EPCOT Resorts Cancelled Monorail Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
That's what you and other kept making a stink about. So, even though it wasn't necessary, I delivered.
The details are posted on the website. It includes a comparison of each similar system in the country and a cost by cost analysis. Here's some of the data:

System Length Stops Type City Cost Notes
Miami Metromover 4.4 mi 21 APM Miami, FL $660 m Downtown
MIA Mover 1.25 mi 2 APM Miami, FL Urban
MIA SkyTrain 4 APM Miami, FL Airport
Orlando Airport APM Orlando, FL Airport
Jacksonville Skyway 2.5 mi AMR Jacksonville, Fl $184 m Downtown
Detroit People Mover 3.0 mi 13 APM Detroit, MI $400 m Downtown
Morgantown PRT 8.7 mi 5 PRT Morgantown,WV $140 m College
.. APM Dallas, TX Airport
Huston APM Huston, TX Airport
.. 1.4 mi 4 APM Las Colinas, TX $45 m Private
University Health Peoplemover 1.4 mi 3 APM Indianapolis, IN $21.3 m Private
SkyTrain .. APM Vancouver, BC .. ..
Las Vegas Monorail 3.9 mi 7 AMR Las Vegas, NV $650 m Private

Hrudey3032

Sure, when you give us the facts and figures of your plan. Not someone else's, not Disney's from decades past, but the one you've stated time and time again that you have.

"I will get back to this later when I have time even though I've been posting in this thread nonstop" P. Alt

PeterAlt

Original Poster
"I will get back to this later when I have time even though I've been posting in this thread nonstop" P. Alt
Thanks. I'm thinking of ending it, though, because of the persistence of some to want to crash this party and not have the serious discussion I wanted. This doesn't mean I'm quitting. I'll just move it to some other place where I can control who's in and who's out. The people who are serious about this will stay in. Trolls out. That simple. I'll send invites with links to those people who I believe have a genuine interest in this.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I summons you back to the monorail thread!
I can't speak for any of the other "skeptics" but I'm happy to take the word of someone who says they were there during construction of the footings, particularly as this is likely the closest thing to "proof" we are going to get on this.

I will say that my curiosity on how the precast columns were attached to the footings is somewhat satisfied, as Timon's description sounds reasonable, though I'm not sure it would lend itself to reuse of the footings after several decades. Those holes used to develop the column rebar have likely been full of water/debris for the last 30 years. If TDO really decided they wanted to use them...well, anything's possible if you have enough money.

Thanks @Timon for the firsthand info on the construction process - very interesting!

Hrudey3032

Thanks. I'm thinking of ending it, though, because of the persistence of some to want to crash this party and not have the serious discussion I wanted. This doesn't mean I'm quitting. I'll just move it to some other place where I can control who's in and who's out. The people who are serious about this will stay in. Trolls out. That simple. I'll send invites with links to those people who I believe have a genuine interest in this.

Troll? So says the guy who won't put up any info to how his idea saves money after being asked over and over and for facts. Most people on this thread are tired of hearing you say you have info then beg others to post your "research". So you are going to make discussion private now? You should have done that from start.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I can't speak for any of the other "skeptics" but I'm happy to take the word of someone who says they were there during construction of the footings, particularly as this is likely the closest thing to "proof" we are going to get on this.

I will say that my curiosity on how the precast columns were attached to the footings is somewhat satisfied, as Timon's description sounds reasonable, though I'm not sure it would lend itself to reuse of the footings after several decades. Those holes used to develop the column rebar have likely been full of water/debris for the last 30 years. If TDO really decided they wanted to use them...well, anything's possible if you have enough money.

Thanks @Timon for the firsthand info on the construction process - very interesting!
Thanks for being the few here who is actually interested in having a conversation. I'll write this off as a lesson learned.

NormC

Just put the ones that bother you on your ignore list and keep posting for those of us that are entertained by your ideas. If you move it somewhere else you may as well consider your self added to everyone's ignore list. We will not be summoned or fetched somewhere else. We like it here. Begin your serious discussion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You have yet to provide the exact facts and figures for your plan, the one you were supposedly ready to take to the "engineers" to see if it was viable. You've posted figures from other cities/colleges/airports, but not your exact plan.

Until then, suppose you stop calling anyone asking for your specifics "trolls" or "idiots."

Hrudey3032

I'll respond for everyone else then. As @wm49rs said you posted figures from other cities with different structure and styles but nothing to support your plan. You have not talked about facts and figures for your plan. I can't help it that you look like a idiot because you can't answer questions posed to you. If you had a plan,realistic or not,you could at least answer them. Your numbers could be wrong but at least you answered it and not said I will get back to that. At least I don't go shouting something as fact/happening then summon others because I have no proof.
BTW my aunts best friends cousin is friends with a cardologist who does check ups on Iger. So he truly must be a heartbeat away from the top.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You explained how it would save money over other monorail plans, what you haven't explained is how it will save Disney money on transportation overall or as opposed to other options like more buses.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
You explained how it would save money over other monorail plans, what you haven't explained is how it will save Disney money on transportation overall or as opposed to other options like more buses.
In terms of operating costs only. Buses require diesel fuel. Fuel prices keep going up and will only inflate faster as oil companies drill deeper in more obscure locations. The cost of extracting oil increases as the technology requirements to extract that oil increases. The robotic technology required to extracting oil from locations of increasing obscurity is rapidly reaching that of robotic space probes. Additionally, buses still use combustable engines which means the cost of maintenance must not only include the engine, but also the transmission, fuel injector, ignition, exhaust, carbonator, etc. Monorails only require electric motors for propulsion and are therefore less costly to operate, besides also being clean to the environment. A family vacationing from a city like NY will appreciate the clean air, in addition to the already good Florida weather.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Still no specific facts or figures for that "engineer"-ready plan then....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
In terms of operating costs only. Buses require diesel fuel. Fuel prices keep going up and will only inflate faster as oil companies drill deeper in more obscure locations. The cost of extracting oil increases as the technology requirements to extract that oil increases. The robotic technology required to extracting oil from locations of increasing obscurity is rapidly reaching that of robotic space probes. Additionally, buses still use combustable engines which means the cost of maintence must not only include the engine, but also the transmission, fuel injector, ignition, exhaust, carbonator, etc. Monorails only require electric motors for propulsion and are therefore less costly to operate, besides also being clean to the environment. A family vacationing from a city like NY will appreciate the clean air, in addition to the already good Florida weather.
Have you ever looked up how much electricity is generated from the burning of fossil fuels?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Have you ever looked up how much electricity is generated from the burning of fossil fuels?
That's a valid point. The electric grid is slowly switching to renewable sources. Florida is slow in making the transition. Most of Florida electricity comes from coal and natural gas, followed by nuclear (which is clean to the air). FPL has built up solar but that's just a small percentage right now, but is more than what it was just a few years ago which was like nothing. States like California and Nevada are experiencing hyper acceleration of renewable energy production. Some of that can be sent to the national grid.

There is a research project going on at FAU with the goal of using the jet stream off the east coast to power underwater turbines. They say there's enough potential power there to power the entire state. That's 100% renewal and generates a steady flow of power per turbine 24/7. Another research project is studying the extremely cold water off the coast and piping it in to source cool air conditioning systems. This would cut electrical use dramatically.

I would like to see a future governor support both projects and work with private industry and the Federal government to get these on line. Disney could potentially be one of the early pioneers.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's a valid point. The electric grid is slowly switching to renewable sources. Florida is slow in making the transition. Most of Florida electricity comes from coal and natural gas, followed by nuclear (which is clean to the air). FPL has built up solar but that's just a small percentage right now, but is more than what it was just a few years ago which was like nothing. States like California and Nevada are experiencing hyper acceleration of renewable energy production. Some of that can be sent to the national grid.

There is a research project going on at FAU with the goal of using the jet stream off the east coast to power underwater turbines. They say there's enough potential power there to power the entire state. That's 100% renewal and generates a steady flow of power per turbine 24/7. Another research project is studying the extremely cold water off the coast and piping it in to source cool air conditioning systems. This would cut electrical use dramatically.

I would like to see a future governor support both projects and work with private industry and the Federal government to get these on line. Disney could potentially be one of the early pioneers.

I am skeptical the alternative energy will ever be able to take the place of fossil fuels. Even if it can it's human nature not to respond to the change until it's to late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom