about it.

Regardless it’s done and sadly destroyed after spending so much on it. It definitely wasn’t well thought out

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I see it's the same rant over and over again.
Everyone who's been posting in the past few months are people I'm sure who have never had a chance to weigh in on the old show or their hopes or dreads for the new show before.

Surely people wouldn't keep posting their same opinions over and over again... that would be... madness.

Touchdown

It was a very good show if viewed from between the two gift shops (problem one) and started really slow I see the show in four parts:

1. The bad part: The show goes all in on activating every water feature but takes forever to start with fireworks. I liked the mashup of Hercules and Moana just wished it had more boom, and has zero connection to Epcot. the Aladdin segment was nice but short, and then we got to Jungle Book which was terrible and did not fit in this park. Jungle Book was written by a British Colonialist it’s not Indian! Also not connected to Epcot

2. The good part: The show takes a big step up in quality during the Mulan segment and gets better with the Lion King (my second favorite segment) but France is a bit of a let down, BatB is unneeded and I would have liked different Hunback songs.

3. The great part: The quick Brave section is a nice pause and appropriately sets the stage for the best segment in the show, Coco. It’s perfect. PatF lasts a bit too long and gets repetitive for my liking.

4. The finale/post show: I loved the finale, and the post show. Those peripheral flares wow. It’s just I wish it tied the show together but without introducing the concept of world harmony at the beginning feels tacked on.

Cmdr_Crimson

It was a very good show if viewed from between the two gift shops (problem one) and started really slow I see the show in four parts:

1. The bad part: The show goes all in on activating every water feature but takes forever to start with fireworks. I liked the mashup of Hercules and Moana just wished it had more boom, and has zero connection to Epcot. the Aladdin segment was nice but short, and then we got to Jungle Book which was terrible and did not fit in this park. Jungle Book was written by a British Colonialist it’s not Indian! Also not connected to Epcot

2. The good part: The show takes a big step up in quality during the Mulan segment and gets better with the Lion King (my second favorite segment) but France is a bit of a let down, BatB is unneeded and I would have liked different Hunback songs.

3. The great part: The quick Brave section is a nice pause and appropriately sets the stage for the best segment in the show, Coco. It’s perfect. PatF lasts a bit too long and gets repetitive for my liking.

4. The finale/post show: I loved the finale, and the post show. Those peripheral flares wow. It’s just I wish it tied the show together but without introducing the concept of world harmony at the beginning feels tacked on.
When they showed It on ABC that was one of the most Rose Colored pieces of vomit I have ever seen..They were never this hyped for Illuminations which was far superior.....Along With Wishes.. To be the better shows in the parks..

HMF

There was absolutely nothing like hearing the music start with the torches going and then this:

We’re gathered here tonight, around the fire — as people of all lands have gathered for thousands and thousands of years before us — to share the light, and to share a story. An amazing story as old as time itself, but still being written. And though each of us has our own individual stories to tell, a true adventure emerges when we bring them all together as one. We hope you enjoy our story tonight: Reflections of Earth

And then the torches went out and the show started. It was pure perfection in every way and they just need to bring the thing back and update it.
The only problem was when they added the crap about The place where dreams come true in 2006 through the end of it's run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom