News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

osian

If they've taken on board criticisms of the ugly hardware and poor viewing angles, I hope they're not going to conveniently ignore the criticisms of the IP inc!usion. It would be a bit of a shame if there was no big water component (although I don't think the Harmonious water bits lived up to the expectations, also the Fountain of Nations show was perfect for the area and it would be nice to see something similar back as a standalone compnent), but at the end of the day it's going to be a great fireworks spectacular regardless. My one big hope though is that it celebrates EPCOT and what it stands for, from Walt's visionary ideas of technology, ways of living and hope for the future and how imagineers took that inspiration to create the park. Walt's ideas were probably not perfect but the creators of the thene park turned it into something "useful". I just don't want the show to be yet another lecture on Disney storytelling rather than actually telling a story. Nothing says cultural respect and integration and dissemination of knowledge than forcing natives of other countries to sing Dsney songs, right? To my mind, Harmonious was the very opposite of the message EPCOT was meant to convey. Let's all celebrate other nations by integrating them into *our* culture, eh? Of course, perhaps Harm was only meant to be short-lived, just to celebrate Disney itself as part of the 50th, but it's scary to think that they could have been considering it as a permanent show.

Having said that though, it's hard to see Disney with its current management tunnel-vision introducing something new that isn't first and foremost meant to be an ad for its movie and streaming business.

TDLFan

They'd be foolish to wait till 2024. With the way fall bookings are looking, they need all the help they can get. The launch of a new nighttime show is certainly needed to attract $$$, and if it indeed is just primarily fireworks and a score (and its been in the works over a year already), there's no reason this should take an additional 6 months unless it's the team that's working on the Cake Bake shop. 🤣

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Going on a rant here but IMO this new show better have a killer soundtrack and impressive fireworks because it’s already sounding like a disappointment. I do hopeI’ll be very wrong but not holding my breath. If I am right in my thinking and this show is garbage hopefully there was enough people, of importance, who saw Harmonius and will complain this new show is not visually impressive and is a big downgrade. Yes they’ll be happy it’s a 360 show, but won’t be happy it’s not as visually impressive. Those in charge should have designed a show that is both 360 And visually impressive 🤦‍♂️ this isn’t a difficult concept. It screams cheapness and I hope it shows and backfires.
I’ve been concerned we are going to want harmonious back. Yeah I know the massive barges were annoying during the day, but..we’ll see. I just hope it isn’t a knee jerk reaction because so many hated the barges that the new rushed show won’t be as enjoyable. Harm definitely had some nice effects so going back to just a fireworks show makes me wonder how it’ll be received. Even Illuminations had water fountains. Poor ones I know but they did provide something different within the show.

Hoping this new show will be good but I was hoping Enchantment was going to be as well and we know how that turned out.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If they've taken on board criticisms of the ugly hardware and poor viewing angles, I hope they're not going to conveniently ignore the criticisms of the IP inc!usion. It would be a bit of a shame if there was no big water component (although I don't think the Harmonious water bits lived up to the expectations, also the Fountain of Nations show was perfect for the area and it would be nice to see something similar back as a standalone compnent), but at the end of the day it's going to be a great fireworks spectacular regardless. My one big hope though is that it celebrates EPCOT and what it stands for, from Walt's visionary ideas of technology, ways of living and hope for the future and how imagineers took that inspiration to create the park. Walt's ideas were probably not perfect but the creators of the thene park turned it into something "useful". I just don't want the show to be yet another lecture on Disney storytelling rather than actually telling a story. Nothing says cultural respect and integration and dissemination of knowledge than forcing natives of other countries to sing Dsney songs, right? To my mind, Harmonious was the very opposite of the message EPCOT was meant to convey. Let's all celebrate other nations by integrating them into *our* culture, eh? Of course, perhaps Harm was only meant to be short-lived, just to celebrate Disney itself as part of the 50th, but it's scary to think that they could have been considering it as a permanent show.

Having said that though, it's hard to see Disney with its current management tunnel-vision introducing something new that isn't first and foremost meant to be an ad for its movie and streaming business.
I’m afraid if you’re wanting the new show to be something like epcot forever (musically and referencing Epcots past and vision) and not full of IP you may be disappointed. That’s the direction they are taking Epcot.

TheMaxRebo

I would be shocked if there is no IP in it - though it did say there will be a new original theme which is something Harmonius lacked, so hopefully they get a good balance of some IP for people who want that/more "Disney" but with the original theme reminiscent of classic Epcot to tie is all together

TTA94

This show debuting next year would make more sense as, that we know of, they do not have any new entertainment planned at any of the parks for 2024.

TDLFan

This show debuting next year would make more sense as, that we know of, they do not have any new entertainment planned at any of the parks for 2024.
True, but the same could be said for this year since they hauled out retired shows and it didn't boost attendance, just made a bad situation better. This new show is the only carrot they have to dangle and we're only halfway through 2023.

pdude81

IP inclusion was not the problem. And they would be stupid not to mix a number of properties into a new show, as that's what a lot of young guests want. Turning Harmonious into a clip show like they did with Soarin was tacky, no doubt. But the hardware and the limited WS views were the real problem. Everything else could have been edited or updated.

MagicHappens1971

It's foolish to think this new show will debut "IP-less", that was not the main problem with Harmonious, it was the hardware sitting in the lagoon all day, coupled with the fact that you really needed to be in 1 or 2 places for a good view of the show. I think that Harmonious would've remained, with some edits if the barges we're able to be moved in and out of the lagoon.

WorldExplorer

It worked for 20 years with ROE.

Given that Magic Kingdom got Happily Ever After back, I do wonder if at any point anyone at least considered just bringing back Illuminations. It was older than HEA, true, and it'd need a new globe, but they seem to like burning money, so why not?

Sir_Cliff

Given that Magic Kingdom got Happily Ever After back, I do wonder if at any point anyone at least considered just bringing back Illuminations. It was older than HEA, true, and it'd need a new globe, but they seem to like burning money, so why not?
I imagine it would cost far too much to bring all the infrastructure for ROE back when its guest satisfaction ratings toward the end probably don't suggest they'll get much of a boost. HEA was, if I recall correctly, the highest-rated attraction at MK when they got rid of it and also relatively easy to bring back. At Epcot, I think they would be better at least trying to invest in a better knew show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom