EPCOT to revive old logo!

wannab@dis

Long time no see.
:wave: Been a while.

It still bugs me that some believe Disney does anything on a whim. If anyone thinks politicians have surveys/polls down to a science, they are amateurs compared to Disney. I've been surveyed by Disney about magazine names, attraction names, themes, colors, etc many times. They didn't remove the logos because they were popular and successful, they removed them because most people probably didn't make the connection or it was not seen as a major change.

The old logos would age the pavilions easily. Without continual updates, they would be a blaring sign -- 'hey look, I'm the same as I was two decades ago'... but yet the pavilion had hopefully changed and/or been updated. My personal take.. their research showed that many people didn't get the connection of the logos and therefore their removal didn't affect the normal guests.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other. A logo doesn't affect me enjoying my time at Epcot. However, the attractions and entertainment does directly affect my enjoyment and thankfully they have really enhanced Epcot attractions and pavilions lately. It's now becoming a much better park. Hopefully they don't screw up that trend by going retro.

pheneix

It still bugs me that some believe Disney does anything on a whim.

That's because they do in fact, make decisions on a whim. As early as spring of this year there were no plans to do anything for Epcot's 25th anniversary. No ceremony, no pre-opening parties for cast members, nothing. Fast-forward just a few months later and now they're planning an event so big Bob Iger will be in town for it.

tirian

:wave: Been a while.

It still bugs me that some believe Disney does anything on a whim. If anyone thinks politicians have surveys/polls down to a science, they are amateurs compared to Disney. I've been surveyed by Disney about magazine names, attraction names, themes, colors, etc many times. They didn't remove the logos because they were popular and successful, they removed them because most people probably didn't make the connection or it was not seen as a major change.

The old logos would age the pavilions easily. Without continual updates, they would be a blaring sign -- 'hey look, I'm the same as I was two decades ago'... but yet the pavilion had hopefully changed and/or been updated. My personal take.. their research showed that many people didn't get the connection of the logos and therefore their removal didn't affect the normal guests.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other. A logo doesn't affect me enjoying my time at Epcot. However, the attractions and entertainment does directly affect my enjoyment and thankfully they have really enhanced Epcot attractions and pavilions lately. It's now becoming a much better park. Hopefully they don't screw up that trend by going retro.

I think that removing the logos altogether probably made sense in the 90s, but it's time for pavilion symbols to come back (not necessarily the same ones). I'm glad to see that SSE has a new logo under Siemens, because the old logos did help with "Epcot" recognition, even if someone couldn't match the logo to the pavilion.

jmvd20

Sometimes you must "move backwards" to correct mistakes that were made...

In this sense moving backwards is actually a step forward, a step in the right direction. If the path you are on is a dead end you must go back in order to move forward.

The return of the logos could signal the start of WDW linking the attractions at Epcot together under a common theme once again. There is nothing counterproductive about that.

CSUFSteve

I think, for me personally, it's not about the logos themselves, it's about the Epcot (or EPCOT) they symbolize to me.

The old-school logos represent the EPCOT I personally like best. I liked the science of EPCOT, I liked that it was a more adult-oriented park, I liked that it presented factual information and, at least for me, made you think about your "Spaceship Earth", its problems and promise. I miss WorldKey, I miss the old postshow-SSE, I miss when CommuniCore really did show most people things they probably had not seen before. While Epcot still has educational components, my view is that it is greatly watered down and dumbed down for the masses today. To me, EPCOT was a cohesive theme: the Future World pavillions reinforced our responsibility to "this, our Spaceship Earth." World Showcase, reinforced the idea of our responsibility to each other and through "cooperation and understanding" to Spaceship Earth.

That said, and as has been pointed out, Epcot MUST make money. Today, to most people, the way that message was presented before sounds corny and cheesy, something people would roll their eyes at rather than identify with it. People don't want to be "bored" by dry facts and educational science, they want to be entertained, immersed, thrilled, and don't want to realized they're being educated while it's happening. Epcot's attendance start sliding. So Disney had to change. Disney had to recognize the market and make corrections. It's realistic, it's necessary, and it's what ensures Disney can continue to provide the type of entertainment and quality we all still enjoy today. I miss the old EPCOT, always will, but time changes, people change.

And sometimes it's so weird to me because I have a friend: The Epcot of 1999 is the earliest Epcot she knows. She will NEVER know the EPCOT I did. Symbiosis was one of the things I loved about the Land. But I showed it to her and she hated it. Her complaint was that Symbiosis told her what some scientist somewhere was studying to fix things, but that it didn't tell her anything about how SHE could help, what SHE could do - Circle of Life does. I hadn't thought about it from that point of view, but she is right. It just shows to me that future generations, will undoubtedly feel the same way about their Epcot that we do about our EPCOT.

My two cents, please keep the change.

Dukeis#1

This is a new logo that they should use... Best of both worlds... a combination of the best of each previous logo!

epcotcentervintage5hh2.gif

That's actually pretty good. :cool:

However I have to agree with some other posts a few pages back that reinstating the exact logo from 1982 would be ridiculous...that "80s futuristic" font is so dated now it looks like a joke. I mean it has sentimental value of course, however now it would just be out of place.

Perhaps they could do an updated form of the old Epcot "flower" without the same font. (I don't know, less boldness or something) That said, the above idea doesn't look all that bad, especially since it's slightly transparent. Maybe the font could be somewhat altered to lessen the 80s feel.

Blackie Pueblo

I might have missed it somewhere but what exactly does the flower symbol represent and how does it fit into the theme of EPCOT? Just curious.

"To all who come to this happy place... welcome."
---Walter Elias Disney

RSoxNo1

I think retro is in. There were mistakes made in Epcot during the 90s, and this is a good step towards fixing it. I would like to see them rename Futureworld to Discoverland, or some varient.

As for acting on a whim, look no further than the naming of Disney's Hollywood Studios. That seemed to come out of nowhere, and as much as people look down on Jim Hill, he brought up a good point with respect to how close to the official announcement Disney purchased the appropriate web addresses (literally only a week or two before).

Many things require years of planning, but I don't doubt that changes are often made on a whim, albeit educated whims.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I might have missed it somewhere but what exactly does the flower symbol represent and how does it fit into the theme of EPCOT? Just curious.

"To all who come to this happy place... welcome."
---Walter Elias Disney

If you're talking about the EPCOT Center symbol...

1982%20EPCOT.jpg

I always understood it to be a stylized atom/electron orbit

Expo_Seeker40

The EPCOT Center Logo had a description explaining it in various park flyers in its early years. There is a quote from it somewhere online.

However I found some time ago something different on the EPCOT Center flower logo.

From that I mainly understood the logo as representing future world. and the compass rose as representing world showcase. I think that is how they should do it if they do revive the logo. Have the compass rose for world showcase and the flower for future world.

What I found on the flower logo some years ago was a graphic. The flower was made up of smaller logos.

Spaceship Earth was in the middle of course, and then had the universe of energy, world of motion, communicore, imagination, and the land logos inside the circular rings or "pedals".

And that's how I always took the logo, a symbol of the interlocked elemental symbols of the opening day future world pavilions, all a vital part of the Blossom of Tomorrow in the hopes that tomorrow will blossom more beautiful than today. :wave:

Sure beats the current 90s graphic "O" logo.

CBOMB

I was thinking about remodeling my house. Maybe going with some wall-to-wall avocado carpet. How about some harvest-gold appliances for the kitchen? I just don't know, what do you all think?

Expo_Seeker40

Depends on what era. If you're saying , then you're gonna want pizza hut orange tiled floors in your kitchen, formeica panneled cabinents, and amber light fixtures, and don't forget your Sears dark green stove. :dazzle:

brkgnews

From this cool site I know called wdwmagic.com...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/facts!.htm

Logo, Epcot
The logo symbolizes unity, fellowship and harmony around the world. The five outer rings are linked to form the shape of a flower - a celebration of life. The heart of the logo represents the Earth embraced by a star symbolizing hope - the hope that with imagination, commitment and dedication we can create a better tomorrow.

Foolish1

If you're talking about the EPCOT Center symbol...

I always understood it to be a stylized atom/electron orbit

To me at least, it always symbolized "the world coming together for harmony" as well as the merging of many ideas, and combining technology with creativity & imagination to get a better world. (OK, so I am an idealist.)

Just my interpretation, though.

JLW11Hi

I would say go with something all together new.

It isn't just Old Logo vs Current Logo. Keeping old things isn't the best choise and neither is making lower quality new things. I think the solution is to make new, better-quality things. Right?

Sometimes Disney's track record does leave us to think differently. Still, I don't think that the bad decisions of the past should make us afraid to be creative!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom