News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I agree I don’t want that. Just fix it. But I’d rather them do that and keep dinosaurs than redo to some zootopia crap
If you make a Zootopia Ride, you'll attract furries.

Costume Field GIF by Drunk History

TTA94

IDK, I actually would like to see Entertainment in high gear because of Epic! It's not like they haven't done that before......

Im curious what’s next in the pipeline for larger entertainment after Epcot show. Currently there are no known plans.

monothingie

Premium Member
hey could redo the dinosaur ride to be more tame and kid friendly and reimagine Chester and Hester’s disasterland. Keep the playground and boneyard and spinner
I mean thanks to recent releases, The Good Dinosaur is no longer the worst performing Pixar movie ever. I smell some redemption profits!

Squishy

Im curious what’s next in the pipeline for larger entertainment after Epcot show. Currently there are no known plans.
DAK really needs a nighttime show, they just need to bite the bullet and go for a WoC show instead of wasting money attempting mediocre experiences that last only 1-3 years. I do wonder if TDO execs think that fountain shows don't work especially after RoL, Harmonious & Universal's mini WoC clone failed..

monothingie

Premium Member
DAK really needs a nighttime show, they just need to bite the bullet and go for a WoC show instead of wasting money attempting mediocre experiences that last only 1-3 years. I do wonder if TDO execs think that fountain shows don't work especially after RoL, Harmonious & Universal's mini WoC clone failed..
There's been speculation of a parade returning to the MK for years, with people swearing it's coming every year.

There is something coming for EPCOT which may have already been cut back. (And IMO will be further cut back or scrapped entirely if the parks don't pull out of their slump)

There still has been no replacement and likely never will be a replacement for the the ROL mess at DAK which cost them a ton.

MagicHappens1971

There still has been no replacement and likely never will be a replacement for the the ROL mess at DAK which cost them a ton.
Not unless they take a real comprehensive approach to try to make DAK a “full-day” nighttime park. It’s such a shame too bedside Pandora was basically built to be experienced at night and this time of year it’s nearly impossible to see it at night

monothingie

Premium Member
Not unless they take a real comprehensive approach to try to make DAK a “full-day” nighttime park. It’s such a shame too bedside Pandora was basically built to be experienced at night and this time of year it’s nearly impossible to see it at night
It doesn't make money when you have 1/3 of the park close at dark, because the animals don't cooperate or the attractions don't draw people at night (Kali River Rapids). The Safari ride alone is incredibly expensive to run. Take out the Lion King and Nemo which will not run past late afternoon, and what do you have left? Pandora, Everest, and Dinosaur. They need at least 4 more D/E ticket attractions to make the park a viable morning to night park.

MagicHappens1971

It doesn't make money when you have 1/3 of the park close at dark, because the animals don't cooperate or the attractions don't draw people at night (Kali River Rapids). The Safari ride alone is incredibly expensive to run. Take out the Lion King and Nemo which will not run past late afternoon, and what do you have left? Pandora, Everest, and Dinosaur. They need at least 4 more D/E ticket attractions to make the park a viable morning to night park.
I agree, that’s why I was saying a “real comprehensive” effort. If this Moana/Zootopia expansion yields and net positive attractions, that would be great.

Squishy

They will most likely wait for Zootopia or Moana to open before they reintroduce nighttime hours & entertainment

TTA94

There's been speculation of a parade returning to the MK for years, with people swearing it's coming every year.

There is something coming for EPCOT which may have already been cut back. (And IMO will be further cut back or scrapped entirely if the parks don't pull out of their slump)

Well @wdwmagic already said there are parade plans. Just depends if it survives being cut. It will likely be cut if they don’t feel it’s necessary.

For Epcot are you referring to the new nighttime show or something else?

doctornick

and with how IP focused Disney is I can't see them investing in a concept that is more associated with Universal

i would love an amazing Dinosaur themed area but would still likely associate dinosaurs with Universal just b/c of Jurassic Park/World

Universal's IP is associated with "something goes wrong" with dinosaurs. A very distinct contrast with that would be something where you actually learn about the majesty of dinosaurs and get to (calmly) enjoy them. Having a ride like UoE in Dinoland where you can learn about and see impressive (AA) Dinosaurs would actually be solid counter programming to Uni and be right in Disney's wheelhouse of family entertainment.

doctornick

Right, but you don't buff up the offerings by replacing Dinosaur (the ride) and Primeval Whirl. They need additions. Another ride in Pandora, something else in Asia and/or Africa, even a full new land on the large plot north of Asia - that's what the park needs so there are plenty of activities available all day. If all they do is Zootopia/Moana, it will basically be a crapload of money and end up no better than before.

MagicHappens1971

Right, but you don't buff up the offerings by replacing Dinosaur (the ride) and Primeval Whirl. They need additions. Another ride in Pandora, something else in Asia and/or Africa, even a full new land on the large plot north of Asia - that's what the park needs so there are plenty of activities available all day. If all they do is Zootopia/Moana, it will basically be a crapload of money and end up no better than before.
Yeah that’s kind of why I said “if there are net positives”. Which I don’t think there will be.

Pandora, Asia & Africa all need new attractions.

MagicHappens1971

Absolutely, I was agreeing with you so sorry that wasn't clear. Disney is approaching DAK investments completely wrong.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Moana aspect of retheming Chester/Hester, while intricately themed, the theme is so poor & cheesy.

I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with it happening in the grand scheme of things. The problem is that it’s “easier” to plug the IPs into this part of the park and is why they’re approaching it first.

Realistically, a new attraction should already be under construction for Pandora, while development finishes up for new attractions in Asia & Africa, and once all of that is finished is when you could take a quarter of the park offline for an IP-infusion.

doctornick

Generally agree, but why can't Lion King and Nemo run later in the day? You may need to hire another shift of performers, but I don't see any intrinsic reason they couldn't have more shows.

Kamikaze

And this is one of the exceptions, I feel. The land is so bad its beyond saving. Tear it out and replace it. Save expansion plots for the next thing.

Unless you're going to use the expansion plots now and then replace Dinoland with something (anything) else later. I'd have to look at the map of the plots and see if doing it that way is possible.

doctornick

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Moana aspect of retheming Chester/Hester, while intricately themed, the theme is so poor & cheesy.

I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with it happening in the grand scheme of things. The problem is that it’s “easier” to plug the IPs into this part of the park and is why they’re approaching it first.

Realistically, a new attraction should already be under construction for Pandora, while development finishes up for new attractions in Asia & Africa, and once all of that is finished is when you could take a quarter of the park offline for an IP-infusion.

I'm actually on board for the Moana side of things too. PW is gone so at this point, adding in the Moana boat ride would be a net addition and if they can make that area better themed rather than the carnival, it would be a positive in terms improving the park. There was even talk of some animal enclosures in the area as they change it to something like "Oceania" which would be minor but good.

It's Zootopia that is the problem. It's mind bogglingly stupid to spend a ton of money to replace a perfectly good land and ride with Dinoland USA/Dinosaur with Zootopia. If anything, they should be adding a separate additional Dinosaur themed ride which is family friendly/not intense rather than removing that area of the park.

And if they really had to add Zootopia to the park - it doesn't fit but whatever - then they should be doing it as a brand new build and additional land to allow for more offerings.

But I totally agree that if I were in charge, I would be adding another ride to Pandora and at least one of Asia or Africa right now. Heck, should have started construction a year or two ago. There's edges of the existing footprint that can be used without shutting down anything and keeping capacity at at least the current levels.

doctornick

And this is one of the exceptions, I feel. The land is so bad its beyond saving. Tear it out and replace it.

You think Dinoland USA is "beyond saving"? Why? Boneyard is great, the theming is generally quite good and Dinosaur the ride just needs a refurb. It was wonderful as original constructed and just has fallen into disrepair. The land could use another family friendly dinosaur themed attraction but that could be done without tearing up what is there.

Dinorama as a subland is pretty lousy and I would agree with replacing that but doing so doesn't mean they have to get ride of the rest of Dinoland USA. Making Dinorama Moana themed and using that and Nemo as an Oceania land is a pretty solid idea that keeps the rest of Dinoland USA intact.

mattpeto

They will most likely wait for Zootopia or Moana to open before they reintroduce nighttime hours & entertainment

I agree.

I don't want to say never, but I don't see a nighttime show for AK for years.

I'm just hoping the course correction (see WDW discounts) starts sparking some discussion on returning WDW experience to it's former state. It will be interesting to see what their next major move is, but you would think it would start at AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom