EPCOT to revive old logo!

Lost_in_hollywo

Original Poster
Taken from Screamscape:

(9/4/07) Screamscape has heard that Walt Disney World management has announced to Cast Members that with the removal of the new style Epcot logo from the top of Spaceship Earth, the park will return to using the classic EPCOT Center logo that was retired just before the start of the new Millennium. Suddenly all the reports from the past two weeks about vintage looking EPCOT Center logo merchandise returning to the shelves all makes sense. I’ve heard that new signage is already going up in places, so if you happen to come across one take a picture and send it in.
Thats good news in my opinion.

ROEFan88

That's GREAT news, in my opinion!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the wand text was never a true logo for the park, and was only used on the wand and wand merchandise... :confused:

Does this mean the end of
150px-EpcotLogo.gif

and the re-introduction of
epcot-center-logo-filtered.jpg
???

:sohappy:

EDIT: Yay, 100th post!!!

TheDisneyMagic

I am all for this, even if they only done it for the Year of Epcot 25 and then changed back I wouldn't mind. Even greater if it is permanent. :animwink:

But the question being, will it say Epcot or EPCOT CENTER on the new logo? :lookaroun

hp200lx

I saw a little bit of the logo replacement while I was there last week. They have put the old logo on the windows and doors of the bulk(or group cant remember) ticket sales building as well as the "ropes" they have to keep you in line and in queue they say "we are building a better epcot" and have the old logo. They are definitely going back to the old logo in several place already. It was awesome to see as someone who never got to go to WDW as a kid or see the old epcot.

Speedbird

Any CM's care to comment? Seems like a merchandise only thing to me, T-shirts, mugs and stuff. Good though, will buy some when I go in three weeks time.

Captain Hank

hp200lx said:
I saw a little bit of the logo replacement while I was there last week. They have put the old logo on the windows and doors of the bulk(or group cant remember) ticket sales building as well as the "ropes" they have to keep you in line and in queue they say "we are building a better epcot" and have the old logo. They are definitely going back to the old logo in several place already. It was awesome to see as someone who never got to go to WDW as a kid or see the old epcot.
Not to burst your bubble...but they've always been in those locations. The old logo was never completely removed from the park. I honestly don't know whether this is true or not, but I'm kind of out of the loop at the moment. I do hope that it's true, though!

Blackie Pueblo

I think this would be great! I've seen the logo already on some merchandise and I can't help but yell..."Gimme Gimme... I want I want...":eek:

Here's hoping this is the first sign for a great Anniversary!:sohappy:

"...it was all started by a mouse."
---Walter Elias Disney

I look at this 2 ways.

I am glad to see the old logo come back. But if they keep it past the anniversary, then does that not go against the meaning behind EPCOT to begin with? It's going back in time, not forward into the future.

I LOVE the old logo BTW.

SirNim

Pictures speak louder than words.

This would indeed be a tremendous development, but it requires more substantial confirmation. Here's hoping, however!

WDWFigment

The symbol is one thing; that wouldn't surpise me too much because they can use it in conjuction with the current Epcot text and not have to redo much. My question (like others) is it the old EPCOT script will come back, along with the word "Center"? Any news regarding this is great, if true, but getting that "Center" back would be the icing on the cake!

EpcotMark

The symbol is one thing; that wouldn't surpise me too much because they can use it in conjuction with the current Epcot text and not have to redo much. My question (like others) is it the old EPCOT script will come back, along with the word "Center"? Any news regarding this is great, if true, but getting that "Center" back would be the icing on the cake!

EPCOT CENTER will Never come back in name, and I am glad. It sounds too clunky, people. A few logos of the old symbol would be fine here and there, but I think the current Epcot logo is fine as long as Mickey Mouse and characters dont infest it like they do in too much of Mouse Gear's merchandise.

SDav10495

I am glad to see the old logo come back. But if they keep it past the anniversary, then does that not go against the meaning behind EPCOT to begin with? It's going back in time, not forward into the future.

Well if they do indeed return to the old logo, I think it would be less a matter of nostalgic retro sensibilities (i.e. "going back in time") than it would be a matter of "if it wasn't broke, they shouldn't have fixed it" (i.e. bringing back the touches that made originally EPCOT Center futuristic, like the old logo). Many people say the same thing to EPCOT purists about a number of issues--"why go back when EPCOT is all about moving forward?" What they fail to acknowledge is that "going back" means returning to a time when EPCOT was more forward-thinking.

And in any case, that's IF they return to the old logo...a few things about this report sound fishy to me:

a) They refer to the wand as the "new style Epcot logo"--but the "Epcot" typeface used in the wand never became the park's logo. Aside from being on top of Spaceship Earth, that "logo" was only ever seen a few times in a smattering of merchandise, and usually always as part of an image of the wand--it was rarely used as the park's logo the way they imply.

b) They say the classic EPCOT Center logo was "retired just before the start of the Millennium". Not entirely accurate. Perhaps the old logo--I'm talking the font and the "flower"--could be spotted around the park until the Millennium Celebration (it still can be), but if I recall correctly it was officially done away with in 1994 when EPCOT Center changed its name to "Epcot 94". That's off by about five years.

c) The new retro merchandise should not be mistaken for the reappearance of the old logo. WDW has sold "retro" merchandise numerous times in its history--including at Epcot--and it hasn't ever meant a return to official usage of old logos.

Not that I want to ruin anyone's day. I can't tell you how much I want this report to be true--and I'm not even saying it's false. If Screamscape says they've actually heard something and are not just doing their own speculation, well that means something to me. This rumor certainly would seem to go along with the gradual campaign to bring back what worked about EPCOT Center, and if it really happens I'll be overjoyed. It's just that those three things immediately stood out to me when I read the quote, so I don't think we should blindly get our hopes up in case this turns out to be...less than accurate.

JWG

I'll take a wait and see attitude. And, for those fortuante to be heading to Epcot in the next few months -- Pics please?!

Screamscape has been a little less reliable as of late it seems. Or, they post something fishing for information (ie, pics of survey work at ABC Theater in MGM but no data to go with it).

I also hope it's true, though I think the the EPCOT less Center would be ok, let's face it, we all call it Epcot anyway.

I just pray they don't go to "EPCOT 25" or "EPCOT 07." Want to kill forward looking? Put the year in the name.

SirNim

This is a new logo that they should use... Best of both worlds... a combination of the best of each previous logo!

epcotcentervintage5hh2.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom