News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

TheMaxRebo

you think they could deliver a new attraction or even land by 2025 at the rate they build?

They seem to be going pretty fast with TBA ... IF (and a big if) the rumors were right and the Moana area in AK was greenlit and they have started work on stuff for that, I could see that part of the Dinoland area being done by the end of 2025

But they also may largely take 2025 off and yield it to Epic Universe but have multiple things in progress so the people that check out WDW while in the area for EU can potentially get motivated to come back in the future

doctornick

One new attraction / year of some substance should be the norm for a place like WDW.

I think that's even underselling it. Should be more like ~2 new offerings each year (could be a new ride and a new show, etc) and every other year should be more substantial (a new land or multiple offerings). There's 4 parks, having each one get "something new" sometime over a a 4 year people should be the expectation. (Not to mention the water parks as well, but they can be addressed with less frequency.)

bmr1591

They seem to be going pretty fast with TBA ... IF (and a big if) the rumors were right and the Moana area in AK was greenlit and they have started work on stuff for that, I could see that part of the Dinoland area being done by the end of 2025

But they also may largely take 2025 off and yield it to Epic Universe but have multiple things in progress so the people that check out WDW while in the area for EU can potentially get motivated to come back in the future

Fast? They’re redecorating a ride that already has the entire ride system set up for them and it’s going to take almost two years. In what world is that fast?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

It’s a lot easier on an existing attraction.

TheMaxRebo

Fast? They’re redecorating a ride that already has the entire ride system set up for them and it’s going to take almost two years. In what world is that fast?

In this world .... And they are both to be done by end of 2024 and DLR's just closed, so closer to 28 months. For a ride of this scale, and especially a water ride, that is pretty fast

Very different pace compared to the past ~5 years.

bmr1591

In this world .... And they are both to be done by end of 2024 and DLR's just closed, so closer to 28 months. For a ride of this scale, and especially a water ride, that is pretty fast

Very different pace compared to the past ~5 years.

Fast compared to Disney's last ten years doesn't mean fast in general.

Squishy

you think they could deliver a new attraction or even land by 2025 at the rate they build?
Zootopia is supposed to be a retheme of Dinosaur so they could have it done by late 2025 especially after pressure will start mounting about Epic Universe opening that same year.

Squishy

Zootopia retheme of dinosaur does nothing in my opinion and if that’s their reaction to Epic that’s sad. They need expansion is every park. MORE things
That likely will be there reaction to Epic along with some entertainment as Moana & MK expansions will be nowhere near ready.

TDLFan

The fact that they're giving up on the idea of Dinosaurs...in Animal Kingdom...animals that have captured the imaginations of basically every child...with the potential to create unparalleled experiences...yet Disney feels that area would be better suited for something like Moana, speaks volumes about the misdirection of the company. After seeing Galaxies Edge, I'm almost certain a modern dinosaur land by Disney would forgo the idea of actual dinosaurs and instead have 4 roaming chickens in the land to show how far they've progressed.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
So we're a little more than 6 months till the end of the year and no serious PR effort yet? I want to say that at this point with H! we had nuggets of information and promos.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The fact that they're giving up on the idea of Dinosaurs...in Animal Kingdom...animals that have captured the imaginations of basically every child...with the potential to create unparalleled experiences...yet Disney feels that area would be better suited for something like Moana, speaks volumes about the misdirection of the company. After seeing Galaxies Edge, I'm almost certain a modern dinosaur land by Disney would forgo the idea of actual dinosaurs and instead have 4 roaming chickens in the land to show how far they've progressed.
If baffles me with so many young boys liking dinosaurs how bad they’ve botched this area. They could redo the dinosaur ride to be more tame and kid friendly and reimagine Chester and Hester’s disasterland. Keep the playground and boneyard and spinner

If they want more DEI, have more things for young boys like they offer for young girls.

Weather_Lady

I agree. I wonder if they're too scared of the inevitable comparisons to Universal's Jurassic World at Islands of Adventure, which has a fun dinosaur boat ride with animatronic dinos, a spectacular rollercoaster, a play area and a kiddie ride, in addition to the usual complementary collection of gift shops, CS restaurants, etc. Disney would be starting with a worse-for-wear dark ride and a play area, and trying to expand them into a full-fledged land in ways that don't copy what Universal has already done, with no new IP to guide them (and they seem to have real trouble imagining things these days that don't spring directly from an IP.)

I love dinosaurs as much as anyone else, and believe Disney has the ability to do something amazing with a Dinosaur land -- but I don't think current Disney management has the courage or the will to be that inventive.

Touchdown

This exists, but only in China. If Disney built a ride like this where the climax is a T-Rex chasing you it would blow the socks off of the JPA. Uni is never going to build this stateside because they already have the JPA. No reason Disney can’t build a non IP version of this, except for the IP mandate.

TheMaxRebo

I agree. I wonder if they're too scared of the inevitable comparisons to Universal's Jurassic World at Islands of Adventure, which has a fun dinosaur boat ride with animatronic dinos, a spectacular rollercoaster, a play area and a kiddie ride, in addition to the usual complementary collection of gift shops, CS restaurants, etc. Disney would be starting with a worse-for-wear dark ride and a play area, and trying to expand them into a full-fledged land in ways that don't copy what Universal has already done, with no new IP to guide them (and they seem to have real trouble imagining things these days that don't spring directly from an IP.)

I love dinosaurs as much as anyone else, and believe Disney has the ability to do something amazing with a Dinosaur land -- but I don't think current Disney management has the courage or the will to be that inventive.

and with how IP focused Disney is I can't see them investing in a concept that is more associated with Universal

i would love an amazing Dinosaur themed area but would still likely associate dinosaurs with Universal just b/c of Jurassic Park/World

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom