Epcot New Year's Eve madness (photos and wait times)

RSoxNo1

Getting out of the parking lot was terrible, it took nearly 2 hours from waiting for the tram to finally getting out of Disney property.

The bathrooms around America and Germany had huge lines. The temporary ones were "broke down" :shrug: maybe someone pulled the toilet handle too hard, and they had to evacuate the porta potties. Sadly, I doubt they got bathroom fastpasses.

The park wasn't as crowded as I thought it was though, I imagined wall to wall people, but I could get around WS in a kind of timely manner. There were still some spots to see the fireworks around the lagoon like 1 hour before they started. Didn't even bother to go on any rides.

We had a reservation at Captain's Grille during the day so we escaped through the international gateway right after fireworks and were back to our condo on 192 by 12:40.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
We parked at EPCOT at 1pm, went in to the back door and headed to DHS for the comedy warehouse show. Then after eating at DHS(MUCH lower crowds) headed back to EPCOT. Spent some time inside the pub at UK with Pam Brody, then got hats in America and headed to Mexico for a margarita. Everything moved along great until the fireworks started. At that point, the CMs directing traffic completely lost control as people just stopped to watch the first Illuminations show. After getting a margarita and hitting the street again, it was a much much much more packed with traffic completely stopped at several points. I said it's like I4 on foot!

We hit China for the start of the dancing, then eventually moved over to Italy and parked ourselves there until the midnight fireworks. Indeed, a little annoying that EPCOT was late and MK was perfectly in sync, but I guess that's why they do 2 shows.

Being a veteran to the EPCOT holiday experience, I knew world drive would be a mess, so we did not even attempt to leave Italy until at least 12:30. By the time we got to our car, traffic started moving. That's why I always say, be ahead or behind the crowd, don't be in it.

A good time was had by all. It's so packed in there and they don't even hit capacity, but that's because they have so many rides that hold so many people, they can really pack people into the park.

bayoutinkbelle

A friend and I spent the morning at Animal Kingdom and basked - BASKED!!!! - in the light crowds and great times.

Took a bus over to Epcot around 1 p.m., and headed to The Land for lunch at Sunshine Seasons. When we went inside, wait time for Soarin' was four hours and, for Living with the Land, 50 minutes. A family leaving a table was so very nice to motion to us so we could sit down. Got our food, ate, returned the favor to another family searching for a table.

Went out to Nemo. Wait time was 45 minutes, but we waited about 30. Next was Spaceship Earth. Wait time was 60 minutes, but again we waited 30 minutes.

We went to Captain EO because neither one of us had seen it. Whoa! Serious 80s flashback!! :ROFLOL:

Then we went to World Showcase, hung out during first showing of Illuminations, then found a spot at the front for the 11:40 show. We sat, relaxed, people-watched and had a bite to eat while waiting for 3.5 hours. We were hardly the only ones to do this.

Gotta say that 99.9 percent of the people we met during all that were wonderful. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to spend NY at WDW again.

Here's just a few photos I posted to my FB of the crowds.

By 1 a.m., we'd walked out of Epcot through the International Gateway and headed over to Hollywood Studios. Finally made it back to our room at Pop at 3 a.m. An exhausting but fantastic day!

Timekeeper

monorail_lawn_nappers.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Good grief! It almost looks like a few of those people to the left of the monorail could reach up and touch it if they wanted to! Surely that's just the way the pic is and not possible. I can't imagine people would be allowed there if it was possible. Right? :shrug:

ArtieJim

Epcot this past New Year's Eve was by far the worst experience I've ever had at a Disney park, it was cool to do once, but never, ever, again. Every other day we were down there was fine, it seemed like all the crazies (stupids) decide to converge on Epcot this one night. Oh well, still had a great trip. TR coming soon.

worldfanatic

Current wait times:

Soarin: 240 minutes
Malestrom: 65 minutes
Ellen's Energy Adventure: 25 minutes
Grand Fiesta Tour: 20 minutes
Captian EO: 10 minutes
Mission Space: 80 minutes
The Seas With Nemo and Friends: 60 minutes
Living With The Land: 30 minutes
Test Track: 115 minutes
Spaceship Earth: 60 minutes
Journey Into Your Imagination With Figment: 35 minutes

My first thought when seeing these wait times:

WHY WOULD ANYBODY WAIT 10 MINUTES FOR CAPTAIN EO?????
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

WDW1974

Epcot this past New Year's Eve was by far the worst experience I've ever had at a Disney park, it was cool to do once, but never, ever, again. Every other day we were down there was fine, it seemed like all the crazies (stupids) decide to converge on Epcot this one night. Oh well, still had a great trip. TR coming soon.

well, one could say this about being anywhere on NYE ... people who can't handle alcohol and think being obnoxious in public is soemthing to be proud of come out from under their rocks.

Disney is actually one of the better places to be in my experience. But after doing NYE at EPCOT or MK multiple times in the 80s and 90s, EPCOT for both the celebrated Millennium (1999) and the real one (2000) and DL (2002), I decided that it simply wasn't worth it. I just don't enjoy being in crowds, and I do feel for anyone who 'has' to take a vacation during that week because the wait times are absurd.

~Revenge: It's Not Just For Breakfast Anymore!~

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but I worked Epcot Future World Custodial on NYE and lemme tell you, from what I saw on the first page these times are severely off. Soarin got up to a 4 1/2 hour wait, while Test Track was at a 4 hour wait. SSE was (at its highest) an hour wait. That's all I remember off hand, and it was nuts. I was at Test Track all night. So if you saw that custodial guy frantically pulling trash all night, that was me!:ROFLOL:

Timekeeper

Good grief! It almost looks like a few of those people to the left of the monorail could reach up and touch it if they wanted to! Surely that's just the way the pic is and not possible. I can't imagine people would be allowed there if it was possible. Right? :shrug:

The same thing crossed my mind. I think that someone like Shaq might be able to touch it, but even then it would be difficult because of the silver safety panels that are clearly in place here. You wouldn't be reaching straight up; you'd have to reach up and around the barrier, which is impossible for anyone of mortal height. :)

But yes, that's not an optical illusion, the track is pretty low to the ground (grassy knoll) at this part of the track.

tecowdw

Mini Trip Report

For the first time, I was at Disney on NYE. I was expecting the worst in crowds and was pleasantly surprised. It was VERY crowded, especially the typical bottleneck areas, but it was doable. I knew rides were not even in the cards and I was okay with that. I thought it would be shoulder to shoulder all night. The worst part, by far, was the wait for women's restroom. 30 minutes is just ridiculous and one lady jumped the men's short 5 minute line and went in there.
:eek:

We got to Epcot about 3:30 via International Gateway. We had 5pm dinner at Nine Dragons. That is my last preferred option but at 60 days out, it was all that was available before 4pm. It was packed but we were seated right on time and the meal was a lot better than I had anticipated. Food was coming out FAST!

We walked around for the next hour and caught the first Illuminations beside America pavilion. Well, I did - she was in the 30 minute bathroom line during the whole show.

I was amazed when the dance parties started right after wards. We thought there were fire trucks at Italy when the techno party started. :lol:
Epcot took on a whole different vibe!! I've never experienced this type of club environment before.

We walked around WS to Fountain of Nations. Found a bench :sohappy: and parked it for the next 3 hours listening to that dance party. Around 11:15 we headed toward WS via the Canada side. The taped off boxes on both sides of the walkway were packed like sardines! We made it to the France pavilion and found a good spot behind the crepe building.

Show was fantastic!! I love how they highlight each country that had already reached the new year with fireworks directly behind those buildings. I don't notice things like it being off by a minute. :shrug:

Right after the show, we merged into the exit crowd and made our way back to the Yacht Club. I think we were in bed by 12:45.

I have always wanted to do NYE at Disney World. The crowds have always been the deterrent though in combination with the prices and weather. I'm not interested in doing that in rain or cold temps. I am so glad we went this year!! Everything went super - being able to walk back to the resort and the beautiful weather were highlights outside the show!

About the only thing I could complain about was the 29 hour flight delay on the way home! Damn lake-effect snow!
:fork:

I'm not sure I would do it again though. The prices for everything are so high during that time frame. The amount I paid for hotel and airfare was CRAZY! However, it completed an item on my bucket list!
:drevil:

Happy 2012 everyone!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom