News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If Sep 22 is still on the table, we would have to hear about testing soon right? Is WSL getting any more effects or will the replacement just be like EF 2023? Would be nice if Lights and Fountains returned to WSL!.....
I'm not expecting anything to be left out in the lagoon, so everything will be barge based and brought out each day. It seems like it will be much more like EF than Harmonious in that regard.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
If Sep 22 is still on the table, we would have to hear about testing soon right? Is WSL getting any more effects or will the replacement just be like EF 2023? Would be nice if Lights and Fountains returned to WSL!.....
There was so much hype about Harmonious and barely a whisper about this. We don't even have a name yet and other than generic concept art everything that is happening has been under the radar.

Either they're setting expectations extremely low or this thing is going to be a massive disappointment.

If it were ground breaking and amazing, they'd be teasing it all over social media. (Did Zach "Instagram" Ridley get fired btw?)

jrhwdw

There was so much hype about Harmonious and barely a whisper about this. We don't even have a name yet and other than generic concept art everything that is happening has been under the radar.

Either they're setting expectations extremely low or this thing is going to be a massive disappointment.

If it were ground breaking and amazing, they'd be teasing it all over social media. (Did Zach "Instagram" Ridley get fired btw?)
If Disney is thinking that this will be another dud, maybe they should just upgrade EF? It has everything in the Soundtrack. A little IP and Music that Epcot's been known for for years!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

I'm not aware of anything in the new show that will be ground breaking like RoL or Harmonious. Everything I know about it suggests it will be a solid firework show.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sounds like EF with more pyro. Which I'm fine with, but it's just the same thing you get at the MK with the same songs, then...

Why couldn't they have just spent a fraction of the money and updated ROE?
Well the $150M spent on Harmonious was meant to give EPCOT the blockbuster show for the next 10+ years. Once that decision was made RoE was history.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Well the $150M spent on Harmonious was meant to give EPCOT the blockbuster show for the next 10+ years. Once that decision was made RoE was history.
Well at $150M running for about 18 Months, (548 days), makes the base cost per show before cost of pyro and labor about $275K per show.

Seems like the only thing Parks and Experiences is good at these days is burning hundreds of millions (billions?) of dollars on failure.

pdude81

Just look at the 2021 version, it had much more pyro and fireworks than what we currently have.

Lagoon being smoked out just depends on the weather for the night.
Perhaps. I've seen it 4 or 5 times over the different iterations, and the only time it didn't smoke out the bridge and the pub, there were still kites and jet skis. For a new show I hope they can mitigate that somewhat, since they don't have to plan around giant hardware.

gerarar

Premium Member
Perhaps. I've seen it 4 or 5 times over the different iterations, and the only time it didn't smoke out the bridge and the pub, there were still kites and jet skis. For a new show I hope they can mitigate that somewhat, since they don't have to plan around giant hardware.
They did budget cut the show by cutting the pyro count by half during its first run after just a few months (until the park closures in 2020), so it was really bare even with all the jet skis & kites (which also were breaking and being removed one by one towards the end of their short run).

It's kind of a wild ride that EF had so far. So many ups and downs that I'd imagine will eventually be forgotten over time lol

yensidtlaw1969

I wonder how long it's gonna take for them to realize the issues with the show were conceptual, and the deeper meaning of that.

$150M is plenty to make a blockbuster Nighttime Spectacular. While it was sad to lose Illuminations: ROE, the impulse to do something new was understandable. They were replacing a hugely successful show after 20 years. That show featured no Disney Studio IP, no famous music, no classic characters, and was massively popular.

It's almost like simply throwing a ton of money at misplaced characters and ill-considered infrastructure doesn't actually work for their audience. Which I would caution them to notice, since that is very nearly all they are doing in the parks these days.

jpinkc

If they want to do something solid, for Epcot talk to Sir John Williams I think he might find time, since he isnt retiring. Future Disney Legend I am sure as well.

SirLink

I wonder how long it's gonna take for them to realize the issues with the show were conceptual, and the deeper meaning of that.

$150M is plenty to make a blockbuster Nighttime Spectacular. While it was sad to lose Illuminations: ROE, the impulse to do something new was understandable. They were replacing a hugely successful show after 20 years. That show featured no Disney Studio IP, no famous music, no classic characters, and was massively popular.

It's almost like simply throwing a ton of money at misplaced characters and ill-considered infrastructure doesn't actually work for their audience. Which I would caution them to notice, since that is very nearly all they are doing in the parks these days.

Well on your last point it was Chapek who tried to embody an Eisner-ism of 'People like the songs of our animated films, what if we turned it into an Epcot firework show'.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Well on your last point it was Chapek who tried to embody an Eisner-ism of 'People like the songs of our animated films, what if we turned it into an Epcot firework show'.

Honestly, Harm! would still be running IMO if they would have spent the money to make it to where they could have moved the equipment in and out of the lagoon.

I think I remember someone saying that Ops was worried about the time it would take to move it all in place and that it would disrupt traffic flow in WS for too long based on the speed and size of the equipment.

Squishy

I'm not aware of anything in the new show that will be ground breaking like RoL or Harmonious. Everything I know about it suggests it will be a solid firework show.
Do you know what the 16 mini barges that they're building backstage are going to be used for?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom