Epcot wand coming down?

KrazyKowboy

Did someone say TIME WARP??

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]<OBJECT height=350 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bL_7MGM3n4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT>
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
</P>
Loved the video, thanks for sharing :sohappy:

Ya'll need to stop worrying about stupid things like wands and a hats when you're in Disney World.:lol:

There's nothing you can do about either so stop wasting your energy on this and enjoy your vacations.

I see lots of ugly people at Disney World, but I don't spend my time thinking about offing them...I'm too busy focusing on the fun I'm having.:D

I vote for offing the ugly people !!! Then we won't need Fast Pass, and most attractions would be walk-on !! I'll swap that for the hat and wand anyday !!! :lol:

Magicot

I hope they take that wand down sooner than later. It just seems like a no brainer why they should have taken it down in the first place. When WDW's 25th was over, the cake was removed, when The HCOE ended, they took off the golden decorations, why not the same with the Millenium Celebration? Can anyone truly give me an answer as to why the wand was never removed but rather just altered?:veryconfu

DarkMeasures

</P>
Loved the video, thanks for sharing :sohappy:

I vote for offing the ugly people !!! Then we won't need Fast Pass, and most attractions would be walk-on !! I'll swap that for the hat and wand anyday !!! :lol:

I love going to Rocky Horror midnight showings. For the halloween one, I dressed up as Quailman and won the costume contest.

Main Street USA

So why exactly did they want to hide the Chinese Theatre with the hat in MGM? I don't get it... :veryconfu
This was explained a page or two back.

MGM was lacking a noticable icon..........was originally intended that the Earful Tower was the icon............but with it being backstage it wasn't working well...........people started seeing the Chinese theatre as the icon.......so.........BAM......hat. ;)

sambahat

This was explained a page or two back.

MGM was lacking a noticable icon..........was originally intended that the Earful Tower was the icon............but with it being backstage it wasn't working well...........people started seeing the Chinese theatre as the icon.......so.........BAM......hat. ;)

I knew that they wanted a new icon, but I thought Lee's statement implied that they specifically wanted to cover up the theatre.

kcnole

THey can't use the chinese theatre as the icon and it was becoming that. So they covered it up so it wouldn't be so visible and less considered as the official icon and also created their own icon with the hat. They basically killed two birds with one stone. I don't like it, but tha's what they did.

JLW11Hi

Remember when Disney was announcing the construction of the hat, and when they publicized it they were talking up this "special effect" that was supposed to happen from this "special paint" they were putting on it? ....yeah, I never did figure out what the heck they were talking about. Its big and its blue, no effect I can see.

And at night, the hat practically dissapears into the dark sky. It barely stands out except for a few lights they shine on it.

Main Street USA

Remember when Disney was announcing the construction of the hat, and when they publicized it they were talking up this "special effect" that was supposed to happen from this "special paint" they were putting on it? ....yeah, I never did figure out what the heck they were talking about. Its big and its blue, no effect I can see.

And at night, the hat practically dissapears into the dark sky. It barely stands out except for a few lights they shine on it.
I always thought the nighttime effects of the hat were very neat. If you've ever sat and watched it as the lights come on, it's really cool.

It gradually lights up over the course of about 30 minutes, and various effects from inside the ears and on the hat itself go in and out.

During the day, the paint defintely has a color changing effect to it, as well.

Rayray

Not so much...while i agree with you, If you look at it from google earth it's off centered :cool: ...Im sorry, Im a mathmatition. I can't help but be picky about poportions and cymetry :hammer:...I knew I just had to say it or I would explode :dazzle:.

:king: ~Leash

As an MEngr. , I must say that the picture you are referring to may have played a shadow trick on you. If the shadow was to the left or right, then a sliver of shadow may make your observation incorrect.;)

I don't know for sure. I'm just sayin'.

JLW11Hi

I always thought the nighttime effects of the hat were very neat. If you've ever sat and watched it as the lights come on, it's really cool.

It gradually lights up over the course of about 30 minutes, and various effects from inside the ears and on the hat itself go in and out.

During the day, the paint defintely has a color changing effect to it, as well.

really?? I keep hearing this, but I just don't see it! I mean, I know the ears have lights in them, with the stars, but I just don't see anything else happening on that hat. Maybe I have bad eyesight. :dazzle: :)

Rob562

As an MEngr. , I must say that the picture you are referring to may have played a shadow trick on you. If the shadow was to the left or right, then a sliver of shadow may make your observation incorrect.;)

I don't know for sure. I'm just sayin'.

I, too, originally thought it was off-center, going from the images on Google Earth, etc. But then I noticed that it *is* a trick of the photo, though not a shadow, as Ray suggested.

Look at the photo:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...177,-81.550143&spn=0.001635,0.003369&t=k&om=1

The problem is that this is not a true "straight down" view of it. It's slightly off of a perpendicular view. If you look, you can see the entire eastern side of Spaceship Earth's post-show building. So, the camera was "tilted" slightly westward when it took the camera. (Or, when it took the photo it *was* aimed perpendicular to the ground at the point is was focused at, but as you go away from that point you start seeing the sides of buildings at an angle due to the viewing angle of the photo lens. Look at the Cast Services building behind Mexico. You can't really see its' eastern wall at all, so the photo angle is closer to perpendicular there) It's this off-angle view that makes SSE appear to be un-centered.

-Rob

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I, too, originally thought it was off-center, going from the images on Google Earth, etc. But then I noticed that it *is* a trick of the photo, though not a shadow, as Ray suggested.

Look at the photo:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...177,-81.550143&spn=0.001635,0.003369&t=k&om=1

The problem is that this is not a true "straight down" view of it. It's slightly off of a perpendicular view. If you look, you can see the entire eastern side of Spaceship Earth's post-show building. So, the camera was "tilted" slightly westward when it took the camera. (Or, when it took the photo it *was* aimed perpendicular to the ground at the point is was focused at, but as you go away from that point you start seeing the sides of buildings at an angle due to the viewing angle of the photo lens. Look at the Cast Services building behind Mexico. You can't really see its' eastern wall at all, so the photo angle is closer to perpendicular there) It's this off-angle view that makes SSE appear to be un-centered.

-Rob

If the photo was taken from space, or high altitude the curvature of the earth distorts the image.

hauntdmansion79

To recap:
The wand takes away from the size and impressive structure of Spaceship Earth. The wand is 2D and appears cardboard when up close, they should have at least made it a 3D model. The SSE ball has always alone stood as the Epcot icon and still could and should.

The hat is nice looking (again SOME 2D cardboard-looking stuff) but it's the location that bothers most people. But as Lee pointed out, it was intentionally placed to hide the Chinese Theater, so it's not going anywhere. But it could house something better than a giftshop, that's for sure.

I always make sure I walk around the hat and get a good picture of us standing in front of the Chinese Theater, to give it respect and props....plus it hides one of the best attractions in WDW and the hat probably causes people to miss it. At least when the theater was in plain view it made people say "hey, what the heck is in there?...let's go check it out".

Lastly, I always get excited when I see a postcard or promotional shot of the Epcot ball without the wand. A lot of Disney merchandise and promo photos don't have the wand in them, which makes me think that they also may be thinking of removing it. Who knows.

Main Street USA

really?? I keep hearing this, but I just don't see it! I mean, I know the ears have lights in them, with the stars, but I just don't see anything else happening on that hat. Maybe I have bad eyesight. :dazzle: :)
Ha, yeah. Although, before I sat and watched it for that longer period of time, I didn't think much of the effects either, so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom