EPCOT's Future World to become Discoveryland on October 1??

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
8. Horizons - opening, closing & sinking. Or not.

9. Journey into YOUR Imagination

10. Alien Encounter being too scary for kids - why wen`t they warned?

imagineer boy

13. I heard that they were going to built a land at AK called "Beastly Kingdomme." Can anyone confirm if they're ever going to build this?

wdwcastwannabe

TheDisneyBoy said:
Didn't we go through this a few years ago? I hate when old rumors "resurface"...it's just so boring. What was determined with that whole Project Gemini thing? Was it an actual idea that got scrapped, or just a "figment of someone's imagination"?

as far as project gemini was concerned, when i was a cm in the cdn pavilion at epcot from march 02-03 i can remember speaking with the vp of epcot every now and then and he was very excited about it...he wouldn't go into direct detail but would often express great joy and suggest that we just wait and see all the exciting things that would happen to the park...my personal take on it is this:

he had a reputation for being very honest and was showing genuine excitement. why would the man who is in charge of epcot share this with cast members if it wasn't true? there is no doubt that it was in the cards, but just never came to be...as far as he was concerned M:S was just the beginning for greater things to come...

Skippy

Hmmm...

This sounds like a great list of "Things WDWmagic Members Should Know" to be sent out to every new user...

14. Any appearance of the one and only Ladder

Crazy Harry

SirGoofy said:
Yea Jim isn't the most reliable person.

He may not be reliable, but certainly knows how to get people's attension and keep them talking about him.

Anyways, I don't thing gemini was abandoned but was just downsized. Epcot has still undergone many changes that can be associated with gemini. Mission space, soarin', living seas rehab to nemo, land rehab, closure of WOL (i think this latest opening was it's last horah), with atleast a few things yet to come. It's more significant changes than future world has seen in the rest of it's existence.

DisneyDellsDude

You must have forgot what project Gemini stood for...

__HoGwarts
SpacEship Earth Rollercoaster
____Monorail Expansion
____Indiana Jones Adventure
____New Gate
___JIm Hill

:p :p

jedimaster1227

16. Eisner was the only one to blame for Disney's past errors.
17. Robert Iger will fix ALL of Walt Disney World's problems
18. Rumors heard from a Transportation Cast Member
19. Anonymous Sources
20. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS :lol: ;) :lol:

imagineer boy

DisneyDellsDude said:
You must have forgot what project Gemini stood for...

__HoGwarts
SpacEship Earth Rollercoaster
____Monorail Expansion
____Indiana Jones Adventure
____New Gate
___JIm Hill

:p :p jk

Awesome!:lol: :sohappy:

DisneySaint

Discoveryland is a really bad name. But at the same time, what about "Future World" is really futuristic anymore? I sincerely hope that for the 25th aniversary we see a refurb of Future World to make it more "modernly futuristic".

CaptainMichael

DisneyJoey said:
Discoveryland is a really bad name. But at the same time, what about "Future World" is really futuristic anymore? I sincerely hope that for the 25th aniversary we see a refurb of Future World to make it more "modernly futuristic".
I really don't think that the "modernly futuristic" concept works for Epcot anymore. I think Discovery World fits better. The future is best left to Tomorrowland.

Epcot82Guy

I agree that the "modernly futuristic" doesn't work. My person takes would be:
1. "Future Worlds Fair" to go along with the entire concept of FW but explain that this is more of a technology showcase than a glimpse into the future.
OR
2. "Discovery Center" which pulls back the original EPCOT Center name while still pushing away from the "future" theme which has been lost. Discovery World (which is MUCH better than Discoveryland) just doesn't have the ring to it to me.

I am just glad that no rumors are floating around now about the "Global Village" change. That is perhaps the most trite name change I could come up with for World Showcase. Just imagine... Illiminations showing on the beautiful Global Village Pond. Wow... sounds impressive... :hurl:

DisneyBuff

when I was a CP in fall 2003 there was great deal of talk about the renaming and theming of Future World to Discoveryland. In the back we there were even some models and stetches of what it was going to look like, of course this was all part of the Gemini Project. But at the time it was all hands on deck for the idea. Even some of the higher ups that we met with for career advice talked about the renaming and new theming. I remember one of the things was to bring in ALOT more landscaping inside the area to break up concert and to relocate the Legacy stones to outside of the park.

It was an interesting plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom