EPCOT Update: AT&T & Pure and Simple Gone, and What's Left of Food Rocks

SirNim

DarkMeasures said:
On my band trip, all the Punk kids went on Spaceship Earth and they said they loved it, along with CoP... ...
Great to hear! They are two quality attractions that forge deep and memorable connections with nearly all the Guests who experience them. :)

Michael72688

MichRX7 said:
Hmm...lessee...you live near Orlando, you are almost 17 years old, you are looking for a "bigger better ride" that is "fun and exciting".

My question is, what are you doing at EPCOT?

Personally I think SSE is a great ride especially for families that are traveling to FL. Probably not so good for teens who live in the area. I'm not trying to slam you, I can imagine if I was 17 and went to wdw a rediculous amount of time that I'd be sick of SSE too...

Thats the thing I'm not at Epcot, and neither is a huge chunk of the market, teens. Now I know, most teens on here love Epcot for some reason. But the majority of teens outside of here hate Epcot and always will, me being one of them. Epcot always has and always will have a bad reputation with teens unless they do something huge

netenyahoo

Well, maybe by the time they do anything about it you will have grown up and like the park. Enjoy it for what it does have. No Disney park is a thrill park as there are rides for everyone.

jrashadb

Michael72688 said:
Thats the thing I'm not at Epcot, and neither is a huge chunk of the market, teens. Now I know, most teens on here love Epcot for some reason. But the majority of teens outside of here hate Epcot and always will, me being one of them. Epcot always has and always will have a bad reputation with teens unless they do something huge

Then don't come. Continue to stay away. Go to IOA and ride roller coasters. There's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want to do.
Meanwhile, Epcot is the second-most visited theme park in the world, right behoind the MK. I'm pretty sure they're not hurting for visitors.

Meanwhile, It's odd that you say teens hate Epcot. Everytime I go to Epcot, I see kids all over the damn place.They're everywhere. But, whatever.

And, I'm sick of having to defend SSE against thrill junkies who want everything to be a roller coaster. I love roller coasters and I have a lot of fun on them. But, I also appreciate other kinds of rides. The ride needs to be refurbished a bit, but it doesn't need to be gutted and turned into a roller coaster.

ugh.

Michael72688

jrashadb said:
Then don't come. Continue to stay away. Go to IOA and ride roller coasters. There's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want to do.
Meanwhile, Epcot is the second-most visited theme park in the world, right behoind the MK. I'm pretty sure they're not hurting for visitors.

Meanwhile, It's odd that you say teens hate Epcot. Everytime I go to Epcot, I see kids all over the damn place.They're everywhere. But, whatever.

And, I'm sick of having to defend SSE against thrill junkies who want everything to be a roller coaster. I love roller coasters and I have a lot of fun on them. But, I also appreciate other kinds of rides. The ride needs to be refurbished a bit, but it doesn't need to be gutted and turned into a roller coaster.

ugh.

I didn't ever say SSE should be a rollercoaster, it just needs a serious change, its way too old. Also I wonder how many of those kids you see there said oh I really want to go to Epcot or were told thats where they were going to go that day. Also yes Epcot is the second most visited park and yes it had a slight bump up this past year, but it was the park that had the steepest decline after 9/11 people didn't want to waste their money at a park like that. I understand that people like Epcot, but all I'm trying to say is if Disney wants Epcot to be an all around successful park they should think about making some huge changes and maybe Epcot could beat MK in the numbers, but that isnt going to happen untill Disney, who owns this "family resort" realizes that Epcot needs to appeal to the entire family!

jrashadb

Michael72688 said:
I didn't ever say SSE should be a rollercoaster, it just needs a serious change, its way too old. Also I wonder how many of those kids you see there said oh I really want to go to Epcot or were told thats where they were going to go that day. Also yes Epcot is the second most visited park and yes it had a slight bump up this past year, but it was the park that had the steepest decline after 9/11 people didn't want to waste their money at a park like that. I understand that people like Epcot, but all I'm trying to say is if Disney wants Epcot to be an all around successful park they should think about making some huge changes and maybe Epcot could beat MK in the numbers, but that isnt going to happen untill Disney, who owns this "family resort" realizes that Epcot needs to appeal to the entire family!

OK.
So, I'm actually not trying to be a jerk or be flippant here but, what would you suggest for SSE? I think the last third of the ride is bad, but I think the rest of it was fine. What would you do to change it?
As for the kids who are there, they all seem to be pleased with being there. I've gone to Epcot with kids a bunch of times, and they always seem to be having a great time.
And, yeah, the attendance at Epcot did go down after 9/11. The attendance at all the parks went down after 9/11. But, people are coming back and they're coming back to Epcot. The MK is always goingto be the most popular park. that's just the way it is. But, Epcot is still goig strong.
Epcot is a family park, actually. It's got something for everyone. It's more of an adult park than the MK, I'll admit, but it's supposed to be. And, it still has things for the entire family to enjoy. You just have to allow yourself to have fun instead constantly looking for the negative.

dizneeboy

Was just there a couple weeks ago and the att sign on the finale where is says "Bringing people together anywhere anytime" (see Grizz's pics)thats covered up looks tacky. Couldn't the have replace that instead of taping black paper over it?? Bad show.

cloudboy

So the 17 year olds don't like Future World. Ther eare a heck of a lot of other age groups that visit the parks, too. I hear so much about how Epcot is'nt attracting the kids, and all the kids are goig someplace else. Wait a minute - first of all, like it or not 17 year olds don't spend a ton of money - they simply havn't got it to spend. Sure they don't have high expenses, but the 16-20 group usually does not have a ton of extra cash and have a hard time getting there in the first place. Secondly, you can't focus everything on just one age group. MGM seems to be the place for that age group - it is more in keeping with their tastes anyway. Magic Kingdom (while it is very entertaining and popular for everyone) is home to the youngest guests, World Showcase attracts the explorere and nature types, usually either a bit older OR young families, and World Showcase seems to be more for the quieter older types. So why does Epcot have to be for kids - what abou tthe people looking for something a little different and who normally would not even choose a theme park?

Epcot is unfortunately completely missing it's mark lately by concentrating on the same group that wants to go everywhere else. There is a huge market that like it or not, isn't really into the parks and rides - Epcot gives them a justification to come, and a good compromize for families that other wise would have to choose between a theme park or another destination.

Chape19714

Michael72688 said:
Islands of Adventure has rides for everyone, but that park is a million times better then Epcot will ever be.

No offence, but i completely dissagree to that statement. I went to EPCOT with friends who go to IoA all the time and they were very plesently surprised. I love all the Disney Parks, which all have things for everyone. we brought my grandmother to EPCOT and she loved it, my 8 yr. old brother loved it, my 12 year old bro. loved it, i loved it (as always), and the other adults loved it. so it has something for everyone. my mom did not like IoA, niether did I. It's just not up to the standards that EPCOT has, they are completely different parks, but EPCOT has higher standards. Agian no offence to you. Just stating a point. :D

LiveStrong

Account Suspended
Michael72688 said:
Islands of Adventure has rides for everyone, but that park is a million times better then Epcot will ever be.

No offense Mikey, but this is exactly why I stay away from Universal when I come to Orlando. For the people who think IoA is even in the same category as Epcot, then you've got it all wrong!

EPCOT is an experience for your entire family, its a place for you to come ride the rides, but also get a little knowledge out of it. It seems todays kid's would rather pay money to see someone kicked in the groin or hit in the face with a bat, or ride a rollercoaster, rather than actually view something that has some educational and moral value to it.

Spaceship Earth, and EPCOT in general, is a entertainment marvel. It's managed to bring in millions of people each year, entertain them, as well as educate them. In no way am I saying SSE is the greatest ride on Earth, but what I am saying is this: EPCOT as a park should be appreciated for what it is: an opprutunity to bridge the gaps between generations and countries, all in one small area, while educating and entertaining all at the same time.

I love SSE, I love EPCOT. I always have and always will, as long as they keep the theme of education and entertainment intact. Although I enjoyed M:S and TT, they are not EPCOT attractions I don't think; although they are themed well with the area.

So if you love IOA, then great, but EPCOT and dare I say, WDW, is not for you. You seek an entirely different type of place.

A less magical one.

Number_6

To further illustrate the point of just how much Epcot is a great park for the whole family(and I apologize that I am going to start by repeating a small amount of what I said previously), I've been going to it since a year or two after it opened. That means the first year that I went to Epcot, I was about... 7 years old, I think. I loved it. Every time I have gone back there since then, I have loved it. In that time, I have grown through my teenage years, and am now a semi-responsible adult with two kids. I took my kids there and they love it. My kids are about to have their birthdays and they will be turning 5 and 8. I wanted to get my grandparents out of the cold in January this past year, and so for Christmas, I gave them a Disney World vacation. They spent alot of their time at Epcot walking the World Showcase. So no matter how young, or how old someone is, there is always something that is going to appeal to them. And that is what makes Epcot, and Disney Parks in general, so great.

I'm not saying other parks down there are no good and only Disney has good parks. I really can't in all honesty say that because I haven't been to Universal in over 10 years, so I have no idea about how it looks now. That also means I haven't seen IoA, but I can deal with that since I just love the Disney parks so much. If I decide I want a change for a day, I usually choose SeaWorld because I love going and seeing the shows there and checking out the ocean life. By all means, if you feel that Epcot is no good and needs to target the teens more, then you really are missing the point and I feel bad that you are because you really are missing something wonderful. But by the same token, if you are happy with IoA then have fun there and enjoy it. I only hope that a few years down the line, something will click and you will realize just what an experience Epcot truly is.

jrashadb

Yow wow... it's the reinforcements! :lol:

As anyone can see, Epcot has plenty of fans, and for good reason.
I won't repeat all the things that have been said here. Just know that regardless of some of the poor decisions that have been made in the park recently, it is still going strong and is still very, very popular... even if the 17-year-olds don't like it.

FigmentJedi

Michael72688 said:
[Rant time!]Obviously, you don't like to learn and keep an open mind. That must be why you hate Epcot. To quote Walt Disney "Anything is interesting as long as you keep an open mind" or something close to that. Open your mind, and you'll appreciate these "boring and lame" rides that Epcot has. Or at least until the dark ride goes extinct and Disney turns itself into Six Flags, perhaps your favorite park other then IoA,not that I don't like IoA, as Spiderman is one of the most innovative rides of our time. My point is to appreciate the dark and family friendly rides and not just say their lame as they don't induce you into vomiting or dizzyness. And beware the monkeys![End Rant]

General Grizz

Original Poster
jrashadb said:
Yow wow... it's the reinforcements! :lol:

As anyone can see, Epcot has plenty of fans, and for good reason.
I won't repeat all the things that have been said here. Just know that regardless of some of the poor decisions that have been made in the park recently, it is still going strong and is still very, very popular... even if the 17-year-olds don't like it.

Gee whiz, my nephew is 17 years old, and Epcot is his "second home" (his first being Magic Kingdom, of course!)

General Grizz

Original Poster
GRIZZLY UPDATE! We just learned that the plans to change Spaceship Earth have RESURFACED.

I REPEAT - the ideas have RESURFACED at WDI.

Brace yourselves. This is gonna be another hot summer.

Michael72688

I love to learn and keep a very open mind, I just am not going to spend a crap load of money to do it. You all have mentioned things and made very good points, I must admit. But I still disagree, in my opinion Universal Orlando is the perfect family destination, and in my opinion beats Disney by leaps and bounds, each park has a great balance of thrills and family rides or attractions, better then the balance at Disney. Last time I checked WDW claimed to be a family resort destination, fun for the entire family, but there is one park that does not accomplish this goal, Epcot. If adults want something to do, go to pleasure island, dont waste 300 + acres for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom