News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

James Alucobond

Disney Hello GIF by O&O, Inc

Vegas Disney Fan

Photo of the first barge being dismantled.

As unpopular as the barges were I liked the screens and the lights attached to them, without the arm in the middle I still think they could have worked, had they been 10 feet skinnier they could have been moved in and out of the marina everyday and a good addition to the show.

I know it won’t happen but the 4 LED barges could be reworked and reused, dress up the bottom so it doesn’t look like an industrial barge, make them skinnier, and store them backstage during the day and they could be a plus. There was no way to fix the stargate though, I’ll celebrate with everyone else the day that disappears from the Lagoon.

Maintenance issues and cost will make cutting them up the cheaper option though, what a waste.

trainplane3

Looking at the construction pictures of Harmonious, this makes it look like they aren't saving the LED panels at all? When being built the barges had a bare lattice structure to support the screens. That structure is on the ground and you can't see through it, so it implies the screens aren't going to be reused?

note2001

I didn't like the barges, but from a financial standpoint I hate to see such a big investment scrapped so soon after it was built.
Clearly Disney misread their audience in planning and building this. An expensive mistake to join the trash pile.
Maybe Disney can take the LED panels and submerge them in the ocean to create artificial reefs, with a touch of imagineering it could open up a whole new world of clients - charge the octopus for 8 arms to climb on it. Charge the little fish parking fees to hide from the big fish.

Flash a few Disney commercials for the divers.

GrumpyFan

Maybe Disney can take the LED panels and submerge them in the ocean to create artificial reefs, with a touch of imagineering it could open up a whole new world of clients - charge the octopus for 8 arms to climb on it. Charge the little fish parking fees to hide from the big fish.

Flash a few Disney commercials for the divers.
Funny!
But seriously, couldn't they re-locate them to the water parks and incorporate them there somehow?

Jambo Dad

I didn't like the barges, but from a financial standpoint I hate to see such a big investment scrapped so soon after it was built.
Clearly Disney misread their audience in planning and building this. An expensive mistake to join the trash pile.
Agreed - but it is sunk cost that doesn’t have bearing on what to spend going forward. Also, unintended ‘sunk’ pun. You’re welcome.

Sir_Cliff

One would think that the LED screens could be repurposed somewhere on property, but who knows.
Again, I kind of feel like if nowhere at WDW is really going to be improved by the addition of giant, taco-shaped LED screens then they should just scrap them. No point ruining somewhere else with this infrastructure just because "we already paid for it."

Last edited:

mysto

One would think that the LED screens could be repurposed somewhere on property, but who knows.
Custom built they can't practically be re-shaped into a square, that half circle shape would be difficult to use somewhere else. Each pixel is controlled by tiny "wires" in an x/y grid silicone sandwich, if they cut the panel it would be very hard to find the ends of all those tiny wires.

note2001

Custom built they can't practically be re-shaped into a square, that half circle shape would be difficult to use somewhere else. Each pixel is controlled by tiny "wires" in an x/y grid silicone sandwich, if they cut the panel it would be very hard to find the ends of all those tiny wires.
Just submerge them and let the native species do the work. This is why they have schools for fish - fingineering degrees for all!

It is rather hard to find good wire clippers that don't slip out of their little fins though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom